Page 1 of 17
What do you guys think?

I personally think its stupid.
Why should old men in a court have the right to take the life of a man..
even if he did kill someone, your stooping right down to his level when killing him.

What do you guys think?
Add Me!

If man is five...
If the devil is six...
If GOD IS SEVEN...

I think this can only go badly.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Last edited by Jaymz_515 at Nov 10, 2009,
Killing people is bad, if you kill people we'll kill you...

...wait, shit.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm halfway in between getting rid of life sentence altogether and death penalty.
I mean why should tax payers have the burden of furthuring the life of someone who won't be rehabilitated back into society?
But why should anyone go to jail for life if they won't be rehabilitated in the first place..
i think if you killed someone, the person you killed should get to kill you!

wait wut?
I believe in the death penalty. Some people are just twisted f*cks that shouldn't be allowed to live.

/lifeoftwistedmother****ingserialmurderingrapistmorons
Sorry to piss on your bonfire dude, it's a good question, but there's already a really good thread on it here, just bump this, it'll be more constructive than starting a new one and you're likely to get more useful replies.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127446&highlight=capital+punishment

*reported*
Don't kill 'em criminals, they suffer more if they have to live with that prisonsh*t!
Quote by LordBishek
Sorry to piss on your bonfire dude, it's a good question, but there's already a really good thread on it here, just bump this, it'll be more constructive than starting a new one and you're likely to get more useful replies.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127446&highlight=capital+punishment

*reported*

First off, this post just screamed Kanye at me.

Second, the last post was 6 months ago. Reviving the dead is worse than starting a new thread in most cases.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I'm halfway in between getting rid of life sentence altogether and death penalty.
I mean why should tax payers have the burden of furthuring the life of someone who won't be rehabilitated back into society?
But why should anyone go to jail for life if they won't be rehabilitated in the first place..

The whole "inalienable right to life" thing mainly.

I trust the government with a lot of stuff, the power of life and death is not one of them.

Oh, and the Death Penalty works out as more expensive.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Searchbar, i think this has been done like 20 times.

I think that getting the death penalty isn't as bad as life in jail, but that's just a thought more than an opinion.
There be no shelter here.
In absolutely no situation whatsoever does any human have the right to take the life of another.

EDIT: Also killing a death-row inmate turns out to be more expensive than keeping them locked up forever.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Black Star

Second, the last post was 6 months ago. Reviving the dead is worse than starting a new thread in most cases.

We don't want 100 threads on the same topic with millions of users not knowing which one to use.
Quote by Black Star

Hey! I like Taylor Swift!

And maybe, in some cases it works, in some cases it doesn't. That thread was really good, and it'll likely attract more regulars than new posters, which will generally lead to a better quality of comments. It'll also minimise repetition.

See how it runs, I'm just flagging it
Quote by courtkid1012

I think that getting the death penalty isn't as bad as life in jail, but that's just a thought more than an opinion.

i think id rather live than die....but i have never been in jail, nor died....so what do i know?
i say...death penalty all the way!
or we should just have they kill each other off till one of them wins and let him go free.
w8 wut?

but yeah sure old guys saying if you die or not is bad, but who gave you the right to kill somebody, unless that person killed somebody, or that person raped somebody, or something else bad, then sure kill em.

i just say a eye for a eye..and we have the responsibility of killing if they have killed, in my opinion....
law abiding citizen anybody?
i <3 asian girls.
Quote by Z_cup_boy

Because it costs more to kill them.
Quote by jrock888000
or we should just have they kill each other off till one of them wins and let him go free.
w8 wut?

but yeah sure old guys saying if you die or not is bad, but who gave you the right to kill somebody, unless that person killed somebody, or that person raped somebody, or something else bad, then sure kill em.

Did this make sense to anybody else?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by jrock888000
w8 wut?

i just say a eye for a eye..and we have the responsibility of killing if they have killed, in my opinion....
law abiding citizen anybody?

Awesome, you've just made the right to life a privilege based on conditions.

I can't believe people actually use the "eye for an eye" thing to justify anything when on the tip of everyone's tongue is "...Leaves the whole world blind".

Quote by Kyle.E
From a practical view, yes; it's more economical.

Economics has no place in the discussion of human life.

It's incredibly callous to decide that someone should die because it's economical.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Kyle.E

That's why the death penalty is bad; it reduces humans to objects that can be thrown away to save money.
Quote by Chromex
That's why the death penalty is bad; it reduces humans to objects that can be thrown away to save money.

...not to mention the fact that it DOESN'T save money.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Kyle.E

No it isn't. And that's a disgusting way to look at humanity.
Quote by LordBishek
Hey! I like Taylor Swift!

And maybe, in some cases it works, in some cases it doesn't. That thread was really good, and it'll likely attract more regulars than new posters, which will generally lead to a better quality of comments. It'll also minimise repetition.

See how it runs, I'm just flagging it

I do agree to that. Mainly, I just don't want to hear the same people that say "lolz searchbarz" to say "old threadz r oldsz!!!1!", which is what usually happens.

Also, repetition will be there anyways. Half of the posters don't bother to read previous posts.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Oh, I just saw this post I made in the other thread

The death penalty is pointless.
1) It is barbaric, and if there is one power the government should not have it is certainly the power of life and death over it's citizens.
2) Every single living person has the right to life, regardless of what they have done with their lives. The right to life, along with many other rights, are universal and inalienable, if they can be taken away for any reason whatsoever then they are not rights, they are privileges. Rights must be universal and inalienable, otherwise they are not rights. That's the entire point.
3) The death penalty is not even cost effective, in order to ensure that innocent people are not executed and to administer the system in any kind of a reasonable fashion it costs more to put them to death than it does to keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives.
4) The death penalty does not act as a deterrent to future criminals. I can provide graphs if anyone wants them which shows no correlation between death penalty and crime rates. Crime rates are not lower in areas with the death penalty, they do not rise in areas that abolish the death penalty. The simple reason for this is that most murders are committed in the heat of a moment, and if they are the cold and calculated type of murderer then they believe that they will not get caught. This is the opinion of world renowned social psychologists such as David G. Myers.
5) People are better than the worst thing that they have ever done. Nelson Mandela was an admitted terrorist. The man himself refuses to deny that his actions in terrorist groups have resulted in deaths. Were he to be executed, as some jurisdictions would have done, then all of the good that he did later in life would have been wiped out by some bad actions earlier. The world would be a much poorer place for that.
6) If even one innocent man is put to death then we are all guilty of murder.
7) Even if the death penalty were more cost efficient (it is not) to say that a person should live or die based on economics is callous in the worst sense.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I'm pretty against it. It's very unsual to be 100% sure that the person convicted of the crime actually committed it. I also think death row is equally bad, i'm not sure if it's completely correct but I was told the person that's been in death row for the longest amount of time has been there for 30 years or so (If I remember correctly..), which is solitary confinement, in a box room, etc, which IMO is torture.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
*Summary of thread-ending points that most likely will not be read by anyone arguing the opposing side*

Yeah.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Black Star
I do agree to that. Mainly, I just don't want to hear the same people that say "lolz searchbarz" to say "old threadz r oldsz!!!1!", which is what usually happens.

Also, repetition will be there anyways. Half of the posters don't bother to read previous posts.

That's why I said minimise .

But I predict the same people will end up dominating the discussion in this thread as the previous. Ur All $hit, Meths, Craigo, etc.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Oh, I just saw this post I made in the other thread

The death penalty is pointless.
1) It is barbaric, and if there is one power the government should not have it is certainly the power of life and death over it's citizens.
2) Every single living person has the right to life, regardless of what they have done with their lives. The right to life, along with many other rights, are universal and inalienable, if they can be taken away for any reason whatsoever then they are not rights, they are privileges. Rights must be universal and inalienable, otherwise they are not rights. That's the entire point.
3) The death penalty is not even cost effective, in order to ensure that innocent people are not executed and to administer the system in any kind of a reasonable fashion it costs more to put them to death than it does to keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives.
4) The death penalty does not act as a deterrent to future criminals. I can provide graphs if anyone wants them which shows no correlation between death penalty and crime rates. Crime rates are not lower in areas with the death penalty, they do not rise in areas that abolish the death penalty. The simple reason for this is that most murders are committed in the heat of a moment, and if they are the cold and calculated type of murderer then they believe that they will not get caught. This is the opinion of world renowned social psychologists such as David G. Myers.
5) People are better than the worst thing that they have ever done. Nelson Mandela was an admitted terrorist. The man himself refuses to deny that his actions in terrorist groups have resulted in deaths. Were he to be executed, as some jurisdictions would have done, then all of the good that he did later in life would have been wiped out by some bad actions earlier. The world would be a much poorer place for that.
6) If even one innocent man is put to death then we are all guilty of murder.
7) Even if the death penalty were more cost efficient (it is not) to say that a person should live or die based on economics is callous in the worst sense.

This video disagrees with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ

Quote by LordBishek
But I predict the same people will end up dominating the discussion in this thread as the previous. Ur All $hit, Meths, Craigo, etc.
As they do in any thread that actually involves legitimate discussion on any topic that's not entirely asinine.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Yeah, I think it should apply, but only in extreme cases.
But then somebody might argue and living for the rest of your life in prison, is worse than dying anyway.
And then, more people would argue that what gives other men right to kill the man? Surely then, they're just as bad as him?
I think, that it's kinda stupid, us paying for criminals to live out the rest of their lives in prison.

But then again, life in prison would probably be worse than dying a non-painful death.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I'm all for the death penalty. The penalty for taking a mans life should be death. And if I caught some guy raping my daughter, I'd probably try to kill him myself. Rapists and murderers should all get the chair.

Just my opinion.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
And then, more people would argue that what gives other men right to kill the man? Surely then, they're just as bad as him?
Yep.
I think, that it's kinda stupid, us paying for criminals to live out the rest of their lives in prison.

This argument shows up in practically every pro-death penalty post, and it's not valid.
Quote by skaterskagg1
I'm all for the death penalty. The penalty for taking a mans life should be death. And if I caught some guy raping my daughter, I'd probably try to kill him myself. Rapists and murderers should all get the chair.

Okay, ignoring the rest of your post for now, what in the WORLD caused you to suggest rape should be punishable by death?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
An eye for an eye leaves two people blind: the victim and the punished.

"..leaves the whole world blind" is the stupidest thing anyone has ever said. It is based on the idea of revenge as opposed to justice. And justice should be the foundation of law.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Nov 10, 2009,
kill the ****ers
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.