Page 1 of 3
I live in Tampa, Fl, home of the Death Metal, but the scene isn't as big as it used to(or so I was told as I was too young to attend any Death Metal acts in the early 90's). I go to two bars that was popular then and still has a lot of Metal bands play, and they usually charge around 5 to 20 dollars. I did see Obituary and Vital Remains, but most bands that play now are starting out. Most bands play Death Metal, though we do get a few share on what is called 'Metalcore'. Nice people, both the fans and the band, but it would have been cool if I was attending these bars 20 years ago.

How is the scene in your town like? Is there a big metal fanbase there?

PS. When I worked at Best Buy, I used to see Chris Barnes all the time. Whenever he shows up, he has that facial expression that he wants to kill someone, even when he is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sandals.
Last edited by thejoeman at Nov 10, 2009,
St.Albans has a semi decent metal scene, you seem to see a lot more Generi-core bands than true metal bands though
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
the scene where i live is really terrible! its basically all screamo and deathcore. the kind of thing which scene kids listen to. other than that its just hippys, living in devon also means that barely any decent bands come down either
I wish there was a metal scene here. Metal bands around here are sort of like sasquatches and ufos...You hear about them, yeah. But you never see them.
Montreal,

Great scene here, downtown we have atleast a half dozen metal bar/venues so there is always a show to see. Its mostly Thrash, (goodish)Punk, and some doom. Except for the French this city is gr1m.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Non-existant. I've gotten the crap kicked outta me several times simply for walking down the street with long hair wearing a metallica t-shirt.
Sorry to here that. I am assuming there is a lot of punk bands that reside around your area.
Quote by robhc
Non-existant. I've gotten the crap kicked outta me several times simply for walking down the street with long hair wearing a metallica t-shirt.

Thats what you get for living in Northern Ireland AND liking Metalica.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
It seems like lots of Swedes and other tourists that are into metal but they don't live here. The locals like the Worlds crappiest music, muchacha...it almost makes me move away from here. They blast it out of their cars like its cool or something.
It's pretty awful now.

it used to be so awesome man with all the heavy metal bands but now it's full of generic -core bands.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Two bands - Ignominious Incarceration and Trigger the Bloodshed - have made a notable amount of success from Bath, my hometown. But it's nothing amazing; I haven't much interest in the local scene anyway.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
The metal scene in my town is improving majorly I gotta say. I introduced many of my friends to metal, you go downtown here and you feel like it's slowly but steadily becoming a nice scene. I mean we do have bands like Annihilator that have come out of this area, so yeah it's decent for what it is.
I drink your milkshake.
Some pretty good bands. Book of Job would probably be my favourite, pretty good prog/ alternative metal.

Myspaz

They are just starting out but are recording an album in December and have one of the most intense live shows I've seen. Very tight live, if you're in the area I'd recommend checking them out.
The only bands I know from my town are Kreator and Caliban, Sodom come from the neighboring town, their guitarist is from Essen though.
I have never met a real-life metal fan.

That being said, there is no scene.

Though Judas Iscariot lives like two blocks from me...But no fans. Disturbed is about the most metal thing listened to around here.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha

Though Judas Iscariot lives like two blocks from me...But no fans. Disturbed is about the most metal thing listened to around here.

wtf are you from?
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock

so true ^.

Quote by smb

PM me for GP5
Quote by k1ng_pooh
wtf are you from?

Considering that Judas Iscariot have been mentioned, I think you could easily find out where he lives.
Poor, but when I went back to Ohio for a couple weeks I went to a Gamestop and the clerk used to hang with Jack Owen back in the 90's.

Anyways, the scene here consists of a grind band, a thrash or two, a death metal band every once and awhile, tons of metalcore, and (sadly) everything I've played with.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Manchester has a pretty decent Metal scene. Mainly seems to be Black Metal bands too, with a folkier edge along the lines of Ulver.
Pretty small around here, but I also havn't really gotten into the scene very much. We do have Nekrogoblikon though, so I'm pretty content.
Um. There's a good number of bands who sound like Job for a Cowboy and The Black Dahlia Murder had a baby. There's a few slam bands that either involved Mark Rawles (ie suck huge dick) or don't do live shows. Then there's a couple more straightforward death and deathgrind bands.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You say this so often

My town, Austin TX, has a pretty good metal scene, being the "live music capital of the world", I have about 15 friends who listen to metal, so yeah.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
We got our fair share of deathcore and other core. In our hayday, we were one of the best death metal cities. Recent good bands would be Hate Eternal, Cheap Trick, The Absence, and Gigan.
It's pretty non-existant. We have one big metal band, Machinae Supremacy and that's about it. Sure us the small bands can get gigs, but if we want to play at an all metal show we have to organize it ourselves.

My band actually put up a show with three bands, us, another local band plus these guys headlining http://www.myspace.com/chaossworn
There were about a hundred people there, which was extremely good since the flier mistakenly said it had a small entrance fee and wasn't free as intended. We had expected about 20 people showing up...

This gives me hope for the local scene and we will try do do something like that again in the future. Hopefully other people will try and do something too.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Nov 10, 2009,
Where I'm from in El Paso, there's not really a metal scene per se, there are some good bands, but nothing amazing, and there are a fair amount of metal heads at the University according to my brother, but over here in Las Cruces, I've met one guy that listens to metal, and I don't know any bands here aside from his who are more punk oriented. You guys are pretty much the only metal heads I converse with.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Florida used to have a really great Death Metal scene it's full of scene ***s now. To think that morbid angel was formed 2 hours away from my town
Quote by NO11YOU
Florida used to have a really great Death Metal scene it's full of scene ***s now. To think that morbid angel was formed 2 hours away from my town

I would be pissed too if Morbid Angel formed 2 hours away from where I live.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
It's funny, the metal scene organized without internet and the help of any mainstream media in the 80's, to think it would shrink to the size it is now, it's pretty mind blowing.
Quote by KreatorRage
It's funny, the metal scene organized without internet and the help of any mainstream media in the 80's, to think it would shrink to the size it is now, it's pretty mind blowing.

There aren't any new big movements in the metal community right now. As soon as the next big thing comes along, the scene will grow again. But until then, we have to do our best to survive.
lots of core here, but a few good bands to keep me around.
Valhalla I am coming!!!

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
there is one metal band here and they're ok...i'm trying to start one but in WV there are mostly rednecks here so not much chance to really do anything..there are also a couple horror punk bands here that don't completely suck
I live in the Bronx so there is practically no scene at all. I go all around the state though and I have not scene one one gig where it was all metal. I have not scene any gigs where the metals bands weren't generic grindcore or death metal (some death metal bands are ok though). New York is pretty much all Hardcore punk.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Nov 10, 2009,
Page 1 of 3