I'm about to pick one up but I want to check something up. I heard it was quite loud for a practice amp even on the 1/4 Watt setting.

I have an AD30VT I'm trying to shift. Around what loudness would the 1/4 Watt setting be equivalent to on that? I played that with the Power Level a little under half. I'm an in apartment but I'm not squashed up against other people so I can afford some volume, just not too much.

The alternative I was looking at in the other thread was the HT-5 which has a volume knob, but sounded kind of weak at lower volumes when I tried it in the store.
I have the AD30VT-XL and the rating for the Power Level knob is supposed to be 0.1w to 30w. I don't know how linear it is though.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I've got the AC4TV8, which goes into 1/10 watt mode. When I'm home alone, I run it through 4 watts with the volume halfway up and use a Little Big Muff Pi, which is really loud. Same settings but in 1 watt mode is what I use when family is in the house and I want to play. It's still audible throughout the house, but not obnoxiously so. When night time comes I run it in 1/10 watt same setting so not to disturb anyone sleeping. I have the luxury of not having neighbors, but I think you should be able to gauge your volume need from that. I live in a full size, two story house, so I'd say 4 watts is out of the question and probably 1 watt depending on your apartment size may be as well.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
I have the AC4TV (10 inch speaker) and live in a flat. On 1/4 setting I have volume up to about 6/7 and it's loud enough without being inappropriate so as to piss the neighbours off.

I couldn't really comment on a comparison to the AD30 but i honestly don't think that you should worry about it being too loud.

Also i was going to post a comment on your other thread, as in october I was in exactly the same position as you; wasn't sure whether to get the AC4 or an HT5. Glad to hear you want to go for the vox as well.

IMO the HT5 seemed like a good all-round amp. But the Vox felt special. Firstly the warmth of the tone I felt was exceptional for such a small amp. Secondly the HT5 was more expensive, and with it's various settings I felt I would be paying for stuff that i might not necessarily use. That said if we're using the term 'headroom' in the most generic sense (as was done in the other thread) then i agree that that HT5 has more.

The way I categorised them in my head was like the difference between CD and Vinyl. With vinyl you get that warm, organic and natural sound even if it isn't 'perfect' (the sound does break up at moderately high volumes on the AC4). The HT5 on the other hand was fantastic - clean, efficient, good all-round capabilities, does exactly what you want it to and the sound is still great. But at the end of the day you'd rather listen to the beatles on vinyl than on CD, no matter how good the sound quality is on CD versions.

(^ I know that's all very subjective, but that is how I felt about them)
Quote by Duv
I have the AC4TV (10 inch speaker) and live in a flat. On 1/4 setting I have volume up to about 6/7 and it's loud enough without being inappropriate so as to piss the neighbours off.

I couldn't really comment on a comparison to the AD30 but i honestly don't think that you should worry about it being too loud.

Also i was going to post a comment on your other thread, as in october I was in exactly the same position as you; wasn't sure whether to get the AC4 or an HT5. Glad to hear you want to go for the vox as well.

IMO the HT5 seemed like a good all-round amp. But the Vox felt special. Firstly the warmth of the tone I felt was exceptional for such a small amp. Secondly the HT5 was more expensive, and with it's various settings I felt I would be paying for stuff that i might not necessarily use. That said if we're using the term 'headroom' in the most generic sense (as was done in the other thread) then i agree that that HT5 has more.

The way I categorised them in my head was like the difference between CD and Vinyl. With vinyl you get that warm, organic and natural sound even if it isn't 'perfect' (the sound does break up at moderately high volumes on the AC4). The HT5 on the other hand was fantastic - clean, efficient, good all-round capabilities, does exactly what you want it to and the sound is still great. But at the end of the day you'd rather listen to the beatles on vinyl than on CD, no matter how good the sound quality is on CD versions.

(^ I know that's all very subjective, but that is how I felt about them)

This must be a reoccurring trait, as it is the same exact reason I went for the Vox. Had a warmth, depth, and complexity that is pretty unheard of for an amp that size in that price.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
^ In terms of its price I was gobsmacked. I was sitting there in the shop thinking "Why when i first started guitar did i not get something like this instead of a Marshall MG". Admittedly in terms of variety it hasn't got much, but the sound quality is excellent (as well as loud).

For the price it's definitely worth it, especially with the 10" speaker.
I'm looking into getting one this xmas and the volume of the thing has been my main concern..still waiting to trial one though.

Thrench
Its not so loud that everyone will hate you for using it. It was honestly pretty tame when I tried one out at Guitar Center on the 1/4 watt setting with the 8-inch speaker. Nothing I would be afraid of cranking in an apartment.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
On the 1/4 watt mode, it's pretty quiet. Very little headroom, but it's very quiet.
Quote by Natrone
Its not so loud that everyone will hate you for using it. It was honestly pretty tame when I tried one out at Guitar Center on the 1/4 watt setting with the 8-inch speaker. Nothing I would be afraid of cranking in an apartment.

That's 1/10th of a Watt on the 8 inch model

The 8 incher doesn't sound as good though.
Don't get the one with the 8" speaker. Sounds much more tame.

I reiterate. I live in an apartment in London, which hasn't got the thickest walls and doors in the world and on 1/4W setting i can essentially play as loud as I want without being inappropriately loud.

Basically this amp will be loud enough for when you want it to be reasonably loud, and quiet enough when you want it to be so you won't annoy the neighbours.

Please don't worry about this too much.
I use the AC4 head with a 2x12 in a dorm room and I haven't had anyone complain about it. I usually play it with the volume at about a quarter of the way up on 1/4w setting.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS