Poll: Which one do you like the most?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one do you like the most?
Jackson KV5FR
19 26%
Jackson SL3
28 39%
ESP/LTD EC-401VF
11 15%
ESP/LTD EX-401DX
7 10%
ESP/LTD V-401DX
7 10%
Voters: 72.
I am looking for a guitar built for speed. I play alot of Thrash, Death, and Black metal and was wondering which guitar that you guys would choose. Here are the axes that caught my eye so far.

Jackson KV5FR King V
Jackson SL3 Soloist
ESP/LTD EC-401 VF
ESP/LTD EX-401DX
ESP/LTD V-401DX
ESP hands down
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Jackson hands down!

don't listen to cob fanboys!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
ec401
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Since Guitar Center has started carrying the LTD and ESP line I have gotten to play a lot of LTDs and ESPs. The LTDs just do not compare to Jackson so I would get the Jackson KV5FR King V over any of the LTDs. Now if we were talking an actual ESP and not it's wannabe I might have picked the ESP.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Since Guitar Center has started carrying the LTD and ESP line I have gotten to play a lot of LTDs and ESPs. The LTDs just do not compare to Jackson so I would get the Jackson KV5FR King V over any of the LTDs. Now if we were talking an actual ESP and not it's wannabe I might have picked the ESP.

John

I agree with this, mainly because the SL3 is an "upper midrange" model Jackson, and the ESP is in a higher price bracket.

As for these options, the SL 3 gives you the most for your money in my opinion. I have experience with this axe, and for the price I highly recommend it.

Also, check out some used USA SL-1s. Sometimes you can find these cheaper than a new Japanese made SL 3.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I have a RX10D with a licensed Floyd Rose and have had alot of problems with it. Are real Floyds better or the same. If so, i think I might go with a regular V-401 with no floyd.

Is the Floyd on the SL3 an original?
Quote by MetalBluesMan3
I have a RX10D with a licensed Floyd Rose and have had alot of problems with it. Are real Floyds better or the same. If so, i think I might go with a regular V-401 with no floyd.

Is the Floyd on the SL3 an original?

Yes it is.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL3-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=520334&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=361428628
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
On second thought. Going with ESP just wouldn't be right. Jacksons look way better and ESP only cares about the more expensive guitars.
Quote by Richmanofaction
I agree with this, mainly because the SL3 is an "upper midrange" model Jackson, and the ESP is in a higher price bracket.

As for these options, the SL 3 gives you the most for your money in my opinion. I have experience with this axe, and for the price I highly recommend it.

Also, check out some used USA SL-1s. Sometimes you can find these cheaper than a new Japanese made SL 3.

What?! I do hope you're not talking about the ts' selection of guitars because they are by far no where near the higher price bracket.

TS have you looked at the LTD deluxe model they are roughly now around $600-$700 bucks off SamAsh I think (gregs1020 I think that's his username might have some more info for you). And more importantly have you tried out any of the guitars yet?
LTD are cool but I would only get the 1000 series, and the King V is awesome. But the SL3 is more versatile and plays great.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
ive played esp, jackson rapes them
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
if youre just looking for these metal genres, the king v does it all and i also believe the king v have a better floyd rose that isnt liscenced by jackson

edit: dont quote me on that it appears that some models maybe the older ones came with licensed trems the new ones come with floyds now, or vice versa
Last edited by sirlaser at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What?! I do hope you're not talking about the ts' selection of guitars because they are by far no where near the higher price bracket.

TS have you looked at the LTD deluxe model they are roughly now around $600-$700 bucks off SamAsh I think (gregs1020 I think that's his username might have some more info for you). And more importantly have you tried out any of the guitars yet?

The SL3 is one of Jackson's Japanese Flagship models, along with the RR5. Here I am considering "upper price bracket" to be the USA select models that start at $1500, while these Japanese models usually go for around $1000 or less.

Most Japanese Jacksons start at $400 bucks and work their way up, thats why I consider the SL 3 to be in the upper midrange of their product line

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by azn_guitarist25

I have played on a RR5FR which is basically the same as a KV5FR, I have never played on a soloist but have tried out one of those Dinky models. Also I have played on a KVX10 and some other starting models. And for LTDs I have tried Alexi's signature model which I thought the price was just stupid.
Quote by Richmanofaction
The SL3 is one of Jackson's Japanese Flagship models, along with the RR5. Here I am considering "upper price bracket" to be the USA select models that start at $1500, while these Japanese models usually go for around $1000 or less.

Most Japanese Jacksons start at $400 bucks and work their way up, thats why I consider the SL 3 to be in the upper midrange of their product line

Sorry I was talking about how you saying the ESP were in the higher price bracket. Considering the LTD's are roughly half the price of the SL3.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Sorry I was talking about how you saying the ESP were in the higher price bracket. Considering the LTD's are roughly half the price of the SL3.

OOO I hear ya- I meant actual ESP and not ESP LTD-

However-

the ESP LTD M and MH series would be a good alternative to check out besides an SL3- both are super strats and both are neck thru, except the M has active EMG pups while the SL has passive Seymour Duncans - the difference between the two is another thread for another day

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by MetalBluesMan3
All this information makes me want to go to a music shop!

Then why are you still here?
I voted SL 3 but I second the looking for used SL1s and SL2s, they can sometimes be bought for this much money and basically rape all other metal guitars IMO.
Quote by MetalBluesMan3
On second thought. Going with ESP just wouldn't be right. Jacksons look way better and ESP only cares about the more expensive guitars.

Not true at all. I have 3 basses (2 ESP and 1 Ibanez). All cost around $500 and so far ive had to get the Ibanez fixed 6 times in the year ive owned it and my 2 ESPs havent been brought anywhere because they work great.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Is there any guitars that you guys would recommend. Basically I want 24 jumbo frets, either a decent floyd or no floyd at all, passive pickups (I have heard bad reviews about active EMG's and don't really feel like changing a battery), doesn't matter the shaped (nothing too wild like bc rich), and has to be under $1300 Canadian ($1240 USD or something like that).
Quote by MetalBluesMan3
Is there any guitars that you guys would recommend. Basically I want 24 jumbo frets, either a decent floyd or no floyd at all, passive pickups (I have heard bad reviews about active EMG's and don't really feel like changing a battery), doesn't matter the shaped (nothing too wild like bc rich), and has to be under $1300 Canadian ($1240 USD or something like that).

Neck joint and pickup layout? You have a wide range of guitars really and you need to start being more picky.
Quote by numinis
Jackson hands down!

don't listen to cob fanboys!

Irony, considering Alexi's original sig came from Jackson.

Anyways, try them all out OP. See which you like best.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Neck joint and pickup layout? You have a wide range of guitars really and you need to start being more picky.

Neck joint= Neck through or Set
Pickup layout= dual humbuckers or HSS, preferably HH.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Soloist-Body&page=1&product=2914003803

This seems to fit your needs perfectly TS- I love the amber sunburst- it really is a beautiful finish

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Get the soloist or the ec-401(or 1000) with emg's. I can't stand v shapes anymore.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Active pups have their ups and downs. Personally, I like passive Seymour Duncans, but that is my choice. There have been countless threads in this forum about passive vs. active pups, and most people say that you need the right rig (amp etc.) to truly bring out the active pup's potential.

I find that this is not always the case, and its arguing over the finer points of the matter unnecessarily, but that is just my bias.

I would click around and see what Soloists Jackson has to offer you- they come with either passive duncans or active EMGs- the most expensive soloists are the USA series, while the cheaper models are the SL3s that are made in Japan. Either way you're going to get a very nasty guitar.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3 Jackson SL3
Quote by MetalBluesMan3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM

3 Jacksons being put to good use.

You have won 3 internets my good sir.

Also, Jacksons!

Look for a used SL2H or SL1, or a used KV2.

You won't regret it.
Above post may or may not be true.
Last edited by kurney at Nov 14, 2009,