I want to buy an electric guitar...i have decided on the amp....
I still haven't decided if i should buy a strat or a lp
Which is better??...
I play metal,punk...and stuff like blues...
Last edited by ritzanu90 at Nov 10, 2009,
oh no... here we go... well, first. neither are better than the other. both have different feels, scale lengths and body woods.

second: depends on the model of Fender (or Squier) strat and the model of Gibson (or epiphone) LP.

third, there are many companies that make great super strat shapes and many companies that have great single-cut shapes (LP shape).

4th! they have different tones.

fifth; what amp?

sixth/ i'm guessing you're a beginner right?

7th: whats your total budget for all your stuff?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I think too, if you play/like the clean beautifull sounding stuff, go for a strat, if you play a bit tougher get a lp.

IMO Les pauls are at best with overdrive or a bit gain. and a strat is at it's best at clean.

I got them both, and i play guns n roses led zeppelin stuff on lp but stuff like dire straits
and pink floyd on strat. and it sounds awesome....

Good luck..
If you really want to get single coil cleans as well as the output of a humbucker, either get a strat with a H-S-S configuration or get a LP with a coil tap.

Also, don't limit yourself to getting a Fender or Gibson. There are many other brands (better IMO) out there.
Last edited by punker_7970 at Nov 10, 2009,
a PRS would be best of both IMO

But anyway it depends on personnel opinion, go try them both out and see which one you prefer the feel and sound of.
"All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel." - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by randomhero93
oh no... here we go... well, first. neither are better than the other. both have different feels, scale lengths and body woods.

second: depends on the model of Fender (or Squier) strat and the model of Gibson (or epiphone) LP.

third, there are many companies that make great super strat shapes and many companies that have great single-cut shapes (LP shape).

4th! they have different tones.

fifth; what amp?

sixth/ i'm guessing you're a beginner right?

7th: whats your total budget for all your stuff?

5. A roland cube
6. Yes, i'm a beginner at electric guitars....but i have been playing on acoustic for about 6 months now
7. somewhere under 450$ plus that i am from europe and there are some shipping taxes :|
Last edited by ritzanu90 at Nov 10, 2009,
Depends on what you want in a guitar. I'm a strat fanboy. So I'll say strat. You can get it in HSS configuration to handle heavier sounds.
If you want a heaver sound go for the les paul, if you want a nice clean sound get the strat. I like the les paul better because it has an arched neck, where as the strat dose'nt .

oh and rember that most of your tone comes from the amp.

EDIT: sence you have 450 to spend Epiphone has some good LPs. the Les Paul 100 would be good for a beginner(I think) it only cousts about $250 american.

EDIT 2:I just saw you put that you have a Roland cube amp. I have one of their micro cubes, it's weird because I like my friends Squire strat's sound better coming out of that amp than my Les Paul.
Last edited by redneckrebel at Nov 10, 2009,
for the $450 you want to spend you could never buy an actual Gibson LP. I would say get a HSS MIM Strat and save up for new pickups. The stock pickups are good for what you want but if you put a little extra into it then it will be the best guitar in the world.
Oh and just an idea but if you really cant decide on a Strat or an LP, go with a Telecaster. It's basically the middle-ground between the two. It has a rounder sound like a LP but has a little twang to it like a Strat. Tele's are amazing :-)
They are both very versatile, but they both feel very different from either. You need to go to a music store and just test a bunch out.
^lol

I'm a huge fan of both, when it comes to Les Paul guitars I want to play a lot more destructive things, I'm just rougher sounding with my Les Paul cuz of the humbucker. I'm looking to get a new strat, and think that if you like punk and blues, and even metal that the HSS combo would suit you. Best of both worlds imo.
Quote by Jay.R
a PRS would be best of both IMO

But anyway it depends on personnel opinion, go try them both out and see which one you prefer the feel and sound of.

this
I hate people who try to compare a strat to an LP - sure, they're both classics, but the reason both of them thrived is they cover TOTALLY DIFFERENT tonal bases! IMO a PRS CU24 or Swamp Ash Special (old version, not the new 25th anniversary model) offer the 'best of both worlds'. Or maybe a guitar with an H/S/S setup. Seriously Strat=/=LP!!!!!
^like him and his quote. While PRS is somewhat more expensive than a strat (of course depending on the model) they are brilliant guitars.