Are the 100 and 200 Taylor's good for the money? If so which one is the best for the money?
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
I am very pleased with my 110.
I think it all comes down to what kinda sound you like out of a guitar.
Myself I perfer the Taylor sound to others.... Not that other guitars sounds bad, just my perferance.
I love my 214 ce, It was more expensive that teh 100 series (obviously) but i felt that it was well worth the extra cash. My budget was around $1000 and after playing different acoustics for over a year i settled on it because it was the one i liked most while being in my budjet
Personally, I would say no for a large variety of reasons. You are only getting a solid top for $1000 when you should be getting all solid wood at around $600-$700. However, if you like it then go ahead. Guitars are about preferences.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i had the exact same question a few weeks ago, i found that half the people told me that taylor 110s are worth it, and the other half said that anything under taylor 300s arent worth it
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
i notice a lot of people here respond to questions about taylors negatively due to their opinion that they are too high in price. i find the taylor 100 and 200 series to be no more highly priced than the breedlove atlas series, and with better build quality. i particularly like sound and feel of the taylor 114ce.

i've talked with guitar teachers and pros, and they agree with me that a good sounding laminate can and often does sound better than some low end all-solid guitars. i find the masterbilts to be okay in sound at best, and in some cases while they are louder than most solid top guitars, they don't sound better. always a good idea to play guitars before buying and compare to others in their price range to make sure you're getting the sound you want.
Last edited by patticake at Nov 10, 2009,
^I don't bash Taylor, just the 100 and 200 series, because they really are overpriced. I think the same thing about the Breedlove Atlas series, but they sound so much better than the Taylor 1/200s, and the wood and build quality of the Breeds also strike me as far superior.

Personally I think the best guitars for the money, though, are Seagull.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have the 110 and really like it. Love the tone, love the brightness and it's a great guitar for me.

If we're talking about differences between the Taylor range, rather than discussing other manufacturers, i'd say that i didn't notice enough material differences between the 100s and the 200s to warrant paying more.

The 300's did feel like a cut above though, and justify the higher price IMO.

The bottom line is, i was choosing an acoustic as primarily an electric player. I wanted something that sounded good, was nice to play and had good tone. I got that with the 110 (and also a good discount), and couldn't justify spending more on the 200 which i thought while sounding better was not a significant jump. The 110 felt right for me and i've been extremely happy with it.

As said above this is, on the whole, a matter of personal choice and feel. The 110 did it for me, the 300s did aswell, and the 200s to me felt like an intermediate step between the two, and thus wasn't necessarily worth it in my eyes. I can see how it would to other people though.
Quote by Natrone
^I don't bash Taylor, just the 100 and 200 series, because they really are overpriced. I think the same thing about the Breedlove Atlas series, but they sound so much better than the Taylor 1/200s, and the wood and build quality of the Breeds also strike me as far superior.

Personally I think the best guitars for the money, though, are Seagull.

Honestly, my friend's 114ce sounds like a toy. It has so little harmonic richness in its sound. I can get a similar sound out of my other friend's all laminate epiphone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well, I have had a 214 for a over a year now, and it's quite good. I don't know how big the difference is between the 100 and 200 series (at least I don't remember from when I bought it), but I definitely don't think my one sounds like a toy. The only thing I miss about it is a cutaway, but sadly that usually only goes with electro-acoustics and then the price is at a very different place
IMHO, Until you get in higher series, the Taylor are a little overpriced. A larrivee will beat the quality/sounds hands down of the 100/200 series for less $$$. We can argue with the 300/400 series after.