Page 1 of 2
Next week I have the week of University.
Me and a few friends decided during this time we are going to try and stay awake for aslong as possible.

Our aim is for the entire week, but realistically we'll probably get to 3 or 4 days.

What sort of effects or behaviours should we expect during this time?
Feeling
D
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
You will start hallucinating and doing random stuff, it's pretty weird. I know a couple of guys who tried an experiment where you're awake 2 hours and sleep half an hour and eventually they would end up somewhere and have no idea how they got there
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Tiredness... Black rings under eyes. And what KeepOnRotting said.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Extreme boredom. Best hope this thread starts a week long interesting discussion.
Quote by Nexium
Feeling
D

Expect to feel very tired, probably light headed and ill aswell.
Remember, caffiene is good mmmkay
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Just play CoD: MW2 all week. That will keep u entertained. And take loads of energy drinks and coffee :P
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Not a lot tbh. everything slows down, and you feel like you are being carried through the day but being a student you are probably sleep deprived already. Just when you fall asleep, you wont wake up for a looonng time.
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Don't do it, it won't be fun. Been awake for four days before and I was the most irritable bastard ever. I had a worse temper than Hitler had towards Jews.

Oh yeah, your cognitive ability will drop like hell which will annoy you.
Last edited by Craigo at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Enough stuff for me to call you and your friends idiots. Especially if you start on the caffeine for it.

Whats the deal with Caffeine?
I've heard some say its good and others say its bad...
youll become a zombie

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Just get a shitload of Amphetamines. Party on!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I think the hallucinations should come around after about 72 hours or so.
Depends though.
Have fun.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by Skitgraves
Whats the deal with Caffeine?
I've heard some say its good and others say its bad...

Because you'll likely be taking more caffeine in that period than normal. Caffeine is not inherently good at high concentrations. Add to the effects of sleep deprivation: further sleep disorders, depression, nervousness, increased tremors, dehydration, impaired renal function and renal pain.

Caffeine in moderation is fine, but when you consider that three shots of espresso is classed as an acute dose of caffeine, it kinda puts "in moderation" in perspective.
I find that after 40 hours, you're unable to do anything useful without screwing up.
After 60 or so, you start hallucinating. Try attending college after 60 hours of no sleep, it's fun...

Also, after a week or so, you get a fatal dosage of death.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I think he should document what he feels every hour for the next few days until he collapses through exhausion.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
It's impossible, you won't be able to avoid microsleeps.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
i was awake once for two days but i was so tired cause i was doing a lot of basketball during the day anyways when i was coming back from my friends house i was so tired and happy to go to sleep i fell asleep in the bus with my eyes open while standing it was for a second but it was scary to realize that it just happened but mostly funny
Quote by el-ECTRO
I think he should document what he feels every hour for the next few days until he collapses through exhausion.

We plan on documenting it via facebook or a blog or something else.
We'll post at regular intervals to make sure we're still alive.
Its not fun...me & a few friends did it and basicaly Your tired, in a bad mood. cant Concentrate. And You Hallucinate.
A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. We provide the music, and you provide the silence."
Quote by PsiGuy60
I find that after 40 hours, you're unable to do anything useful without screwing up.
After 60 or so, you start hallucinating. Try attending college after 60 hours of no sleep, it's fun...

Also, after a week or so, you get a fatal dosage of death.

What? No. Better take some LSD it's quick and not as dangerous as not sleeping.
Quote by Geo.~
i fell asleep in the bus with my eyes open while standing it was for a second but it was scary to realize that it just happened but mostly funny

what? i do that every morning..o.O
You'll never make it a week. Prisoners who were tortured by sleep deprivation often died if they were greatly deprived. After a week without sleep you will die, simple as. After a few days you will just begin to pass out.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
You'll never make it a week. Prisoners who were tortured by sleep deprivation often died if they were greatly deprived. After a week without sleep you will die, simple as. After a few days you will just begin to pass out.

No you won't. Sleep deprivation alone cannot cause death in humans and has never been shown to do so. Prisoners are under extremely stressful conditions.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by isabiggles

my mother has insomnia and she has literally went nine days in a row with absolutely no sleep, not even small naps, she was completely bitchy and chewed me out for everything i did, but she never hallucinated and she didnt die either.

so idk i guess it can affect people differently she is used to not sleeping though so i guess that might be the reason she doesnt suffer from a lot of these affects being listed.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No you won't. Sleep deprivation alone cannot cause death in humans and has never been shown to do so. Prisoners are under extremely stressful conditions.

That being said, no one has been able to stay awake longer than like 11 days without dying. Not sure of exact amount of time, but it was around 10/11.
I was awake for 50 hours about two years ago because I had a ton of schoolwork to do and I wanted to test how long I could stay awake. At the end just before I fell asleep, it felt exactly like when you are really drunk, the moment just before everything goes black and you pass out in a ditch vomiting.

When about 48 hours had passed I was at the store buying something to eat, I walked around and felt like I was floating in a yellow cloud. People must have though I was on drugs
you will probly fail at uni for the fact that you didnt take in and understand what you learnt during that week due to not sleeping

i went 3 weeks last year managing on 1-2 hours sleep a night due to sleeping problems i was having. not advisable. throws your appetite out of wack too
Quote by rabidguitarist
Nothing gay about playing with another mans dick. I bet all of you play with your own.

he just owned everybody

Gary(L)Kirsty-Lea<3

RIP Ronnie James Dio. You will be deeply missed. You truely are a hero and a pioneer in metal
Quote by Ur all $h1t

My biology teacher begs to differ (PhD, PhD, PhD)

EDIT:

Quote by Jman09
my mother has insomnia and she has literally went nine days in a row with absolutely no sleep, not even small naps, she was completely bitchy and chewed me out for everything i did, but she never hallucinated and she didnt die either.

so idk i guess it can affect people differently she is used to not sleeping though so i guess that might be the reason she doesnt suffer from a lot of these affects being listed.

I can't remember but I think it's about 11 days so there is a chance that she may have not slept for long periods of time but I think that you must be wrong when you say that she didn't sleep a wink for nine days.

To the above guy, sleep deprivation can cause brain disfunction leading to death. You are pulling facts out of your anus.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Last edited by isabiggles at Nov 10, 2009,
I agree with whoever said you should document what you feel every few hours throughout this. and i think you'll end up giving up after about 48 hours unless your on some sort of drug. and stay away from caffeine. its good for short term, but when u take a large amount of it and it wears off, you will regret it, i suggest just eating healthy and drinking nothing but water.
Quote by isabiggles

Sleep deprivation itself doesn't kill you- It's the extra expenditure of energy that initially causes weight loss, and then leading to death. It's kind of like how AIDS doesn't actually kill you, but something it facilitates does.
i used to work at a tire shop and i was tired all the time. now im a welder and im exausted.
Quote by isabiggles

EDIT:

I can't remember but I think it's about 11 days so there is a chance that she may have not slept for long periods of time but I think that you must be wrong when you say that she didn't sleep a wink for nine days.

To the above guy, sleep deprivation can cause brain disfunction leading to death. You are pulling facts out of your anus.

dude im not even kidding she had to go to a doctor due to sleep deprivation and the doctor had to perscribe her hardcore sleeping pills and she still barely slept.

she is a special case though due to the fact that she is also borderline obsessive compulsive and half the time spent up she was cleaning and worrying constantly about her divorce, AND she is going through radiation treatments for stomach cancer due to her having seven stomach ulcers yet again due to her abusive and violated childhood.

Call me a liar if you want but i am seriously surprised she is still alive.
Page 1 of 2