hey, just a quick question....

I pick using my thumb and mainly middle finger, rather than index.. is that alright? usually i have both the index & middle finger touching the pick, but most of the 'gripping force' and movement of the pick comes from mainly the middle one... It feels like i have good control of the pick, and more natural....

so yeah, is this a problem, or am i ok?!
thanks!
I'd think you're OK, as long as your index finger doesn't get in your way when you sweep pick and use picking techniques where you use more of your wrist.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I'm gonna say no. I beleive Paul Gilbert used to hold his pick like that but he switched and (apparently) improved. I think he has a video explaining it somwhere
I hate my sig
It sounds like hybrid picking will be hard for you, being as you have only your third to use.
(Jager) yeah, well i still just put my index finger on the pick too, although it sort of 'rests' there, rather than holding...

(quantum) - really? i'd like to see that if u could dig it up for me?

(hippie) yeah, hav'nt really tried hybrid yet... but i suppose its not a major technique...
dude no matter what anyone says technique is all about the individual if you have a certain way YOU do things then do it that way, if you feel like it is inhibiting your ability to play well change it, do what feels right or you will end up hating the guitar trust me, its happened to me before.
^ thanks, good advice! i recently made some quite big changes to my technique (mainly right hand, such as muting unwanted string noise, and un-anchoring) , so i just wanted to make sure i changed what NEEDED to change asap
Quote by Jman09
dude no matter what anyone says technique is all about the individual if you have a certain way YOU do things then do it that way, if you feel like it is inhibiting your ability to play well change it, do what feels right or you will end up hating the guitar trust me, its happened to me before.

No way dude, there is a correct way to do things- although, granted, there is some leeway.

Holding your pick with your thumb and second finger isn't wrong, in fact some people find it easier to tap with the first finger with that technique. It also makes some types of artificial harmonics easier. There's a kind of a trade-off between tapping like that and techniques such as hybrid picking (which become more difficult), but it depends what you want to do.
Hendrix did too. there might be guide lines on the right way to do things but after the beginner stage i think its all on each persons ergonomics. whatever makes YOU play the best you can with ease.
Eddie van Halen holds the pick with his middle and thumb. 'nuff said.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist