[my budget, maximum probably 750$
my location, pittsburgh pa
style - classic rock, southern/country rock,

so basically, a 70s high gain sound, fairly dark, preferably on board reverb, but if not whatever, I'd rather have a head than a combo, but if it has to be a comboa then allright
I was thinking maybe some type of orange, I have no clue what it sounds like but there is a 1983 Mesa MK-II B, its pushing my budget, but maybe I could, I've also been looking at some Engl's but they seem to modern sounding and not pushed enough, kinda like, woah, this has a lot of gain but you can't push it, I like that "pushed" sound, almost to the brink of the amp blowing up, I'm not really down to specifics yet

Traynor
Rockerverb
Sovtek (I don't know where in gods name would carry one in the states)
Marshall VM - mostly just because I want to try one, but I don't think it will be dark enough for what I want
and the mesa I mentioned up there

more suggestions because I doubt out of the three places I have, I will be able to find all of these]

come on guys, [help yourselves get] a sexy NAD
Last edited by eberg2 at Nov 11, 2009,
I would look into an Orange. Orange is that kind of amp that typically has a darker sound then other amps. You could probably find a Rockerverb in your price range if you're lucky.

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT. Look into a Dual Terror.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Nov 10, 2009,
Laney AOR
marshall VM's are cool
Ceriatone 18w
Sovtek MIG
Mesa 50 cal

any of those will do you good I think
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by eberg2
I've also been looking at some Engl's but they seem to modern sounding and not pushed enough, kinda like, woah, this has a lot of gain but you can't push it, I like that "pushed" sound, almost to the brink of the amp blowing up, I'm not really down to specifics yet
It sounds like you're looking for poweramp overdrive instead of preamp overdrive.

I won't go into the specifics, because, tbh, I don't really know them off-by-heart myself. But basically, to get natural poweramp overdrive you need to push your valves/tubes very hard, i.e. raise the amp to high levels of volume.
And that is the problem, with a 50 watt amp, hitting that "sweet-spot" will mean destroying your ear drums and your neighbours respectability. So you need to look into a low watt amplifier (unless you are gigging - speaking of which, will you be playing shows/jamming in a band situation with the amp, or is it simply for home use?) A low wattage amplifier means you don't have to play at ridiculous volumes, but can still evoke those natural breakup tones that are often found in 70's rock.
anything from 0-15 watts is ideal.

I have no experience personally with that particular Mesa Boogie.

Traynor make some lovely gear, but I've only played the YCV Blue 40, which was pretty lush. I wouldn't say it was necessarily a raunchy amp, more than it shined in other areas. I'd say you could get it roar with an overdrive pedal to boost it.

Same goes for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Peavey Classic 30, which probably has more gain.

The Orange Rockerverb will be way out of your price range and is a bit modern, maybe? It has quite a bit of gain on tap. I'd say it would suit more hard-rock to metal.

I haven't played a Sovtek.

Marshall's are hit and miss with me. Because they are very pricey in America, I'd probably suggest something else.
If you can pick up a JCM 800 within your budget, great, otherwise I'd suggest the new Vintage Modern 2266.
I think, because it uses KT tubes instead of EL34/84's, it's not quite as brittle or harsh in the treble-ly kinda areas. And it's definitely dark and definitely suited for southern rock.
Don't expect to be able to get really sweet tones at low volumes, though, it's designed to be pushed.
I also found that a number of the sounds to be a little dull, so messing with the EQ is required if you want to nail down your particular tone.

You've also got the Ampeg J-20, which is similarly dark and brooding. Really 'gutteral' and raunchy. But it only comes in combo form I think.

Maybe an Orange Rocker 30 or AD30, if you can find one within your budget, that is. Orange are quite expensive in the States.

Then you've got a Laney LC or VC amp. LC15, VC30, etc. Really tasty amps.

Bogner Alchemist. One of the darkest amps I've ever played. Maybe a bit more designed for metal, I dunno. I loved it, but it's hard to pin-down it's sound and most suited genre.

Marshall DSL. Nothing special but worthwhile looking into.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Angry Goldfish, you reccomend he buys a small amp and proceed to reccomend a Bogner Alchemist and a JCM800???
I recommend amps that I personally have had experience with and like. I think you don't have to push an Alchemist very hard to get nice poweramp tones out of it. The Marshall is a bit more unpredicatable, but still.

I don't know whether he wants to gig or not, so I'm recommending amps that sound decent at all volumes to cover everything.

So please, don't facepalm me, it just makes look like a dick.
I had mig 50 back in like 96-00 good little amp, cheaply made though. Good tone to put pedals in front of.

prolly better off getting something newer
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Goldfish, thanks but this is not my first tube amp, I think I'm looking for a healthy mix of preamp and power amp drive, this is to hopefully create a stereo rig for me, and aren't the TT/DT series very harsh? I've heard them a few times and found them to be almost like an early sabbath tone, which is imo not that power sound I'm looking for

and I'm definately going used, I couldn't get dick for my budget new =(

I've found laney's to be much too thin, not enough balls on em

and really any where up to 60 watts depending on the amp and with master volume is fine, if I'm practicing I don't need it rediulously loud, if I'm recording, fine, my mic doesn't distort easy, and no one really cares if I crank it anyways
and aren't bogners very expensive, I really appreciate that you took the time to type this out, and you could probably use it for someone who doesn't have any experience, I do appreciate it though, you just really didn't tell me anything I didn't know....and I'm also not sure what you mean by raunchy, when I think of that I think of harsh and more icepicky tones, I'm looking for a nice deep smooth tone

and thanks to you other folks that posted too, can someone describe the ceriatone 18 watter? Its been reccomended, but I'm not sure if it woujld really suit me

and sorry about the title hehe, I had another thread for a couple days and got like, one shitty reply, so I figured if I threw NAD on the title I'd get some, and well it worked, sorry lol
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
I had mig 50 back in like 96-00 good little amp, cheaply made though. Good tone to put pedals in front of.

hmm... how was it cheaply made, was it falling apart or what? and I have sort of a minimilist attitude towards pedals, an od and maybe a wah every once in a while, but I'd rather not use them
Last edited by eberg2 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by eberg2
Goldfish, thanks but this is not my first tube amp, I think I'm looking for a healthy mix of preamp and power amp drive, this is to hopefully create a stereo rig for me, and aren't the TT/DT series very harsh? I've heard them a few times and found them to be almost like an early sabbath tone, which is imo not that power sound I'm looking for

and I'm definately going used, I couldn't get dick for my budget new =(

I've found laney's to be much too thin, not enough balls on em

and really any where up to 60 watts depending on the amp and with master volume is fine, if I'm practicing I don't need it rediulously loud, if I'm recording, fine, my mic doesn't distort easy, and no one really cares if I crank it anyways
and aren't bogners very expensive, I really appreciate that you took the time to type this out, and you could probably use it for someone who doesn't have any experience, I do appreciate it though, you just really didn't tell me anything I didn't know....and I'm also not sure what you mean by raunchy, when I think of that I think of harsh and more icepicky tones, I'm looking for a nice deep smooth tone

and thanks to you other folks that posted too, can someone describe the ceriatone 18 watter? Its been reccomended, but I'm not sure if it woujld really suit me
Fair enough. Sorry I'm if I came across as patronizing.

Do you like any of the amps that I listed, though. That was kinda why I posted what I did.

Laney's are thin - they're British, it's that kinda tone. Marshall's are very similar.

I have played similar amps to the Ceriatone (and users Gabel and Dave_Mc both use variations of them. You'll be probably be better off talking to them about Ceriatone amps) And from what I gather, they are 18 watt Marshall Plexi clones. Like old Marshalls but maybe with a little more responsive to your playing.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Fair enough. Sorry I'm if I came across as patronizing.

Do you like any of the amps that I listed, though. That was kinda why I posted what I did.

Laney's are thin - they're British, it's that kinda tone. Marshall's are very similar.

I have played similar amps to the Ceriatone (and users Gabel and Dave_Mc both use variations of them. You'll be probably be better off talking to them about Ceriatone amps) And from what I gather, they are 18 watt Marshall Plexi clones. Like old Marshalls but maybe with a little more responsive to your playing.

haha, alls good,
I looked at laneys for my last amp, and tried a bunch out, I'm looking for a very thick tone, they just don't fit what I'm looking for, I'm always just so scared to buy something like that because I can't try it out and its hard to find a lot of good clips on them and very hard to find them used, I've been trolling the classifieds on TGP lately and seeing if anything could pop up on there

but yeah, most of the amps you said were on my list to try, and I really don't need any cleans from this amp, and I'm also not going for like your average southern rock sound, more like REO speedwagon, but much thicker, 70s fleetwood mac high tone, ac/dc on highway to hell album, but darker and not as tight, Jefferson Starship high gain tones almost if you put a modern metal tone into a mid to late seventies amp if that would be possible haha, well, less gain, but uhh.. yeah, thats really sort of what I'm looking for, I don't know how to describe it any better lol, I hope you or someone knows what kind of sound I'm looking for
Quote by eberg2
haha, alls good,
I looked at laneys for my last amp, and tried a bunch out, I'm looking for a very thick tone, they just don't fit what I'm looking for, I'm always just so scared to buy something like that because I can't try it out and its hard to find a lot of good clips on them and very hard to find them used, I've been trolling the classifieds on TGP lately and seeing if anything could pop up on there

but yeah, most of the amps you said were on my list to try, and I really don't need any cleans from this amp, and I'm also not going for like your average southern rock sound, more like REO speedwagon, but much thicker, 70s fleetwood mac high tone, ac/dc on highway to hell album, but darker and not as tight, Jefferson Starship high gain tones almost if you put a modern metal tone into a mid to late seventies amp if that would be possible haha, well, less gain, but uhh.. yeah, thats really sort of what I'm looking for, I don't know how to describe it any better lol, I hope you or someone knows what kind of sound I'm looking for
To be honest, I don't know really know what else to suggest. I'm fearful of suggesting amps that I haven't really had any experience with, so I'll link your thread to the spam thread in GG&A where all the real gear-heads hang out (they allowed me in because I helped n00bs )

You seem very specific about your tone, what amps have you tried out? What amps have you been impressed with or disliked?
egnater rebel 20
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by AngryGoldfish
To be honest, I don't know really know what else to suggest. I'm fearful of suggesting amps that I haven't really had any experience with, so I'll link your thread to the spam thread in GG&A where all the real gear-heads hang out (they allowed me in because I helped n00bs )

You seem very specific about your tone, what amps have you tried out? What amps have you been impressed with or disliked?

even if you haven't tried them just suggest them because I'm really just looking to have a big ass list of amps to go try, my shops are a bit limited, so the more the better, sorry to be difficult, I just kind of say no to things I have tried, and stuff I know about, I know, I'm difficult sorry I can't help it with these things, but yeah, just suggest away, I'm not buying blind here, I'm looking for something too specific to not try it

Quote by marvelboy_04
egnater rebel 20

added to the list
Quote by eberg2
[my budget, maximum probably 750$
my location, pittsburgh pa
style - classic rock, southern/country rock,

so basically, a 70s high gain sound, fairly dark, preferably on board reverb, but if not whatever, I'd rather have a head than a combo, but if it has to be a comboa then allright
I was thinking maybe some type of orange, I have no clue what it sounds like but there is a 1983 Mesa MK-II B, its pushing my budget, but maybe I could, I've also been looking at some Engl's but they seem to modern sounding and not pushed enough, kinda like, woah, this has a lot of gain but you can't push it, I like that "pushed" sound, almost to the brink of the amp blowing up, I'm not really down to specifics yet

Traynor
Rockerverb
Sovtek (I don't know where in gods name would carry one in the states)
Marshall VM - mostly just because I want to try one, but I don't think it will be dark enough for what I want
and the mesa I mentioned up there

more suggestions because I doubt out of the three places I have, I will be able to find all of these]

come on guys, [help yourselves get] a sexy NAD

If you want a dark sound I would generally stay away from ENGL and Marshall. However, you should know that speakers also play a very large role in shaping your sound. You might actually like a bright amp head with dark speakers and a deep tonewood in your guitar such as mahogany. The amp head isn't the only determining factor when it comes to a bright/dark sound. As such, if you do have a chance to try an ENGL I think you should give it a go. They are actually very good at 70s/80s metal, even though they aren't very dark.

I would pay special mind to Mesa Mark amplifiers if you can try them. They should fit the voicing nicely, but I found them notoriously fizzy at low volumes. You need to turn them up a bit more than most other tube amps I've tried.

I don't have any experience with Laney and Traynor so I can't comment on those. An orange would suit you nicely though. Also Orange cabinets are notoriously dark, so that would be good to look into as well.
WTLTL 2011
Mesa Boogie F-50
Mesa Boogie Mk III
Marshall JCM 800/900/800 Kerry King
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Marshall DSL/TSL
Carvin V3
Peavey Classic 30/50
Randall RG-50TC
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Traynor YCV40
Orange Rocker 30

That really is all I can think of. I mentioned your thread in the chat room I linked... maybe someone who lives in America will be able to list you a few boutique makers or maybe a few more Carvins and Rivera's.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

edit: thanks, Mark. Sratch out those Marshall's. Peavey amps aren't particularly dark, either. But I'm just listing amps that I know of and may fit your requirements.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Mesa Boogie F-50
Mesa Boogie Mk III
Marshall JCM 800/900/800 Kerry King
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Marshall DSL/TSL
Carvin V3
Peavey Classic 30/50
Randall RG-50TC
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Traynor YCV40
Orange Rocker 30

That really is all I can think of. I mentioned your thread in the chat room I linked... maybe someone who lives in America will be able to list you a few boutique makers or maybe a few more Carvins and Rivera's.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

edit: thanks, Mark. Sratch out those Marshall's. Peavey amps aren't particularly dark, either. But I'm just listing amps that I know of and may fit your requirements.

ah, forgot about carvin, I will ad that, I'm pretty sure they;re fairly cheap, I think I've seen a V3 on CL for like 400 or something, the peavey classic series is too thin for my liking,
so
my list to try

Traynor -YCV series
Rocker 30/rockerverb
I'm still going to leave some marshalls on here because they are what some of the artists I'm looking for used, so if they fit great, if not oh well
Egnator Renegade
Mesa Mark II - thats the one I mentioned earlier, I'd assume its similar to the MKIII
Carvin

and to they guy who said about speakers and stuff, my current cab is an avatar with very close specs to the orange, I was originally wanting an orange cab and this sounded almost identical, mine just is a bit creamier because I put in 2 G12H30s instead of all V30s, and if I ever need another cab it will be an avatar, but 2x12 this time

and Goldfish, you were more helpful than you think

thanks, and thanks to everyone else too, not as big of a list as I hoped to have, but whatever... as for clips I really like the traynor, but I'll be trying all these

Thanks again
try a bugera 6262 or 333 too. excellent amps for the money.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
try a bugera 6262 or 333 too. excellent amps for the money.

what do they sound like?
^They sound like the Peavey 6505+ and XXX that they are modeled after (except with better cleans I hear). I wouldn't get one for 70's rock.

Goldfish and Mark G are pretty spot on.

I checked your craigslist for shoots and grins and found some stuff worth looking at. May not be perfect for you but you might be able to go check some of these out see for yourself. Good luck.

Mesa MarkIII head $850 (outside of budget and needs cab but hey)
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1462744751.html

Fender 70s SF Bassman head $450 (needs cab)
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1462531596.html

Peavey Classic 30 combo $350
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1462276195.html

Vox AC15 combo $489
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1457542313.html

Marsahll JCM2000 TSL combo $650
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1443028110.html

Traynor YCS50 combo $500
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1456640440.html

Peavey JSX head $700 (needs cab)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1452354650.html

Randall RM100 head $700 (needs cab but check the modules)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1445105825.html

Peavey Ultra+ halfstack $600
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1434456259.html

I saw other stuff too like a 5150, Valveking, Ampegs, etc.

too modern/highgain

Late 70s High Gain, not modern

I think I found my list to try, and I'll go from there, thanks a lot forthe help =)