I think the title says it all.

Basically, I'm trying become an 'at least decent' lead guitarist (or whatever), but I'm really, really clumsy/bad when I try to compose a simple guitar solo (I can actually play other's solos though). I don't want to become a br00tal shredder, or something like that; it's just that I want to improve as musician.

So, are there any good tips anybody could give me?.

Thanks beforehand.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Well, you might be technically right, but I think any other person who has asked this might expect something different to what I want, or to what I intend.

I just want some basic tips, and I think that's not exactly what I've read on other threads. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's why asked.

If I made a mistake, then sorry .

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Try taking the guitar out of the equation - sing how you imagine the solo in your head, record yourself singing it, then work it out on your guitar.
Consider the solo as another melody line to the song, in the absence of vocals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
+1 to both of these suggestions.

Quote by zhilla
Try taking the guitar out of the equation - sing how you imagine the solo in your head, record yourself singing it, then work it out on your guitar.

Quote by AlanHB
Consider the solo as another melody line to the song, in the absence of vocals.

btw TS, how many solos can you play, and how well can you play them?

Personally I found, that once I could play some music, I could write music. Once I had some basic skills it was just a matter of sitting down with the guitar and working it out.

for long term improvement, studying theory/music harmony, will make what's happening musically alot more clear....... this will likely help your improvising. It takes time. For now.... you have ears/mind and fingers. add creativity and you're in business.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 10, 2009,
Thanks everybody.

Quote by GuitarMunky

btw TS, how many solos can you play, and how well can you play them?

Personally I found, that once I could play some music, I could write music. Once I had some basic skills it was just a matter of sitting down with the guitar and working it out.

for long term improvement, studying theory/music harmony, will make what's happening musically alot more clear....... this will likely help your improvising. It takes time. For now.... you have ears/mind and fingers. add creativity and you're in business.

Counting by songs, I can play around 8-12 solos, they're not many ones. I'd say I can decently play them, 7½ out of 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, or so.

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Antoine-Øleg
Well, you might be technically right, but I think any other person who has asked this might expect something different to what I want, or to what I intend.

I just want some basic tips, and I think that's not exactly what I've read on other threads. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's why asked.

If I made a mistake, then sorry .

No need to apologise, I was just trying to clarify what you did and didn't know.