Hi UG! I am a beginner at improvising solos, so I have question. If i improvise a solo in the E minor pentatonic scale, does that mean that I can play the notes that are in the E minor scale all over the fretboard, or is it just in that specifically pattern? For exampel, the E minor pentatonic scale includes the notes E A D G B E on the 12: th fret on each string, can I play those notes aswell on a open string in the E minor pentatonic scale?
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Scales are not patterns, they are a collection of notes. If you are soloing in E minor pentatonic then you use the notes from that scale wherever you want, anywhere on the fretboard.

Okay, thank you for the help!
Quote by skateralle
Hi UG! I am a beginner at improvising solos, so I have question. If i improvise a solo in the E minor pentatonic scale, does that mean that I can play the notes that are in the E minor scale all over the fretboard, or is it just in that specifically pattern? For exampel, the E minor pentatonic scale includes the notes E A D G B E on the 12: th fret on each string, can I play those notes aswell on a open string in the E minor pentatonic scale?

yes, you can play that pattern in the 1st position, utilizing the open strings.

Quote by Myshadow46_2
Scales are not patterns, they are a collection of notes. If you are soloing in E minor pentatonic then you use the notes from that scale wherever you want, anywhere on the fretboard.

Well, those collections of notes, actually do follow patterns, and can be visualized as patterns on the neck. Recognizing the patterns, aurally and visually, is a benefit to musicians...... not something to discourage.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 10, 2009,