Hey UG. I have a query involving the purchase of a secondary guitar. I'm currently looking at buying a used Gibson Les Paul Studio (lefty) in a deep red/purple color. Because there's a sale the store is having over the next couple of weeks, I get $100 off any guitar over $699. So right now, I'm looking at paying around $759 for a used Gibson Les Paul Studio. I have no clue what year it was made in, because the tag did not have the production year on it.

However, this is where my problem pops up. I know for a fact that this guitar will most likely sell quickly. For one, it's a left handed Gibson, which are very rare to see at stores around here. Second, it seems like a steal, because the only reason it's at a low price is because there's a very noticeable chip in the paint on the top edge of the guitar. I've only played with it for a couple minutes, but from what I could discern, it plays pretty nicely. However, I did not get the chance to play with it plugged into an amp. So I'm pressed for time with deciding to buy the guitar or not. I've seen some people on this website criticize the quality of Gibson's instruments over the past couple years. Although this deal seems very good to me, I'd be happy if you guys would know of another guitar that holds itself to a higher quality than the Gibson Les Paul Studio. I'd like to stray away from anything higher than $1000 if you're going to make recommendations.

I currently use my Schecter Hellraiser Avenger on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. I typically play many forms of Rock, from Boston to Avenged Sevenfold. Purchasing the Gibson would make the Gibson my primary guitar, simply because it has already been worn in, and it won't be as tragic if it were to take a beating.

Thanks for your time!
I hear left handed people have great struggles in buying guitars. To me this sounds like a good deal. Play it properly before you buy and don't listen to people on here slating Gibson guitars. They are good, people just slate them because they're popular (which is natural) and because they are expensive/overpriced (which I agree with).

Going on UK prices it looks like you've got yourself a good deal so if you like the guitar and are going to enjoy it then go for it!
You're right. Finding a decent left handed guitar isn't too easy. Most of the stores around here carry cheap lefty starter guitars. I want to jump on this opportunity, because it's like a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of occurrence.

Thanks for your insight!
gibson QC hasnt been the greatest recently, so play it a good bit before you decide to buy it. price wise that is a good deal, just make sure the guitar is worth it. it doesnt have to feel perfect, but it should feel very good. from what it sounds like, when you played it before it felt good, so just make sure it holds up when you play it again. ive played gibsons that felt horrible right away, but since this wasnt like that, it could be that you are getting a good deal on a nice instrument.

so while yes, there are other instruments out there that might be better, as a lefty you probably wont be seeing them regularly. i cant really think of anything off the top of my head that would be a better deal and easy to come by (assuming it is a good gibson).
I can't speak to the quality of Gibsons, but if its really a good deal but for a minor blemish, buy it.

Personally, a chip in the finish wouldn't keep me from buying a quality guitar. I've bought blemished guitars from luthiers and never regretted it for a second.

Which brings me to my second point- you might want to talk to a luthier or direct seller. That way, you get exactly what you want. And while it may seem pricey, remember, even luthiers make mistakes (see above), and you may be more able to bargain with a single guy rather than a large company. Even though he's not cheap, my buddy Jon doesn't charge extra for lefty guitars.

http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkghtml_025.htm

My third point is this: check out retailers all over the world. A quick search found these:

http://www.southpawguitars.com/
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/for-lefties-only/
http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--Left-Handed-Electric-Guitars--2645
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Actually, I frequently check out websites like those for left handed guitars. I just find a couple drawbacks from purchasing guitars from wesbites. For one, you can't play before you pay, so you're getting yourself into a blind deal. Also, if there's a problem with the guitar, it'd take a lot longer to get a refund or a new guitar.

I like the ability to go into a store and play a guitar before I buy one. I didn't do that with my first guitar, but I got lucky, and it felt perfect to me. But I don't think I'd be able to take that same risk again.
Last edited by JP Oliver at Nov 12, 2009,
Fair enough!

In that case, I'd check out some of the brands that are direct sellers.

Carvin, for instance, makes most (but not all) of their models in a lefty style, and give you 10 days to "test drive" the guitar (measured from when you actually get it) or return it for a full refund.

IME, luthiers will also generally work with you on making sure you're satisfied. After all, unless its truly something unique- a 9-string (three sets of three) fretless baritone for instance- they can probably sell it to someone else.

Personally, I don't have a problem dealing with a reputable brand or a luthier. I ordered my first 2 electrics without trying them.

Actually...you might try doing what I did. When I ordered those 2 guitars, I ordered them through my favorite local guitar store. Essentially, they took the risk that I wouldn't like them- as a retailer, they had certain legal rights that would minimize their risk (and they could sell the guitars as regular stock anyway)- but I also guaranteed them that I would buy merchandise of about that value through them. Ultimately, it didn't matter since I was happy with what I got.

However, the experience wasn't without a hiccup: I had ordered an mid-level guitar and a high-end guitar, and they sent the wrong high-end guitar at first. When my FLMS called them up, they actually had a company rep deliver the guitar that I had ordered. He also tried to get me to take the incorrect axe, but I explained to him that while I'd love to have done that, I simply didn't have the money to do anything but insult him (I would have needed a $1500 discount).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!