i have a marshall MGDFX50.. and dont hate on the amp im looking at getting another a little after christmas.. but for the time being im not very good at finding good tones and i play a lot of metal. so i was wondering, what are good settings for the amp if i play lead?
One setting I like is to set everything at 6. Move the highs until they sound like you will have enough percussion without sounding tinny. Adjust the lows until your sound is fat but not boomy. Next, and most important, adjust your mids so your sound doesn't sound like its lacking character, but also doesn't sound like Muddy Waters trying to play some corpse.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Phat Stud 55
For metal turn the Bass and Treble knobs up and the Middle Knob down.

You're not gonna get a tone which sets the world on fire with that amp, but you can get something passable if, like DeathByDestroyr said, you start with everything at 5 or 6, then use your ear to work out what you want more and less of. Good and bad tone is entirely subjective
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
call me stupid, cus when it comes to amps i really am, it doesnt have mids in the distortion part it says those are part of the clean settings. the distortion setting has "contour"
well its hard to get a good tone out of those honestly. But if you must ask, it will greatly depend on what type of metal. Most people tell you to crank the treble, presence, and bass almost all the way up and turn the mids down to get a hollow sound. This obviously doesn't work for all amps but its a start. If you intend to get a better tone, i would recommend toying with your mids to get a fuller sound. If you intend to play guitar harmonies, more mids will help greatly. Personally (this is on my marshall jcm 2000 dsl) i put my treble @ 6, mids @ 7, presence @ 7, and bass @ about 8 or 9 with the gain around (but not greater than) 8.
Quote by Mc-Dap
call me stupid, cus when it comes to amps i really am, it doesnt have mids in the distortion part it says those are part of the clean settings. the distortion setting has "contour"

IIRC Contour has a similar effect to mids on MG's, it's just a pointless jargon term
Quote by fleajr_1412

if your into metallica, megadeth etc then turn your bass and treble up to 8/9 and your mids down to 2/3
gives a really nice 'scooped' sound
i see well then i will have to mess with it then. thank you

and for future reference i was looking at getting something in the line 6 spyder series, good choice?
Quote by wouldnt..!
if your into metallica, megadeth etc then turn your bass and treble up to 8/9 and your mids down to 2/3
gives a really nice 'scooped' sound
Except...Metallica doesn't scoop their mids.
Quote by Mc-Dap
i see well then i will have to mess with it then. thank you

and for future reference i was looking at getting something in the line 6 spyder series, good choice?

Most people will jump on a bandwagon and tell you they are worse than flesheating parasites.

Honestly they are a bad choice, but not as bad as people would have you believe. For around the same price, something like the Vox VT30 would be a much better amp for you
Quote by fleajr_1412

A nice tone I found that worked reasonably well for metal on an MG was
Bass: 4
Mids: 6
Treble: 5

Mids & treble may have been the other way round can't really remember, but I found that to be a pretty useable tone.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey