Hey, there's this pawn shop in my town, and it has a really nice playing 7 string, but the body is in questionable condition.

So the body is ruined, and there's dents, stickers, off color spots, you name it, it's there.

Me and my friend plan on building a new body to replace it, but how exactly would we go about it? I have very minimal experience in woodworking, but my friend has fully re-done two cars, would woodworking be much different?

We want to make an offset V, a mounted floyd (like no routing, I just want it screwed on there for the ease of fine tuners and the 7 string comes with it.), a dyed finish, and all parts from the 7 string transfered to the new body.

Now, is it possible to do this easily?

The bridge is something I'm worried about, I don't know of any companies that make a 7 string bridge, and I don't feel comfortable routing out a floyd cavity, is it really hard, or would most people be able to do it?

Also, what are some good kinds of wood to use for a guitar? I plan on buying the wood from my local woodcraft, so I do have a nice selection of wood to choose from. I want a very mid and bass sounding wood, with little top end. I want to spend under $50 on the wood.

Where would I get dye, how much of it would I need, and how much would it cost? I'm looking for a nice purple or blue, and also black for the edges.

Finally, neither of us can solder. How hard is it to learn how to solder a volume, a tone, a 5 way selector, an output jack, and two pickups?

Thanks in advance
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

cant help with much of it but soldering:
If you're removing it from the current body you should be able to get away with just de / re soldering the pickups and probably the output jack
Well, if there are only a few dings and colour spots, can't you just salvage and refinish the body? And with the Floyd, Even flush-mounted Floyds require a bit of routing work usually.
Last edited by The_Toki at Nov 10, 2009,
That seems like an awful lot of work for two people with no experience to do over stickers and dents. If you buy it, just scrape the stickers off and sand the body down to the wood and see if you think its worth a refinish or a new body, which I really don't think is necessary unless said body is it about 5 pieces.
We could, but we wanted to give it a different shape, and just make it "cooler." It's pretty much just something we could do over winter break that would be fun and rewarding.

So flush mounted floyds need routing? That would just be to sink it into the body a bit, right? Thinking about it, would it just be easier to route out the cavity? There's a teacher at my school that could probably help with routing, is it a really advanced job? It's just routing a hole for the trem block, then half a hole for the springs to lay, right?

And soldering sounds easy, we looked at a few guides online, I think we could do that no problem.

Again I still need to know about dyes and wood. What would also be a wood which looks nice dyed?

Thanks!
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

reranch.com
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!