So I was playing around with my multimeter and two 16 ohm speakers, and I wired them in series they were 32 ohms, then in parallel at 8 ohms. Then I had an idea, what if I wire them at series and parallel at the same time. So I did that and got them at 16 ohms... But then this though was raised... Is this safe?

Heres a diagram of how I have it wired when I tested it. I tested it at the + and - of the input.

Can I safely (by safely I mean not damage the speakers) have these two 16ohm speakers wired in series and parallel at the same time? Will it blow the speakers?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
So I was playing around with my multimeter and two 16 ohm speakers, and I wired them in series they were 32 ohms, then in parallel at 8 ohms. Then I had an idea, what if I wire them at series and parallel at the same time. So I did that and got them at 16 ohms... But then this though was raised... Is this safe?

Heres a diagram of how I have it wired when I tested it. I tested it at the + and - of the input.

Can I safely (by safely I mean not damage the speakers) have these two 16ohm speakers wired in series and parallel at the same time? Will it blow the speakers?
Nope. Series and parallel can't exist at the same time for TWO speakers.

Look carefully at the wiring. The left speaker is completely bypassed by that wire from the (-) of the left speaker to the (-) of the right.

ONLY the right speaker will work.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
series-parallel wiring will work just fine.

Even with just 2 speakers?
Also is that would it would be called?
Cause rather than a section of speakers wired in series and another in parallel its both at the same time rather than sections.

Anyways if it is safe then awesome.

Thanks Jim.

Edit:

So then no current or anything will go through the series wire at all? it will just bypass the series wire?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Ethanb08
Edit:

So then no current or anything will go through the series wire at all? it will just bypass the series wire?
By series wire, you mean the lower blue?
No reason for any current to flow there. It would have to go through the wire and a speaker.
The easy path is the wire right above it. That way it only has to go through a wire.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.