I play a lot of Coheed and Cambria, and I've noticed that on some songs, Mic Todd has sort of a funky "flavor" to his playing, but keeps an edgy feel to it. ("Ten Speed" is a good example). Personally, I love this sound, and I'm trying to figure out how to write bass lines in a similar fashion. Does anyone have some tips to share?
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Last edited by Alden Ashford at Nov 10, 2009,
We can see your a Co&Ca fan by the fact you have named your guitars after Amory Wars characters... good man haha

Any way on topic, he slaps alot of his basslines, while ocasionally using very heavy handed finger style. What you should do is use alot of the blues scale. Cliche, yes, but useful. Almost think of it as a bass solo- very prominent sound, but still able to have other stuff going on without spoiling the broth, as it were.

Hope it helps (y)
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
We can see your a Co&Ca fan by the fact you have named your guitars after Amory Wars characters... good man haha

Any way on topic, he slaps alot of his basslines, while ocasionally using very heavy handed finger style. What you should do is use alot of the blues scale. Cliche, yes, but useful. Almost think of it as a bass solo- very prominent sound, but still able to have other stuff going on without spoiling the broth, as it were.

Hope it helps (y)

Eh... yeah. I'm a little obsessed. Thanks, I've never dealt with blues scales before, but that's what that all-guitar-chords site is for. The way he plays, it seems almost like he's playing a solo song that ties in perfectly with what the rest of the band is playing. Hopefully, I can pull that off someday. Thanks again.

Quote by Alden Ashford
Eh... yeah. I'm a little obsessed. Thanks, I've never dealt with blues scales before, but that's what that all-guitar-chords site is for. The way he plays, it seems almost like he's playing a solo song that ties in perfectly with what the rest of the band is playing. Hopefully, I can pull that off someday. Thanks again.

Hey man, its cool I am the same, love their stuff. Todd is a genius, but he was origionally a guitar player, turned bassist. You need to think like... Backend of Forever. Claudio is playiing a variation of the minor scale, and Todds just picking notes from it. Give it a shot. Play their stuff, watch some of their Neverender Vids on youtube (or the DVD ifyou have it) and watch what he does.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Quote by corrda00
Syncopation is a big part.

+1.

Funk is all about rhythm. You can play any damn notes you want, as long as the way you play them is funky.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
+1.

Funk is all about rhythm. You can play any damn notes you want, as long as the way you play them is funky.

I forgot that. Thats why you the man

Accented notes are good too.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Hey man, its cool I am the same, love their stuff. Todd is a genius, but he was origionally a guitar player, turned bassist. You need to think like... Backend of Forever. Claudio is playiing a variation of the minor scale, and Todds just picking notes from it. Give it a shot. Play their stuff, watch some of their Neverender Vids on youtube (or the DVD ifyou have it) and watch what he does.

Yeah, I have the DVD. The Welcome Home encore with Warren Haynes was beyond amazing. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. I've been playing along with it for a while. The main reason I was asking was to try to figure out ways to incorporate it into some of my own songs. And you succeeded in helping me. Between my last post and this one, I actually came up with two quick bass runs from the A Blues pentatonic scale, and they sound pretty damn good, if I say so myself.
Syncopation is a big part.

Synca-hoobie-whattie?

Edit: A, wait, I understand now. Nevermind the syncopation question.

Last edited by Alden Ashford at Nov 10, 2009,