Hey.

I'm 15 and hopefully if I get a decent amount of Christmas money i'll be able to absolutely sort out my guitar before I can get a job and then get myself a new amp soon after. I plan on doing quite a lot of stuff, namely:

- New Pickups (Iron Gear Hot Slags)

- Putting on Grover 106BC Locking Tuners

- Maybe putting on a full Batwing pickguard

- Putting some plain black covers on my pickups

So, my question is, to remove pickup ring (If I get my new pickguard), how would I go about getting it off. Would I have to take out the pickup? Or is it just a matter of unscrew, and lift off?

Secondly, how do pickup covers go on? Surely they don't just slide-on, do they?
No matter what, your going to need to dissasemble your guitar. You will nee to cut the ground, and input jack wires in order to get the pickguard off(assuming you have a strat)

I would imagine pup covers go on the same 2 bolts that go through the pickguard, holding the pup in. Pickup ring is attached to the same bolt as described.

Hmm, Batwing Pickguars are what is on an SG, interesting.
Scratch the pickguard part from the above paragraph.

I'm done blabbering. I lost my train of thought.
I do know, that some major dissasembling is required to change pups, and put a full batwing pickguard on.

Most of this stuff is pretty self explanatory.
..I was watching my death.
Yeah, I was just wondering whether it would be worth trying to do this stuff myself or ask my tech to do it when he changes my pickups. Meh, I guess i'll get him to do it. At least I can put in new tuners. Btw, are the one's I specified literally just, take off originals, put on new ones. Or am I gonna need to start drilling for those?

WILLEDIT: It's a Vintage VS6, so an SG copy.
You'll need to wax pot the pickups into the pickup covers.

otherwise, they'll vibrate and you'll get microphonic feedback.. ie. nasty squealing.
You'll need to measure the hole, or pole of the current tuners, to see if any drilling will be needed. I got this measurement from a Google search, not sure if it's accurate. Only one I found on the first page.
12/64"
changing pickups should be easy. just figure out how to take out the old ones and remember how they went on, then put on the new ones the same way.

edit: if you have a pickguard then you'll need to take it all the way off to get to em.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
changing pickups should be easy. just figure out how to take out the old ones and remember how they went on, then put on the new ones the same way.

edit: if you have a pickguard then you'll need to take it all the way off to get to em.

Don't forget soldering.

Also, It's an SG, so I don't think taking off the pickguard is necessary, unless he gets the new Full Batwing pickguard he wants.