Hey, I've been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deville for years now, and after switching to a true-bypass wah pedal, I've noticed my tone has gotten a lot brighter (to the point of being shrill), even on the neck pickup. I know Strats are supposed to be bright but I don't want my strat to be overly bright, you know?

Take John Frusciante's tone, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUvkGZ8PSA

Bright yet mellow.

What type of amp (preferably Fender but I'm open to other ideas) could give me a less bright tone?
Thanks.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
What's your budget?
To me, Carvins have the best clean channels I've ever heard. The X100b is like a crisper Fender, and the Legacy is a bit warmer than that.
A Vox AC 30, although it's not a fender, would be great for you me thinks.
Quote by Kartman
Hey, I've been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deville for years now, and after switching to a true-bypass wah pedal, I've noticed my tone has gotten a lot brighter (to the point of being shrill), even on the neck pickup. I know Strats are supposed to be bright but I don't want my strat to be overly bright, you know?

Bright yet mellow.

What type of amp (preferably Fender but I'm open to other ideas) could give me a less bright tone?
Thanks.

It seems like you just answered your own question bruh. Put that wah pedal back in your signal chain, bang.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
A bassman or a classic thirty would be fine, but you should be able to EQ your deville to get a warmer sound, just up the mids/bass, if not, lower the pickups.
Quote by Plexi81
A bassman or a classic thirty would be fine, but you should be able to EQ your deville to get a warmer sound, just up the mids/bass, if not, lower the pickups.

I would go with a Vox or maybe a Marshall JTM45 or combo, it was based on the Fender Bassman so it would sound like that but with the warmer british character.
try eqing your amp differently. buying a new amp because your wah is too shrill sounds a little silly.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sounds like you would also like ampegs a lot.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Kartman

Bright yet mellow.

Thanks.

What are your EQ settings? I have a Blues Jr, and it nails the Froosh tone. Bass all the way, mids at 11:00, and treble around 9..Along with the neck pup on the strat...
Quote by TOMMYB22
I would go with a Vox or maybe a Marshall JTM45 or combo, it was based on the Fender Bassman so it would sound like that but with the warmer british character.

Good idea...damn do I want me a JTM clone...
Quote by Plexi81
Good idea...damn do I want me a JTM clone...

get one, but it's not the answer to this issue.

here's whatcha do. pop a 5751 into V1 of the HRD. This will warm it up, decrease the shrill ice picky top end etc. go to tube depot, get the $20 5751 (ok it's $19.99). game over, insert coin.
Are your tubes stock Fender Groove Tubes? If it isn't overly horrendously shrill to the point of hurting then higher quality tubes supposedly can help.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
sounds like you liked having a buffer pedal in your chain. throw an eq into the fx loop and up the mids maybe? a new amp isnt the answer to your problem.
JTM45's are quite bright too with strats, so that's not really a solution.

TS, try some things with your amp, bright switch off, plug into the 2nd (darker) input, turn your presence down, put bass higher, roll off your tone control on the strat, etc.

what won't help is turning your mids up, because that also boosts the higher midrange which is what also makes your amp sound shrill. around 6/12 should be decent, depending on your setup.

good luck mate
Last edited by J-Master at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Instead of buying a new amp you can try rolling back your tone knob on your strat a bit.
This. The controls on your guitar are there for a reason, but also try that tube thing that Greg said.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
im having this same issue with my crate. first im gonna lower the treble side of my bridge pup (SD dimebucker) but if that doesnt do exactly what im looking for, im gonna try putting a different cap on my tone pot. i forget if its a higher or lower resistance cap that is needed if you want it to cut the treble.

hell, might try the tube idea too

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Turn down your treble, turn up your bass. In addition, DeVilles are notorious for being too bright at low volumes; there's a kit on eBay that apparently fixes that problem.