I'm heavily modding my Epi Firebird and I need a new set a pups. I really can't decide what I want. Cleans are just as important as distortion for me. I play stuff like the Beatles, AC/DC, SRV, RHCP, Rory Gallagher, so they need to be pretty diverse! I don't play much metal or high gain stuff at all, just odd bits of Satch, Megadeth and Metallica.

I was thinking of going for Bare Knuckle pickups because I've heard great things and I love the sound clips I've heard; I was thinking of maybe a Mississippi Queen (humbucker-sized P90) in the neck and an Emerald humbucker in the bridge.

What would you guys recommend? Is it a good idea to mix a P90 and a humbucker?

Cheers.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I don't know much about P90's, so I won't suggest them. If you want BKP pickups, I would go for a Blackdog in the bridge and a Stormy Monday in the neck. The Blackdog will give you rich and full cleans, while still being able to attain Megadeth and Metallica tones. The Stormy Monday will give you warmth and clarity for The Beatles and RHCP while still handling the drive for blues.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Yerjam
I'm heavily modding my Epi Firebird and I need a new set a pups. I really can't decide what I want. Cleans are just as important as distortion for me. I play stuff like the Beatles, AC/DC, SRV, RHCP, Rory Gallagher, so they need to be pretty diverse! I don't play much metal or high gain stuff at all, just odd bits of Satch, Megadeth and Metallica.

I was thinking of going for Bare Knuckle pickups because I've heard great things and I love the sound clips I've heard; I was thinking of maybe a Mississippi Queen (humbucker-sized P90) in the neck and an Emerald humbucker in the bridge.

What would you guys recommend? Is it a good idea to mix a P90 and a humbucker?

Cheers.

Bare Knuckles Pickups are great... although there are other makers out there. Personally I like BKPs so I'd highly recommend it.

As far as I can tell, you'd want 2 humbucker over a P90 and a 'bucker.

For your music... I'd suggest you look at
Stormy Monday Humbucker
PG Blues Humbucker
The Mule Humbucker
Riff Raff Humbucker
Black Dog Humbucker

However if you want something more PAF than Bare Knuckles, look at Stephen Designs (www.sdpickups.com). Be wared though, Stephen Designs are even pricier than BKPs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by aaronni
Have a look at Rock Monkey pickups.
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/
Similar price, cheaper I think, to Bareknuckles. PM CorduroyEW, he gives a 10% discount to UGers as well.

Rock Monkey is cheaper even before the discount. Definitely worth checking out.

Though I'm really only attracted to the neodynium pickups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I like the following...

Wolfetone Marshallheads, Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays with A4, WCR Crossroads, Seymour Duncan Antiquities
Quote by al112987
I like the following...

Wolfetone Marshallheads, Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays with A4, WCR Crossroads, Seymour Duncan Antiquities

hmmm what happened to the Seymour Duncan Custom shops... or the WCR Crossroad (or was it the Filmore)?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
hmmm what happened to the Seymour Duncan Custom shops... or the WCR Crossroad (or was it the Filmore)?
technically the antiquities are custom shop, I really like them with new A2 magnets rather than the ones that Seymour ages (which are kind of inconsistent in how much he degausses them), as for the WCRs, the Fillmores are cool, but I've been preferring the Crossroads lately, more PAF honk, really more of an aggressive PAF character. Fillmores are something else in themselves, great for that classic hard rock sound if you're into that '70s hot rod sound, but for my tastes, I really prefer a more late PAF/early patent number sound that the Crossroads just do great with.
Quote by al112987
technically the antiquities are custom shop, I really like them with new A2 magnets rather than the ones that Seymour ages (which are kind of inconsistent in how much he degausses them), as for the WCRs, the Fillmores are cool, but I've been preferring the Crossroads lately, more PAF honk, really more of an aggressive PAF character. Fillmores are something else in themselves, great for that classic hard rock sound if you're into that '70s hot rod sound, but for my tastes, I really prefer a more late PAF/early patent number sound that the Crossroads just do great with.

Ah yeah the Antiquities... I keep thinking of them as Seymour Duncan custom shop instead of their actual name. I was wondering how come the Antiquities was missing from your typical list of recommendations.

The way I see it... the inconsistent degaussing is all part of the custom shop uniqueness.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i agree it is, but sometimes the pickups just sound too dark and mushy as a result. idk, it depends, my wolfetones have aged magnets and they sound just fine, but the ants really play well with a new magnet in my experience.

but yeah I recommend them here and there, I sometimes get caught up in a lot of hoopla about whatever new boutique pickups I've tried as of late, but the ants are a set that really get it done, definitely a great workhorse set that you can order, don't cost an arm and a leg and you don't have to wait a month for them to arrive at your door, I had them in an Epi les paul back when I was a college freshman that left with the guitar but I do wish I could get them back sometimes. Seymour does a good job with them, vintage correct materials, uses the Leesona, probably the most authentic PAF replica on the market outside of Throbaks (which are awesome but seriously, not worth $450)
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by al112987
i agree it is, but sometimes the pickups just sound too dark and mushy as a result. idk, it depends, my wolfetones have aged magnets and they sound just fine, but the ants really play well with a new magnet in my experience.

but yeah I recommend them here and there, I sometimes get caught up in a lot of hoopla about whatever new boutique pickups I've tried as of late, but the ants are a set that really get it done, definitely a great workhorse set that you can order, don't cost an arm and a leg and you don't have to wait a month for them to arrive at your door, I had them in an Epi les paul back when I was a college freshman that left with the guitar but I do wish I could get them back sometimes. Seymour does a good job with them, vintage correct materials, uses the Leesona, probably the most authentic PAF replica on the market outside of Throbaks (which are awesome but seriously, not worth $450)

So what new boutiques have you been trying recently?

I've no new cause... and no money to be changing my pickups now.

How much did you pay for the Antiquities.

Damn I gotta stop thread jacking other people's threads for casual conversations.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
So what new boutiques have you been trying recently?

I've no new cause... and no money to be changing my pickups now.

How much did you pay for the Antiquities.

Damn I gotta stop thread jacking other people's threads for casual conversations.
I actually have no business buying pickups either, I haven't been buying them, I've more been playing around with other people's guitars as of late, luckily I live in an area with a lot of musicians so I've played around with some Throbaks SLE101+ limiteds, cool pickups definitely, but if it came down to it, not worth the price tag, really liked a set of Stormy Mondays I played in a 335, fit that guitar perfectly. My problem is really more that I just odn't have enough guitars to put all the pickups I want in. But so far, as far as bridge pickups go, I have not yet found one that I like more than what Wolfetone wound for me. At least for what I want in a bridge pickup, it is literally exactly what I was looking for so I feel like that will never get replaced. The neck is ok, but really the bridge in that setup just kicks ass.

The Antiquities came in a guitar that I bought off a guy for college, but it only had the bridge and it had a stock Epi in the neck and stuck the Antiquity bridge in the neck and put a JB in the bridge for a while and later found a used Antiquity bridge to put in the bridge that the owner had put a new magnet into. I really liked the setup, but they left with the guitar. You can pick up a set of Ants in the USA for... idk, $200-$230 or so.
Quote by al112987
I actually have no business buying pickups either, I haven't been buying them, I've more been playing around with other people's guitars as of late, luckily I live in an area with a lot of musicians so I've played around with some Throbaks SLE101+ limiteds, cool pickups definitely, but if it came down to it, not worth the price tag, really liked a set of Stormy Mondays I played in a 335, fit that guitar perfectly. But so far, as far as bridge pickups go, I have not yet found one that I like more than what Wolfetone wound for me. At least for what I want in a pickup, it is literally exactly what I was looking for so I feel like that will never get replaced.

haha... I was wondering how in the blazes you could try so many pickups at a go.

The best I have is testing the pickups on guitars I do setups on and string changes etc over the weekend for the extra cash. Sadly enough, the best around here are basic Seymour Duncan and DiMarzios... had a few GFS and Iron Gear... but nothing really awesome.

I personally haven't found the ideal set of pickups just yet... but I've narrowed it down to characteristics inherent in the Bare Knuckles Nailbomb & Painkiller, the DiMarzio D Sonic, Super Distortion, Air Norton... and a few others haha.

Does Wolfetone do truly custom orders... or are they adjustments to his current line of pickups?

Quote by al112987
The Antiquities came in a guitar that I bought off a guy for college, but it only had the bridge and it had a stock Epi in the neck and stuck the Antiquity bridge in the neck and put a JB in the bridge for a while and later found a used Antiquity bridge to put in the bridge that the owner had put a new magnet into. I really liked the setup, but they left with the guitar. You can pick up a set of Ants in the USA for... idk, $200-$230 or so.

Man... frankenstein is what I'm thinking of right now haha.

I'll have to check out the Antiquities... but they don't sell them here in Singapore.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
haha... I was wondering how in the blazes you could try so many pickups at a go.

The best I have is testing the pickups on guitars I do setups on and string changes etc over the weekend for the extra cash. Sadly enough, the best around here are basic Seymour Duncan and DiMarzios... had a few GFS and Iron Gear... but nothing really awesome.

I personally haven't found the ideal set of pickups just yet... but I've narrowed it down to characteristics inherent in the Bare Knuckles Nailbomb & Painkiller, the DiMarzio D Sonic, Super Distortion, Air Norton... and a few others haha.

Does Wolfetone do truly custom orders... or are they adjustments to his current line of pickups?

It doesn't hurt to shoot him an email. Thing was, I got so sick of trying different pickups all the time searching for something that might sound like what I wanted that I basically took all I knew about pickups, about the pickups in the guitars of the artists, specific aspects of their sound, and threw something together (literally I was using words like "chirpy" to describe the sound that I wanted). In the end my pickup is essentially a custom job, his pickup lineup is diverse enough that you can always find something similar but not exactly the same. I had the "Marshallhead wind" but it's not really a Marshallhead, not even close, it just uses the same winding pattern, I know nothing about how to lay wire on a pickup so it's not like I could've really suggested anything anyway in that sense. But I just told him the specs that I wanted based on what I had learned about pickups, what qualities I wanted in my sound, and he did a great job, he sent them out, called me up and pretty much told me, if I don't like them, send them back and he'll redo them for me. At first I kind of didn't like it, I kept insisting for a lower wind (the stock Marshallhead wind is ~9k, and I got something ~8.2k-8.3k) with a different magnet profile, but once I really tweaked and dialed them in, they've been everything I've ever wanted.

So yeah, if you're having trouble finding EXACTLY what you're looking for, going custom is really your best bet.
Quote by al112987
It doesn't hurt to shoot him an email. Thing was, I got so sick of trying different pickups all the time searching for something that might sound like what I wanted that I basically took all I knew about pickups, about the pickups in the guitars of the artists, specific aspects of their sound, and threw something together (literally I was using words like "chirpy" to describe the sound that I wanted). In the end my pickup is essentially a custom job, his pickup lineup is diverse enough that you can always find something similar but not exactly the same. I had the "Marshallhead wind" but it's not really a Marshallhead, not even close, it just uses the same winding pattern, I know nothing about how to lay wire on a pickup so it's not like I could've really suggested anything anyway in that sense. But I just told him the specs that I wanted based on what I had learned about pickups, what qualities I wanted in my sound, and he did a great job, he sent them out, called me up and pretty much told me, if I don't like them, send them back and he'll redo them for me. At first I kind of didn't like it, I kept insisting for a lower wind (the stock Marshallhead wind is ~9k, and I got something ~8.2k-8.3k) with a different magnet profile, but once I really tweaked and dialed them in, they've been everything I've ever wanted.

So yeah, if you're having trouble finding EXACTLY what you're looking for, going custom is really your best bet.

Ooooo.... now that does sound interesting....

So Wolfe is ok doing proper custom jobs?

I love my Bare Knuckles... but they're not quite there for my tone.

They're like 90% of the way there... its the right direction, right sound, right nuances etc etc, but it just can't nail the last 10%... either that or one pickup doesn't have all the qualities I'm looking for.

I agree... trying to nail that tone is quite difficult.

I'll check out Wolfetone as well... thx for sharing al.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
At the risk of adding more confusion, can I put a word in for Irongear? Fir a great mix of possibilities, I'd be inclined towards a Rolling Mill for the neck and either a Hot Slag or a Rolling Mill overwound for the bridge. Have a listen to the samples on their site.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by ragingkitty
Ooooo.... now that does sound interesting....

So Wolfe is ok doing proper custom jobs?

I love my Bare Knuckles... but they're not quite there for my tone.

They're like 90% of the way there... its the right direction, right sound, right nuances etc etc, but it just can't nail the last 10%... either that or one pickup doesn't have all the qualities I'm looking for.

I agree... trying to nail that tone is quite difficult.

I'll check out Wolfetone as well... thx for sharing al.
I know the feeling it's like you want qualities A, B, C, and D in your sound, and you get a set of pickups that have A and B but the fact that it's missing C and D just drive you up the wall, so you drop another $300 on a set of pickups that have C and D and you just love them for a while and then you realize that you really miss A and B of the first set and then you're just left frustrated
Quote by aaronni
Have a look at Rock Monkey pickups.
Similar price, cheaper I think, to Bareknuckles. PM CorduroyEW, he gives a 10% discount to UGers as well.

Yh, definately have a look at Rock Monkey pickups. I should be getting the Smooth Heritage neck pup in a few days time.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
if you're thinking of going with bareknuckles, ask over at the bareknuckle forum for advice (and also email bareknuckle for a second opinion).

As said, though, you have several other options, too- rockmonkey, bulldog, shed, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
I know the feeling it's like you want qualities A, B, C, and D in your sound, and you get a set of pickups that have A and B but the fact that it's missing C and D just drive you up the wall, so you drop another $300 on a set of pickups that have C and D and you just love them for a while and then you realize that you really miss A and B of the first set and then you're just left frustrated

That's exactly the feeling I get.

It gets quite frustrating.

I'll check in with Wolfe... altho he uses a lot of alnico magnets... I prefer the sound of ceramics, especially the sound of clean from a ceramic magnet pickup... it sounds clean and chimey.

I suppose I should share this now... I hope you have the time to check out all these makers...

Amalfitano Pickups
www.amalfitanopickups.com

Angeltone Electronic
www.angeltone.com

Bare Knuckles
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

BG Pickups
http://www.norcalguitars.com
http://www.bg-pups.com/

Brandon Wound Pickups
http://www.brandonwoundpickups.com/

Bulldog Pickups
http://www.bulldogpickups.com/

Copperhead Pickups
http://www.copperheadpickups.com

Curtis Novak Guitars and Pickups
http://www.curtisnovak.com

DragonFire Guitars
http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/

Gadow Hand Wound Pickups
http://www.gadowguitars.com/gadow-hand-wound-pickups.html

GFS Pickups
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

Harmonic Design
http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

Hanson Pickups
http://www.hansonpickups.com/

High Order Pickups
http://www.highorderpickups.com/

Iron Gear
http://www.irongear.co.uk/

James Reed Pickups
http://reedjamescustom.com/

Juicy Pickups
http://www.juicypickups.com

Joe Barden Engineering
http://www.joebarden.com

J. M. Rolph
http://www.jmrolph.com/

J S Morre Pickups
http://www.tonefordays.com/

Klein Pickups
http://www.kleinpickups.com/

Lollar Guitar Pickups
http://www.lollarguitars.com/

Manlius Guitar Pickups
http://www.manliusguitar.com/

Mojo Pickups
http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/pickups.asp?id=65960&s=Custom%20Wound

Motor City Pickups
http://motorcitypickups.com/

O.C. Duff Pickups
http://www.ocduffpickups.com/

Patrick McDonald Handwound Pickups
Link unknown

Rio Grande Pickups
http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Rock Monkey

Rockfield Pickups
http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/

Rocketfire Pickups
http://www.1stgearmusic.com/rocketfirescatterwoundvintagesinglecoilstratpickups.aspx

Rumpelstiltskin Pickups
http://www.rumpelpickups.com/

S.K. Guitar Specialities
http://www.skguitar.com

Sheptone
http://www.sheptone.com/hum.htm

Shed Pickups
http://www.shedpickups.com

Skatterbrane
https://www.skatterbrane.com

Sidewynder Pickups
http://www.sidewynder.co.uk

Smit's Hand Wound Pickups
http://www.smitspickups.com/

Stan Hinesley Handwound Pickups
http://www.stanhinesleypickups.com/

Stephen Design
http://www.sdpickups.com/

Swineshead Pickups
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

Throbak Electronics & Pickups
www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/

Timpson Music
http://www.timpsonmusic.com/html/tdm_pickups.html

Toneworks Custom Pickups
http://www.toneworks.co.uk/

Toneriders
http://www.tonerider.com/

Torres Engineering
http://www.torresamps.com/pickups.htm

WB Custom Pickups
http://www.wbpickups.com/

WCR
http://www.wcrguitar.com/

Witkowski Guitars
http://www.witkowskiguitars.com

Wizard Pickups Ltd
http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk

Wolfe Tone
http://www.wolfetone.com

Zhangbucker Pickups
zhangbucker@yahoo.com
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
That's exactly the feeling I get.

It gets quite frustrating.

I'll check in with Wolfe... altho he uses a lot of alnico magnets... I prefer the sound of ceramics, especially the sound of clean from a ceramic magnet pickup... it sounds clean and chimey.
I think Wolfe has a ceramic pickup somewhere in his lineup, also, I'd ask about alnico 8, he used to use those on a few as well only I think he stopped because they're a fair bit more expensive than other mags; I've never used one but this is what Dave from Zhangbucker says about them...

I've used A8 fairly extensively and trust me, it's nothing like A5. It is much, much stronger, way more output, and has much more midrange, very full, while A5 tends to have a mid-scoop. The top end is a lot like A2, vintagey and sweet. Overall it combines the best qualities of ceramic, A2 and A5 without any of their weaknesses.

To me, it's a very viable alternative to ceramics for a customer wanting a high-output pu with a naturally bright guitar who's sick of the harshness that ceramics sometimes have (depending on the wind and the guitar it goes in).

Its main weakness is the magnetic pull is very strong (maybe even stronger than ceramic) so you could never use it in a neck pu. You even have to back your bridge pu away from the strings a little more than normal because it will cut into the sustain just a touch. It has another semi-weakness in that the bass response is really huge -- not flabby, but not quite as tight as ceramic, at least to my ear -- but depending on the application, this is as likely to be a strength as a weakness.

I suppose you could degauss it a touch to tame it some, but it might lose some top end. I will try it at some point.

Another alternative is Alnico 6, but that's another story...
Quote by al112987
I think Wolfe has a ceramic pickup somewhere in his lineup, also, I'd ask about alnico 8, he used to use those on a few as well only I think he stopped because they're a fair bit more expensive than other mags; I've never used one but this is what Dave from Zhangbucker says about them...

Yeah he has one... just off the top of my head... I think its the Blisterbucker.

I'll have to check out his work, but the thing is that his winds don't seem to match what I want . He'll probably really have to really crack his head to get me what I want. Though I wouldn't mind paying if he can get me exactly what I want.

I've considered the alnico 8 (in the form of Seymour Duncan's Alternative 8), but didn't get one in the end. I'll have to look into it though. However, when I tried Alnico 2 and 5 pickups... they have that one characteristic I didn't like. Alnico pickups came across as inherently "warm" to me... which just comes across as a signature alnico sound. Plus, they do tend to sorta flub a little to my ears.

Strange enough to say... I like my pickup sounds to have a sparkle and chime... which is something that ceramics then to have... I suppose I like the sterile sound haha.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
yay, the list! Is it just me or is that list getting longer all the time?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yay, the list! Is it just me or is that list getting longer all the time?

Haha... you still remember who maintains the list haha.

Yeah I update it as I find more makers, but since you last saw it (at least from the last time we both posted on the same thread as the list), I've only added 4 makers.

I think the list scared the TS off
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
hehe, it scares me
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?