been playing for around a year, and decided to buy my second guitar... but decided to for something a bit eccentric...gonna get a Manson replica, like Matt Bellamy's from Muse, a Mirror Top

i saw a guy on Youtube who says he makes custom guitars, then ships em out to ya, and i have to pay first, or at least in blocks... im a bit concerned about that of course, in case i get ripped off. need advice opinions etc etc etc.

gonna cost me $2200 and that aint including the shipping 2 Scotland, which i think is quite good

Features -
Sapele Wood
.46 Gauge Strings
Mirror Top
Bareknuckle Nailbomb Humbucker
Fernandes Sustainer
Built In Fuzz Factory
3 Way Toggle Switch (Kill switch in middle position)
no its just him... i scrolled his YouTube channel, and saw he has made quite a few of these guitars, which i have searched for months and months for in vain... each of them are different and he says they go to different people so im really caught in a hard place =/
If you want it that bad wait until you get some more info from others experiences or somethin or just go out and get yourself a nice guitar. That's what I'd do cause I'm impatient
Quote by Divine Hands
dont trust that guy unless he's workin for a company

So private luthiers who work for themselves are bad? And what about the genuine guys who work out of their backyard but build high quality guitars? Just because someone works for a company doesn't mean they still can't rip you off.

And TS see if you can get into any contact with his previous clients and ask them as many questions as you need to to feel safe or just try googling for a response or a review on a forum some where. To a lesser extent the harmony central review database may help but I don't know if they would have him.
lol ironically i found another guy who is in a company, and also from the UK who will do the exact same guitar...cheaper =DD great success lol

hard part is now deciding whether to get the custom or just buy a Gibson or somethin ASAP =/ ahhh moral dilemna !!!
Depends how bad you want the guitar
My advice is go with a secondhand brand name so the resale value is still there.
Just my two bobs
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Lespauljames
come down to devon and get one mansons direct

i emailed Mansons, they said no he said they were thinking about releasing a Deloreon model (Matts silver one) and i could only get one through that so it doesnt look like i can get one direct from Mansons, unless they issue a specific run =[
Quote by divinorum69
Just pay a luthier in your area.

Get a luthier built guitar.

my area is a shit hole no luthiers in my area... the only one i spoke to who can make the guitar for me is in Wales... the build will take 2 months, and cost £1500... but now im thinking about taking out the Fernandes Sustainer and adding another pickup to the Neck instead of the sustainer... dunno what pick up to use though... one with a Slash sorta tone would be nice, so maybe a Seymour Duncan Alnico II ?!?!

plus i dunno if i wanna wait 2 months for my guitar to be built, when i could just buy one straight from my local Guitar store instead
Quote by Vlasco
2 months isn´t that bad.

well... overall no, but part of my problem is my lack of patience... if i get to a point of waiting 2 months, my mind will wander, and ill end up playing CoD:MW2 non stop then a wont give a s*** bout the new guitar... its odd how my mind wanders...

ok final opinion part -
A) wait 2 months and get a custom guitar to my specifications
B) waiting is for pussy's, get an Explorer or a Les Paul NOW !!!
Quote by KingHenrik1967
ill end up playing CoD:MW2 non stop then a wont give a s*** bout the new guitar...

already there and my vote is wait the 2 months. you'll have that Les Paul in 2 months and sitting there thinking "i'd have my dream guitar by now..."

seriously, 2 months might even be just a quick estimation. it might be much faster in reality, the luthier just wouldn't want you to be upset if he said it would take only a month and it ended up 2.

anyway, i went the custom route and bought a warmoth guitar. definitely worth it. i already want my second! my guitar totaled up at $1000 or so USD, but would have cost $1500 or $2000 if it were made by a company. custom is worth it!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
If this is about the guy near Cardiff, have no fears. I know several people who have used him and he is straight and builds phenomenal guitars. He takes CC or Paypal so your transaction is insured by the CC company. Being a small operator, his completion estimates may go out a bit from the original quote but that is life in a small business and you have the assurance that he won't rush a job for the sake of meeting a delivery date.
I bought my H&S from a similar setup and it arrived 2 months late. But they kept me informed all the way and he will, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
If this is about the guy near Cardiff, have no fears. I know several people who have used him and he is straight and builds phenomenal guitars. He takes CC or Paypal so your transaction is insured by the CC company. Being a small operator, his completion estimates may go out a bit from the original quote but that is life in a small business and you have the assurance that he won't rush a job for the sake of meeting a delivery date.
I bought my H&S from a similar setup and it arrived 2 months late. But they kept me informed all the way and he will, too.

the company is called TC Ellis guitars, if that helps....

i think hes from near cardiff, but cant be sure... yeah he said he takes paypal so its guaranteed he cant rip me off, and also, some1 posted a review about one of his guitar on here, and in no uncertain terms, said its the shizzle..

yegasmesh.....is nice
Quote by KingHenrik1967
the company is called TC Ellis guitars, if that helps....

i think hes from near cardiff, but cant be sure... yeah he said he takes paypal so its guaranteed he cant rip me off, and also, some1 posted a review about one of his guitar on here, and in no uncertain terms, said its the shizzle..

yegasmesh.....is nice

If that's the case then Lurcher would definitely about the TC Ellis brand.
the one thing i also spotted - i want the integrated Z. Vex Fuzz Factory... but i dont really know how it works integrated on a guitar... like if theres a 3-way toggle switch... what does each of the 3 positions do (up=on, down+mid=off etc etc ?!?!), (and in matt's guitar at least) what do the 2 control knobs do on his ?? like does he have volume, gate, stab, comp or drive knobs ?!? im only annoyed by this issue coz i may have to tell the luthier EXACTLY what i need in terms of electronics down to the specifics =/

Mr Slave is my hero... aww Jesus Chriiist :O
Quote by azn_guitarist25
So private luthiers who work for themselves are bad? And what about the genuine guys who work out of their backyard but build high quality guitars? Just because someone works for a company doesn't mean they still can't rip you off.

I think he meant that a company is WAY less likely to rip you off, especially the well known companies, think about it. I'm sure he wasn't just generalizing the entire private Luthier market.

Quote by azn_guitarist25

And TS see if you can get into any contact with his previous clients and ask them as many questions as you need to to feel safe or just try googling for a response or a review on a forum some where. To a lesser extent the harmony central review database may help but I don't know if they would have him.

And this would be an excellent course of action TS.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
CHANGE OF PLAN FOLKS !!!

decided to take out the idea of a Fernandes Sustainer and the internal Z. Vex Fuzz factory... gonna go old school and just get 2 Manson Bareknucle Nailbomb Pickups, 1 vol 1 tone, the kill switch wiring, pair of strap locks, maybe a floyd rose bridge (still deciding about this one)...

could do with good amp ideas... only for practicing, but need a better one... Marshall 10DFX aint gonna cut it i dont think...

should be a bit more Cheap cheap cheap