I recently posted a thread in which someone mentioned carvin guitars. i REALLY am liking what i am hearing so far about them...
however could people tell me more about materials (wood) that are used in these guitars and how they affect tonal possibilities and what my best options would be.
I am looking to get into a metal genre playing style i definatly want a flamed maple top but if you have seen other colour choices that look stunning post them and i'll take a look.

I hope this thread will be of importance to others who are interested in carving guitars and not just me
I don't know exactly what you're asking, Carvin uses whatever kind of wood you want them to use. They build their guitars custom to your specs. For Metal, probably your best bet is going to be Mahogany as your core body wood and neck wood. Adding a flame maple top isn't going to detract from your tone very much if at all. For color choices Carvin has extensive galleries for all of their models that shows most all of your common color options. I don't know if you have it or not, but here is a Link To Their Website. The website has online builders so you can mock up configurations. My particular favorite is the CT6 California Double Cut. One day I'm going to have them build me one of those.

I hope this answers your question a little bit. If not, sorry, I didn't really understand what you were asking all that well.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
There's a pretty good description of the wood types on Carvin's website. But keep in mind the differences in most instances will be fairly subtle. You'll only really notice the difference in wood if you're playing on a higher end amp with a fairly clean sound.

The best people to answer these questions are Carvin. Give them a call, they were a huge help to me when I ordered my CS6 in.
yeah, carvin will really use whatever you want for their guitars. mahogany, maple, koa, walnut, basswood. you can get just about whatever you want. i love basswood for metal guitars, but that also depends a bit on what pickups you would be using. any bridges you'd like. they are true custom guitars.

and just about any dye color looks great on a flame maple top, so i think you'll get a great looking guitar no matter what

check out their in-stock options. they might already have a guitar you like. the in-stock would be a little bit cheaper than a custom order, too.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I don't own a Carvin...yet.

I do know a lot of people who do, however, and they're all very happy with their purchases.

Their line covers the gamut of styles- semi-hollows, hollows, & solids; hard tails & Bigsby, Wilkinson or Floyd Rose trems; traditional shapes, original designs and the "pointy" guitars that are so popular with the metal set these days; neck-through designs & bolt-ons; 6, 7, & 12s, as well as 4 or 5 string basses...and fretless necks as well. You can even get kits and parts.

I haven't seen them do much in the way of wild graphics, but beyond that, their colors and wood selections are top-notch.

As for woods, they actually tell you a little about what each wood does for your tone in general when you look at this link: http://www.carvinguitars.com/wood_finish/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2009,
I'm saving up for a Carvin after hearing about and playing many of them. Good choice, man.

Anyway - you might look through the photo gallery section of their message boards - that'll show you some typical Carvin fair. They use awesome woods. Only real sticking point I've had with them is their pickups, which I don't care for.

And also - as long as you don't order some non-standard option, you get a 10-day trial period after it gets to your house - you don't like it, send it back and you get a refund.
however could people tell me more about materials (wood) that are used in these guitars and how they affect tonal possibilities and what my best options would be.

Carvin are a bit odd. They are not a true "custom shop" like Ran Guitars or somesuch, where you call them up, tell them exactly what you want, and they build exactly that. They have set models, with options available. You order one with the options you want. They can often be persuaded to build non-standard guitars, but there are some things they flat-out will not do. Their V220 and Ultra V models, for example, are not available in left-handed - and they probably never will be. As far as wood goes - with proper persuasion, any of their models can probably be made out of any wood they've got. Walnut, basswood, alder, mahogany. Just ask 'em. They have excellent customer service. Expect an upcharge though, if it's not standard.
I am looking to get into a metal genre playing style i definatly want a flamed maple top but if you have seen other colour choices that look stunning post them and i'll take a look.
Flamed maple is not a color, it's a wood. Some of their guitars are offered with them, some are not. You can get them in any color you want.