I have a Jackson DX10D with a Basswood body and licensed Floyd Rose bridge. I don't like the sound that the stock Duncan Designed humbuckers have (Neck+Bridge Position). I wanted to know what anyone thinks would be a good choice of replacement pickups. I like rock and metal music and I'd like to have a sound similar to Petrucci/Vai/Satriani for lead. Something that can go clean too. Thanks!
Quote by Gurple87
I have a Jackson DX10D with a Basswood body and licensed Floyd Rose bridge. I don't like the sound that the stock Duncan Designed humbuckers have (Neck+Bridge Position). I wanted to know what anyone thinks would be a good choice of replacement pickups. I like rock and metal music and I'd like to have a sound similar to Petrucci/Vai/Satriani for lead. Something that can go clean too. Thanks!

Waaa amp?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Try the DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and the Tone Zone in the bridge. Very popular (and awesome sounding) pickup combo

EDIT: Like he said, what amp?

(^ the end of the world)
Its a Line 6 Spider III 30w, Its ok for practice but I know I need to upgrade soon.
Your gonna need a new amp first, don't waste your money on pickups just yet.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Get a new amp, and the pickups after, and then you'll really like your tone

(^ the end of the world)
not enough info for a good recomendation. what amp are you using? what do you not like about the current pickups? what do you want to change about the guitars tone? do you prefer focused or harmonically rich pickups? more info would help but as a suggestion id say you cant go wrong with the seymour duncan hot rodded pack that has a jazz neck pup and a jb bridge. that would cover a lot of ground from clean to metal well. be wary of the tone zone btw. its very bass heavy and unfocused to many peoples ears (or thunderously brutal and harmonically rich if your ears like it, its all preference) so try before you buy.
Upgrade your amp first.

An amp will contribute towards the majority of your adjustable tone.

Once you've achieved a base tone you like, then check back with a pickup question.

However, to actually provide you with something to start your research:

All pickups listed are Dimarzio pickups

Bridge: D Sonic / Crunch Lab / Breed / Tone Zone / Evolution / Evo 2
Neck: Air Norton / Air Zone / Breed / Evolution Neck / FRED / LiquiFire / Mo' Joe / PAF Joe / PAF Pro

My person favourites for my Ibanez RG (also a basswood guitar) are the bolded ones.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
id say you cant go wrong with the seymour duncan hot rodded pack that has a jazz neck pup and a jb bridge. that would cover a lot of ground from clean to metal well.

The jazz/jb combo is far too generic sounding for the guitarist he listed.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 10, 2009,
If you're willing to go used look into a Peavey JSX or a Carvin V3. I think either of those amps would suite you well.