Long story in short form:

I have EMG 81/85's, I'm sick of them.

Need something for progressive rock, with better cleans than the EMG's.
Lots of pedals.
Tried and true Dimarzio Breed.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Tried and true Dimarzio Breed.

Good choice. I also like the Seymour Duncan Full Shred. Output is a tick higher than 'overwound', but it's not a 'distortion' level humbucker. The extra row of adjustable polepieces makes it easier to balance string-to-string, and it seems to be better defined with high gain. It can be a little trebly in the wrong guitar though, so I wouldn't be putting it in anything made out of ash. It was perfect in my Les Paul with a 57 Plus (or Pro or whatever) in the neck. Cleans weren't sparkling Fender, but they were fantastic in the middle position.
DiMarzio D Sonic in bridge
DiMarzio Air Norton in neck
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
assuming youre talking about that strat you have on that tag of yours id say get an HSS style pickguard and install dimarzio true velvets and a FRED bridge pickup. thats what i have in my modded out MIM strat and it gets you all the classic strat neck and neck/middle position tones but with a little more output that is easily volume pot controlable and the FRED gives you some humbucker fatness and harmonic overtones a-plenty and yet still compliments a strats tonality well. and if you put a coil tap on the bridge you can still get some nice twangy country sounds although its not as authentic as the traditional slanted single coil. better cleans you will not find and you can still rip with the bridge humbucker and get cool yngwie type metal solo tones from the slightly hot but traditional neck pup when in high gain mode.

edit wow just finished typing and saw that it was a telecaster and not strat.... wow. feel free to ignore what i said. however i think a true velvet/fred would compliment a tele nicely as well. as i feel obliged to give you advice despite my blunder i would say still the fred in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck. not a lot of output but they are both very harmonically rich pickups and would give you everything that you find lacking in pickups as harmonically focused and sterile as the 81/85 combo. pardon my wasting of your time reading the original statement i made.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Nov 10, 2009,
TS... just checking... you're aware you need to change your pots to 500KΩ pots right?

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
edit wow just finished typing and saw that it was a telecaster and not strat.... wow. feel free to ignore what i said. however i think a true velvet/fred would compliment a tele nicely as well. as i feel obliged to give you advice despite my blunder i would say still the fred in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck. not a lot of output but they are both very harmonically rich pickups and would give you everything that you find lacking in pickups as harmonically focused and sterile as the 81/85 combo. pardon my wasting of your time reading the original statement i made.

The true velvet is a very nice pickup nonetheless. Maybe the TS can do a HSH tele

The Fred is also another pickup worth considering... very nice harmonic response and sensitivity.

The PAF Pro in the neck is also very awesome.

Strange that you didn't mention the Humbucker From Hell tho.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

this. nuff said
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by ragingkitty

/competition.
Quote by ragingkitty

This makes +3. Mess around with which coil is closer to the bridge on both pickups.
Quote by Thurisaz
This makes +3. Mess around with which coil is closer to the bridge on both pickups.

For darker instruments, face the D Sonic's blade towards the bridge.

For brighter instruments, face the D Sonic's blade towards the neck.

I liked mine towards the bridge in my Ibanez RG.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )