What are the best tubes for this in terms of value for money? I don't want to spend a fortune, but want decent performance. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard with stock pups. I just bought this second hand and am thinking that I should probably replace them.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Depending on what tone you're looking for there are a lot of different solutions. I personally run JJ Tesla 12AX7s (preamp) and SED EL34's (Power). This gives me a bitting tone that I truly love but you can also get just the stock tubes that came in the amp if you look at what the manufacturer has to offer. The best source of tubes that I have found is Tubedepot.com. They carry most anything and they ship quickly and safely. I personally had a bad tube sent to me and I sent them back to their store and they shipped me a new complete set. They have been wonderful. So if you do decide on an option I would certainly go through them. The world of tube types and tones you can get from them is very vast so definitely get the advice of many different people!
BJ
I'm in Australia, so probably can't get them from there. No doubt they'll be double the cost if I get them locally.

Do you know what Derek Trucks uses? I don't want to just copy someone's tone, but he has a wickedly smooth tone that just cuts through perfectly, and I believe he uses a similar amp.

Also, how many different tubes does it take and for what purpose? ie. preamps etc. I'm a complete noob to this sorry.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Nov 10, 2009,
Alright, well I found the following, but I don't know what the hell it means! Could someone maybe translate to what I'll need for the DRRI?

> His tone is the Seymour Duncan Antiquity [pickup], vintage Super Reverb loaded with Pyle Drivers, and his two main amps set up with tubes from Lord Valve. The 65 Super has: V1-empty [apparently for more gain], V2-NOS Beijing “Silver Special” 12AX7, V3-NOS PHILLIPS JAN 12AT7-WC, V4-NOS BEIJING 12AX7 (GREY PLATE), V5-ANY 12AX7, V6-NOS MULLARD CV-4024/12AT7 WA, V7 & V8- NOS PHILLIPS JAN 7581, V-9 NOS PHILLIPS 5AR4.

> His 1966 Super Reverb has: V1- empty, V2-Reflector/Tung-Sol 12AX7, V3-NOS Phillips JAN 12AT7 WC, V4-Reflektor/Tung-Sol 12AX7, V5-any 12AX7, V6-NOS Mullard CV-4024/12AT7 WA, V7 & V8-Reflektor/Svetlana 6L6GC, V9-Sovtek GZ-34.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Nov 10, 2009,
And this if it means anything:

Tube compliment is as follows, looking at the amp from the REAR and numbering the sockets from RIGHT to LEFT:

1) No tube installed (Normal channel preamp)
2) NOS Beijing-production Silver Special 12AX7 (Vibrato channel preamp)
3) NOS PHilips JAN 12AT7WC (reverb tank driver)
4) Reflektor-production Tung-Sol 12AX7 (reverb recovery/mixer)
5) Any 12AX7 that still lights up (tremelo oscillator)
6) NOS Mullard CV-4024/12At7WA (phase inverter)
7) NOS JAN Philips 7581A (power tube)
8) NOS JAN Philips 7581A (power tube)
9) NOS JAN Philips 5AR4/GZ-34 (rectifier)

> Lately, Derek has been runing two BFSRs in larger venues, set up in a V configuration with the speakers firing across each other at about a 90-degree angle. When this is done, the line output on the ‘65 feeds a Behringer volume pedal, the output of which is plugged into the Vibrato channel input on his ‘66 BFSR. The ‘66 has the same circuitry tweaks, with no line out jack installed. It runs a different tube set, as follows:

1) No tube
2) Reflektor-production Tung-Sol 12AX7
3) NOS JAN PHilips 12AT7WA
4) Reflektor-production Tung-Sol 12AX7
5) Anything that still lights up
6) NOS Mullard CV-4024/12AT7WA
7) Reflektor-production Svetlana 6L6GC
8) Reflektor-production Svetlana 6L6GC
9) Sovtek GZ-34
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Another thing, why doesn't Derek use a tube for the first channel if the second is vibrato? I'm sure he doesn't use the vibrato channel for playing on.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
if you are a noob then you should take it to a tech to get the tubes replaced. the super reverb is a different amp and will have a different tube setup. probably just more power tubes though. the vibrato channel is used often because it has the reverb and you can switch the vibrato on and off. thats all i know on the matter.
I'm not taking it to one because then I'll never learn myself, and be paying some asshole to rip me off. What does the first channel on the amp actually do then? Cheers for the info.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
I think I'll just leave the tube out of the first socket then. I found this as a guide:

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=5

So I think I'll go by this and substitute for what Trucks has where I can, or would mixing between them make it sound shit?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
And is there a good Aussie site for tubes, or just eBay?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
yeh you should be fine using that and there will be a layout pic on the inside of the amp when you get it. changing the preamp tube should be easy enough but you need to bias the amp when chaging power amp tubes. also you would probably need a matched set of power amp tubes. some of the tubes that guy uses might be hard to find here is australia i reckon. considering the exchange rate, ordering from overseas could be pretty good too.

i get that you want to learn how to change your tubes but i reckon getting your amp serviced by a pro every couple of years is a good investment.
Well the dude that sold it to me says he's an amp tech, but I might consider it. Only one store that does it where I love and they'd charge at least 200 I'd reckon.

I'll check them out anyway and if it's too much just do it myself.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1pZa0Vj4I

Is this exactly how the DRRI is and all I need to know in terms of biasing? Where do you get the connector that goes into the tube sockets on the amp into your multimeter?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Nov 11, 2009,
That looks like the right one. holy crap that seems kind of steep charging that much for one. i guess it would make biasing a breeze though so not a bad investment. luckily for me though my amp is self biasing.