There's five of us, and it's just hard to keep everyone focused. For example, I'll have to play something with just the singer so he gets the hang of new lyrics, or the bassist will show me something he's been working on and wants to make a song out of. The problem is that while this is happening, everyone not directly involved is bored and usually wanking around. Whats the best way to streamline band practices so everyone is involved, without making everything really convoluted (if this makes sense)?
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

record demos of your songs, send them the music and what not and make them know their stuff when they come to practice. If they know the stuff by the time they come to practice, you can focus on tightening the actual sound instead of building without a foundation
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
have everyone work with each other separately with their roles and stuff like that if you understand what I'm saying. like bassist and one of the guitarists works on riffs and the drummer and vocals work on other things. that's what i do
Make a distinction between practice time, writing time and learning time.

Practice time is for practicing together, this is the time when everyone is together and practices the songs. If a problem arises in the songs you talk about it as a band and try again with fixes.

Writing time is the time you write songs. This is not done at practice time, this is done at home alone, or if there are one or two writers working together, they do this alone separate from the rest of the band. Where there is two or more writers, I call this "songwriting time". It is not at practice time.

Learning time involves actually learning songs. This is done mostly at home. With original songs it can take longer to get together as a group unless it is really easy. As someone else mentioned above, if the song writer records a demo of how they want the song to sound like they can give it to their bandmates to learn at home.

Your problem is that you're trying to fit everything into practice time. If the singer is writing down lyrics, there's no need for the rest of the band to be there. He should be doing this at home. The bassist could have shown you before the practice time so you could have a full song by practice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Efficient band practice?
That's a bit of a problem right there. It shouldn't be "practice". It should be a rehearsal.

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
There's five of us, and it's just hard to keep everyone focused. For example, I'll have to play something with just the singer so he gets the hang of new lyrics, or the bassist will show me something he's been working on and wants to make a song out of. The problem is that while this is happening, everyone not directly involved is bored and usually wanking around. Whats the best way to streamline band practices so everyone is involved, without making everything really convoluted (if this makes sense)?
Keep notes. Bring in early, those people who need to work on things individually. When the whole band arrives, play as a band. If something isn't working out because of a small issue, you can afford a short amount time to fix it. But if it takes more than a minute or two, deal with it at the end where everyone not involved is free to leave, or make notes and do it the beginning of the next.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.