Pit,

I'm currently in a class at the University of Maryland College Park called American Culture in the Information Age. For this class I have to interview/survey people that use online communities in the context of art and music and analyze their thoughts as such. I chose to do my project on Ultimate-Guitar, and so I humbly request that you pleasehelp a broheim out and answer the following questions briefly. If you record songs and/or are in a band, you're instantly qualified, and if you answer you'll receive an arbitrary grand internet prize of no cash value xD

The questions be:

What are the biggest negatives and positives of having your music on UG?
If you could change anything about UG, what would i tbe?
How many musicians have you met through UG? Do you keep in contact with them?
Do you receive critical feedback on your music from others through the site? If so, does the feedback affect your creative and production process?
Do you view UG as a way to promote your band's recordings or live shows?
Do you have any concerns with regards to your intellectual property rights with having your recordings on the internet?
How does the technology associated with Ultimate-Guitar affect your recording process?

At the very least this thread would be a great opportunity to discuss how the ability to receive nearly instantaneous critical feedback from perfect strangers from around the world has affected modern songwriting, or how the proliferation of digital recording technologies like the PodXT and such affect peoples' music in and of itself.

TL;DR - Fill out the questions above and I'll give you an e-hug.

If you reply then you're consenting to be included in my project and for me to use your opinions and remarks in my paper. I won't reproduce your username in my paper.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Nov 12, 2009,
"and if you answer you'll receive a grand prize (yet to be determined)."

A pitiful attempt to get more to help. I won't for that reason alone...
Quote by AlexRB
"and if you answer you'll receive a grand prize (yet to be determined)."

A pitiful attempt to get more to help. I won't for that reason alone...

Or maybe a thinly veiled reference to a lolstack or an e-cookie or something?

Don't you think that if I seriously wanted to offer an incentive I'd be specific and more straightforward about what it was?

Sorry I didn't think that would've been taken seriously. I'll clarify in my post.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Positives:
- It's great to get very quick feedback on recordings.
- The 'c4c' idea works out nicely
Negatives:
- Often you get very little or no feedback
- You can't verify how accurate feedback is, i.e. it comes from an inexperienced guitarist.

If you could change anything about UG, what would i be?
-More members in the original recordings and S&L forums
-No advertisements

How many musicians have you met through UG? Do you keep in contact with them?in
- None in person, haven't collaborated yet.

Do you receive critical feedback on your music from others through the site? If so, does the feedback affect your creative and production process?
- I sometimes take a few ideas here and there, but most of it is praise..

-Not personally, but many do so.

Do you have any concerns with regards to your intellectual property rights with having your recordings on the internet?
-Possibly if I was more popular on the internet, but either way the songs aren't uploaded to make money. The reward of nice feedback is as nice as money.

How does the technology associated with Ultimate-Guitar affect your recording process?
-I have done videos to accompany recordings, as they attract more attention

I'm feeling kind.

Indeed your kindness is appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Now I only need 9 more xD

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Positive
*People hear your stuff

Negative
*Most of the people on UG only give praise or they are complete asses and rate your stuff 1 star for making them look stupid in a thread

I would change it so the mods are more chill like at harmony central, and kick out all the 10 year olds on here

None

Nope

I don't put my music on UG and I would never use it on here

Nope

Nope

Now give me hug

-Positives: It's another outlet to share my music, can get help from other musicians
-Negatives: None worth mentioning.

If you could change anything about UG, what would it be?

-I'd like a drums forum and an electronic music forum...though previously I really wanted a vocals forum, and that happened! So the others may still be coming.

-Lots...I keep in regular contact with a few. They're valuable resources and friends for me.

-I haven't requested much. The one time I did request feedback, I didn't get any...

-Don't have a 'band', but yes, UG is a good way to promote music. Not so much shows, since there's only like 3 UGers that live in my town that I know of.

-Possibly, although I haven't uploaded anything original yet, so that's yet to be determined.

-Not sure what this question means. UG doesn't offer me recording technology. It offers information, and lots of it, so that is helpful.

Why are you better than TS?

-Because I wrote a paper on UG last month and I didn't ask the Pit for help.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I haven't put any on yet =\
The pear would be allowed :P
none
no
no :[
not really, when i add some music i don't care if others rip it
i don't know what you mean by technology but UG taught me how to scream properly :P

God i'm useless.
Quote by puertonicob
I haven't put any on yet =\
The pear would be allowed :P
none
no
no :[
not really, when i add some music i don't care if others rip it
i don't know what you mean by technology but UG taught me how to scream properly :P

God i'm useless.

Not at all. Thanks a bunch, and to everyone else who replied!

I just need two more people since I was able to source from a few people I know, and then this blasted thread can be locked for good.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N