I'm a freshman in college, and although I do have quite a bit of free time, it usually conflicts with the schedules of my other band mates.

We have
me- guitar
guitar
bass
drums
vocalist

and i was just wondering if anyone else has been in a band in college and had some success despite conflicting schedules?
Conflicting schedules can always be worked around if everyone wants to play. The key is to set a certain night, at a certain time, and that becomes part of everyone's schedule. If you think that college has a demanding schedule, wait until you have a full-time job and you'll realise how much free time you had.

College is a great place to meet other musos and make bands. It's also the last chance to "make it big" as such, if that is your aim.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's all about priorities, if everyone wants to play, they'll do as Alan said and make it part of their schedule. If you have to forego your weekly frat tricycle race, or not go out for the intramural curling team or not go to the saturday night kegger until after practice, then so be it. With five people, particularly freshmen, odds are pretty bad that someone has a night class every night of the week. Odds are also bad that everyone has full time jobs; part time jobs let you set your own hours, so you can all take the same night off each week.
Quote by AlanHB
Conflicting schedules can always be worked around if everyone wants to play. The key is to set a certain night, at a certain time, and that becomes part of everyone's schedule. If you think that college has a demanding schedule, wait until you have a full-time job and you'll realise how much free time you had.

College is a great place to meet other musos and make bands. It's also the last chance to "make it big" as such, if that is your aim.

To be fair, university is pretty all consuming, especially if you work part time to support yourself. Back when I was workin 35 hours a week, I was much, much more relaxed than now that I'm school and working 25 hours a week.

But the point is valid. You have to reserve time, even if it's on Saturday night and you'd rather be out picking up naive freshmen chicks, and make that the band time. No excuses, everybody shows up, every week (except maybe during finals).
Quote by koslack
To be fair, university is pretty all consuming, especially if you work part time to support yourself. Back when I was workin 35 hours a week, I was much, much more relaxed than now that I'm school and working 25 hours a week.

I guess that's because uni work can consume all hours if you let it. You can study as little or as much as you like, and if you fail an exam you are screwed. But in terms of actual hours you are required to be at uni, it is less than a full time job.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Time management is definitely the key. The only advice I have is to not push the band thing too hard right away. Give yourselves some time to get used to the new environment. Once you get a bit of a routine going, then ramp it up.

College is a great place to get a band going, and even if you don't make the "Big Time", you can have a very successful band.
Define successful... I was in a band in college, and it was an amazing time for even the handful of parties we played. It facilitated getting drunk (free beer for the band!) and getting laid ("OMG! You're in a band? That's cool!...").

Mission accomplished. I understood from the outset that I would never be good enough to be a professional musician.

Define what you want out of it, and then evaluate what you will have to put into it. In all honesty, there will be few times in your life like college where you will have the time for a band or see the tangible rewards of being in a band.

Go for it, but don't screw up the college part and get kicked out.

Ha, ha... I sound like a dad!
Have practice at night, usually everyone is done with school by 4 or 5. If they work then that's another story. Like everyone said it all depends on how much they are willing to try to come to practice. I try to be very flexible for my bands, even if it means running straight from one place to practice. Everyone has free time somewhere in their schedule, even if its only an hour. It just depends if they want to use that hour for watching tv or band practice. I'm in 3 bands right now, so I can tell you it does work.
Quote by koslack

But the point is valid. You have to reserve time, even if it's on Saturday night and you'd rather be out picking up naive freshmen chicks, and make that the band time. No excuses, everybody shows up, every week (except maybe during finals).

wait a minute... isn't that why we form bands in the first place?
Quote by AlanHB

i disagree with the last part. bands that make it big on average spend at least 5-10 years playing small gigs before they "make it big", so if college is their last chance that means they should have started playing when they were in middle school.
yeah... i'm torn on that one Jay...

UG tends to stick to the stats, if you will, where "making it big" is dominated by late teen/early 20's pop princesses and hip hop (not exclusively, but mainly), but i agree that there are many groups who "make it" (atleast on a semi-national level, most likely with some radio syndication) at older ages, pushing 30 even.
to me, it always seems the more successful bands in college are three pieces, because they don't have a whole lot of conflicting schedules, or there are more but they have the same classes or some members don't go to college.