A friend and I were discussing songs with piano parts in them... more specific, ones that only took one key.

Now, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but in rock, there are plenty of songs like this. It can be annoying, or extremely fitting. All I know is the pianist/keyboardist must be getting extremely bored.

OK, I'll start. The only thing is that the song must only have one note on piano the whole time. It doesn't have to be throughout the whole song, but it needs to be for most of the song. And it can't have more than one note, no matter what.

Are You Experienced?- Jimi Hendrix

Sundial-Wolfmother

Go With the Flow-Queens of the Stone Age

i hate that note!!!

i believe its in i wanna be your dog by the stooges, as well
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
"When The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash.
In the chorus theres just that really low note. it sounds like a bell at first but I think it really adds to the song.
..>!>
Xbox Live: boxyG
PSN: boxyG
myspace.com/boxyG
Quote by JayLacelle
its called a drone...if your gonna make fun of it at least use the right term

Actually, it's called ostinato; if you're gonna defend it, at least use the right term
Quote by randomthought9
there's this one part in "the new" by interpol that has a repeating piano note that's used pretty effectively.

If I recall correctly, they also use the 'single note' in the second verse of "Evil", also effectively. It's not throughout the whole song, but...

...yeah. Interpol rocks.
Quote by joemama9119
Actually, it's called ostinato; if you're gonna defend it, at least use the right term

Also known as a pedal point. >_>
Quote by Guitar0player
Lick my Love Pump in D minor.

Influenced by Mozart and Bach, not doubt. So kind of like Mach.
It gives stoners something to hold on to while the rest of the world could be in a blender.
That's why I didnt learn theory, in order not to sound like a douche :p
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by blue_strat
It gives stoners something to hold on to while the rest of the world could be in a blender.

Speaking of stoners...

Kyuss - Writhe

It's in the verses.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by Mudmen190

You're next, drummers.

God, imagine a song with just quarter notes played on the snare for 5 minutes.
🙈 🙉 🙊
All the songs I could think of have already been posted.

I remember Turbonegro having such a song, but since I'm not a fan I don't know wich one.
Quote by entity0009
God, imagine a song with just quarter notes played on the snare for 5 minutes.

Metallica did that already.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Guitar0player

you should still learn some theory though.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Guitar0player

you can learn theory and not be a douche. Theory just provides an outlet through which one's inner douchiness can be fully expressed.

to non douches, theory can actually teach you shit that you can USE instead of just making yourself seem better than everyone else.

As far as the repeated note thing, there's a cool little thing in classical music thats kinda the EXACT opposite (in the 20th century) where you go through all 12 tones on the keyboard and you cannot repeat a tone until all of em have been played (you can repeat like the same note to create rhythm or something, but you cannot come BACK to it until every other note has been played). Kinda turns writing into a puzzle, i think it'd be cool play shit like this (though listening to it would probably be TERRIBLE lol, at least if your not used to it)
the greatest album ever ended with a single piano note...

COLORS.
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Not OT, but there's a piano in the opening chord to A Hard Day's Night.
Quote by nmitchell076
As far as the repeated note thing, there's a cool little thing in classical music thats kinda the EXACT opposite (in the 20th century) where you go through all 12 tones on the keyboard and you cannot repeat a tone until all of em have been played (you can repeat like the same note to create rhythm or something, but you cannot come BACK to it until every other note has been played). Kinda turns writing into a puzzle, i think it'd be cool play shit like this (though listening to it would probably be TERRIBLE lol, at least if your not used to it)

And this is exactly why you should study theory so you can explain shit with fewer words and make sense.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Doctor Matthews

And this is exactly why you should study theory so you can explain shit with fewer words and make sense.

I know what it is theoretically called. It is a form of 12-tone Serialism, or dodecaphony. You give each of the 12 tones equal weight within a phrase in order to create tonal ambiguity by not allowing the listener to realize what is the "important" note. It also avoids letting the listener know what key it is in.

That a better explanation?
^It also sounds like utter arse.

On topic, the closest I can think of is Sentient 6 by Nevermore, which only uses two piano notes.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding

On topic, the closest I can think of is Sentient 6 by Nevermore, which only uses two piano notes.

you talking about the 12-tone stuff?

idk, I think it could be usefull in SOME things, like as a SECTION in big long piece in order to keep you guessing as to where the piece is going next, but your right, it would sound awful to be used for an entire piece, unless the point of the song was rhythmic, kinda like some Ginastera piano stuff, atonal, but its rhythmic and pulsing so it can make up for it.
Quote by nmitchell076
I know what it is theoretically called. It is a form of 12-tone Serialism, or dodecaphony. You give each of the 12 tones equal weight within a phrase in order to create tonal ambiguity by not allowing the listener to realize what is the "important" note. It also avoids letting the listener know what key it is in.

That a better explanation?

Yes.

But I'd rather not imagine a whole piece like that... good god.

But I am thinking possible epic -core breakdowns.
MATTERHORN
Quote by whalepudding

That's how you know it's real art.

I don't see how 12-tone composing is the "opposite" of using a drone.
the stooges - "i wanna be your dog"
the misfits - "die, die my darling"
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
the misfits - "die, die my darling"

That reminds me. Cough Cool - Misfits.
that thing where you use every note before you can use it again is called the 12 tone row, it is used to create an illusion of no set key
The Color of Tempo by Prefuse 73 kinda has that going for it near the second half of the song.

=D
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Quote by werty22
That reminds me. Cough Cool - Misfits.

And theme for a jackal. though i think the notes do change up a bit somewhere.
Cool thread, bro.

... Seriously, though... This is actually a cool thread. I'm not being sarcastic.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Ostinato is a repeated phrase, not necessarily the same note. 'Drone' is correct.

I was going to type this.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....