Quick question: I've been thinking about swapping out the pickups on at least one of my guitars. OK...having a pro swap them out for me. But I have questions before I start spending any money.

1) I was thinking about improving the pickups of a guitar that is already set up to do coil splitting, and I don't want to lose that capability. Can virtually any humbucker be used as replacements, or can only certain kinds be used for coil splitting? If its the latter, how do I tell before buying them?

2) I was thinking about having a guitar modified so that it can do coil splitting. I like the guitar- its very comfy and attractive. Is this easy & inexpensive or is it an expensive & destructive mod (and I should just buy a guitar with coil splitting)?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
its just a switch for the wires. it isn't overly destructive, all it would leave if it does not work is a small hole where the switch was mounted in the body\pickguard. and most pickups can support coil tapping, if you look at the wires coming off of a hummy you will find 4 different ones, thats hot and ground for each coil.
1) If it's a four conductor(wire) which most aftermarket pickups are then it can be coil taped

2) adding in a coil tap is pretty easy, all that is needed is a push pull pot and some wiring
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
When/If you do the coil split, get a push/pull pot. It will replace your volume pot and works exactly the same, plus has a built in switch to engage the split. You cant tell its there at all.
4 conductor humbuckers are quite common. your guitar might have them already. i like going to the schematics and wiring page on guitar-electronics.com for info on doing this stuff.
Thanks!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've done some upgrading and adjustment on my Jackson PS-1 with helps from Yus (yustech.blogspot.com) for wiring those electronic parts and pickups according to my specs.

As you see on the pics, I've installed 4 pickups, Seymour Duncan Distortion on bridge, Duncan Designed HB101 on mid and there's a switch (between volume & tone pots) to select neck pickup either Jackson original single coil or Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

I've also installed DiMarzio push/pull pot (for coil splitting) which works on the mid and neck pickups only.

The original tuning machines have been replaced with Gotoh tuning machines for more tuning stability
==============================
Quote by kraja549
I've done some upgrading and adjustment on my Jackson PS-1 with helps from Yus (yustech.blogspot.com) for wiring those electronic parts and pickups according to my specs.

As you see on the pics, I've installed 4 pickups, Seymour Duncan Distortion on bridge, Duncan Designed HB101 on mid and there's a switch (between volume & tone pots) to select neck pickup either Jackson original single coil or Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

I've also installed DiMarzio push/pull pot (for coil splitting) which works on the mid and neck pickups only.

The original tuning machines have been replaced with Gotoh tuning machines for more tuning stability
==============================
* link shiz removed by SYK *
No thanks, man. Take your ad links somewhere else.

*reported*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.