Does anybody have any advice to help me along my guitar journey of
learning the solos and riffs of Dave Mustaine????
Like how do you build up speed?
Yep
fall asleep with your arm draped over a chair and get some damaged nerve action going!

just so you know, you're probably not gonna get your answer here as im sure theres a stickied thread for this. you can start by picking a riff you like and playing it through slower than you ever think you should play it. do it until you can do it cleanly then up the tempo a little. repeat until you can cleanly play the riff at the speed of the song.

how long have you been playing? are you familiar with palm muting? do you own a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge? if not, it might feel really unsatisfying to try and play along with megadeth.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by elliottmi
Does anybody have any advice to help me along my guitar journey of
learning the solos and riffs of Dave Mustaine????
Like how do you build up speed?

Look around UG. There are TONNES of threads on how to build up speed.
There's no need to start another one.
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
it's the same as any other band. study their riffs, melodies, phrasing, rhythms, etc. examine how the different instruments sound together, use any theory you know to pick it apart piece by piece.
I just want to put this out there.

DON'T PLAY GUITAR LIKE DAVE MUSTAINE.

search for your own style.

Dave IMHO is a really shitty musician and arrogant human being. That's just my opinion though.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Quote by jkielq91
he uses various types of chords other than power chords

---2---
---3---

that one gives a more minor and dark sound

That's a major third interval...
it is a major third interval, but if your playing megadeth style music then it definitely puts the key as E minor.

so hes kinnnnnnnnnnda right?

thats assuming its the top 2 strings.
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
it is a major third interval, but if your playing megadeth style music then it definitely puts the key as E minor.

It depends on what's playing underneath. Sure, if the bass is playing an E, you're forming an E minor triad, but that on its own is as major as it comes. I assumed it was the bottom two strings (low E and A).

One interval or note pattern won't always give you a single sound in every context (or even two different contexts). That interval he posted could sound like a lot of things depending on context.
dave mustaine is a mastermind in guitar riffs... you should learn theory then forget it and youll have him..
if you wish to learn mustaine`s stuff,i say stick only to his riffs!
his soloing sucks ass,he should be arrested for abusing the pentatonic scale so many times,most of his solos just sound like a mess.
he wrote brilliant riffs,learn them.
Quote by timeconsumer09
It depends on what's playing underneath. Sure, if the bass is playing an E, you're forming an E minor triad, but that on its own is as major as it comes. I assumed it was the bottom two strings (low E and A).

One interval or note pattern won't always give you a single sound in every context (or even two different contexts). That interval he posted could sound like a lot of things depending on context.

man in megadeth its always chugging the open E, so i think what I wrote is pretty accurate.

and its not just whats underneath, its what comes before and after. which with megadeth is alot of palm muted E's
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`

i got that from a video done by dave who said it was a minor key

and to the guy who dissed daves solos------HOLY WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by jkielq91 at Nov 12, 2009,
I agree he has some nice solos,like holy wars and wake up dead.
but most of them are really just a pentatonic pendamonium!
I guess when you hear his work next to friedman`s soloing,he really looks bad..
but cant blame him,friedman is a brilliant guitarist.
Quote by becker89
if you wish to learn mustaine`s stuff,i say stick only to his riffs!
his soloing sucks ass,he should be arrested for abusing the pentatonic scale so many times,most of his solos just sound like a mess.
he wrote brilliant riffs,learn them.

What?!?!
Dave Mustaine is a brilliant lead guitarist and his solos are awesome. Mustaine wrote most of the solos on Kill 'em all which Kirk Hammet then stole and learnt note by note. Take the four horseman for example, Kirk plays the exact same solo at the end as Dave Mustaine does on the end of the Mechanix and the Mechanix was made first.

If you want someone who abuses pentatonics then you should be pointing your finger at Kirk Hammet, not to mention his abuse of wah-wah. Kirk Hammets soloing hasn't changed since he joined Metallica meanwhile I think Daves leads have progressed since Killing is my Business.. to alot better solos on United Abominations.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
What?!?!
Dave Mustaine is a brilliant lead guitarist and his solos are awesome. Mustaine wrote most of the solos on Kill 'em all which Kirk Hammet then stole and learnt note by note. Take the four horseman for example, Kirk plays the exact same solo at the end as Dave Mustaine does on the end of the Mechanix and the Mechanix was made first.

Some of his solos are good but he is massively overshadowed by everyother Deth guitarist. In my opinion his early Metallica solos were just him moving his fingers very fast. Kirk was told to use the structures of his solos but he actually improved them in my opinion by adding melody. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh4GQq4j0k thats a demo of seek and destroy with Dave playing, the solo is quite different
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by jkielq91
i got that from a video done by dave who said it was a minor key

and to the guy who dissed daves solos------HOLY WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if its on the g and b strings, then its a minor 3rd interval

any other 2 adjacent strings and its a major 3rd.

Dave probably doesn't know his shit, I can hear it in the music.
aNOMaly
Most well known players know shockingly little... But it shows that you don't need a complete command of theory to make decent music
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Most well known players know shockingly little... But it shows that you don't need a complete command of theory to make decent music

and those players are usually useless when it comes to creating music with other players and within other genre's.

And I would not say MOST well known players know little... there are a few good examples of players who learned how to play without actually understanding it (by virtue of the fact they practiced as much as they possibly could).

Lots of players really do know their theory, which I see when i read their articles in Guitar magazines.

But granted there are some good examples.
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
and those players are usually useless when it comes to creating music with other players and within other genre's.

but theyre especially great at creating their own style of music thats original

Quote by `NeXxuS`
Dave probably doesn't know his shit, I can hear it in the music.

oh im sure he knows, he just wants to sound original and out of the ordinary. he knows intervals and all the basics, he just doesnt know how to explain it very well

Usually yeah, but some just have extremely well trained or naturally developed ears such as Jeff Beck. He may not know what he's playing but he can certainly created music in any genre.
I recommend learning simple riffs such as the Four Horseman by Metallica then just keep building the speed until you have it up to Mechanix same freaking song just different tempos. I would then work on descending chromatic riffs such as Holy Wars...The Punishment Due which starts on a D, D#, E, A, A#, B, B, A#, A, A, G#, G, E5 power chord and continue building that up assuming you understand theory you know the riff, but you can look up the tab. Mustaine derives into jazz and blues alot. In fact most of his playing style was influenced by Malcolm and Angus Young. Learning the style of the AC/DC brothers will help alot on this topic. I also recommend working on various scales. Like when I play I happen to start with a metronome and occasionally change tempos while learning scales. This will help learning Friedman's work who was a better guitarist in essence of exoticness and cleaness. Mustaine particularly sticks in minor keys and he just speeds the songs up until its incredibly fast. Broderick was a giant style classical guitarist so to work with his style its just best to study all styles of theory and then be quick and clean. Friedman was the more emotional one so I recommend Friedman over Broderick however, Broderick is a very peaceful dude. If you look on youtube at chaos theory you can view his like calm self and he really does a great job as a guitarist however he lacks the emotion if you watch Broderick attempt Friedman's legendary Tornado of Souls solo he nails it, but it seems as though there is no emotion. A good idea is work in F# minor or Gb minor same key. This demonstrates the works in songs such as A tout le Monde, while it is a ballad, Friedmans theory work is intense. The complementation of the guitar work with the verse is incredible. Mustaine's solos are simple, Holy Wars, 13, and Sweating Bullets (He plays it live). Are really just in the same key, however he complements it with the backing riff which is almost always in a different key. The solo to Holy Wars, is fast but simple. You just have to work on quick alternate picking.
This thread is kind of old but here's my advice. Learn the E Minor scale and how to use it. Next learn and try to analyze some Megadeth songs and early Metallica. Learn to palm mute the low E-string as well. If you do this and practice stretching your fingers, you'll have an insight on how to play Megadeth songs and write Thrash Metal that way.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
@RonaldPoe:
Dude, this thread is over 3 years old. The TS is long gone and forgot about this.

I'm reporting this thread. If people are still posting in a thread this old, it needs to be closed. Ugh.