Page 1 of 2
Ok, why do bands have 18+ shows?

Is it the venue they choose or is it cause they dont want little dickheads running around being complete assholes?

More importantly:

Is there a way i can get into Between the Buried and Me next year if its an 18+ show and im 16. Its at Manning Bar? Id love to see them, and im gonna rage massive if i cant see them or i dont figure out a way in.
Could you go with a legal guardian (parent)? I think this is how it works in the U.S.... Sorry about the show, man! Good luck!
fake id? or get parents to call up the venue? i've heard it works
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by wamguy89
Could you go with a legal guardian (parent)? I think this is how it works in the U.S.... Sorry about the show, man! Good luck!

Not to sure? Id have to ring or email the ticket company probably
Quote by maiden03

Is it the venue they choose or is it cause they dont want little dickheads running around being complete assholes?

More importantly:

Is there a way i can get into Between the Buried and Me next year if its an 18+ show and im 16. Its at Manning Bar? Id love to see them, and im gonna rage massive if i cant see them or i dont figure out a way in.

Ever BEEN to the manning? Every time I've been there's been a security guard at bottom of the main entrance and the top of it and there's a couple on the balcony usually as well.

So get ragin' boy. I missed Behemoth repeatedly and missed a Morbid Angel show by three days (it was 18+ seriously three days before my 18th bday). You gotta live with it.
I am me. Live with it.
Or instead of getting pissy about about it, wait until they play next time.

They will be 18+ shows for good reasons; the main one is that some of the venues aren't legal to have minors (under 18s in this case) or serve them alcohol.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by wamguy89
Could you go with a legal guardian (parent)?

Yeah, it's always cool to go to death metal gigs with your parents.
My dad runs a club and he said a lot of places run 18+ shows because underage shows tend to be full of dick heads who climb on the roof and jump off scaffolding, and if they were to hurt themselves, the club is liable.

This is just a generalization.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Quote by DeAd-RiP
Ever BEEN to the manning? Every time I've been there's been a security guard at bottom of the main entrance and the top of it and there's a couple on the balcony usually as well.

So get ragin' boy. I missed Behemoth repeatedly and missed a Morbid Angel show by three days (it was 18+ seriously three days before my 18th bday). You gotta live with it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Quote by chaoticfables

better than not going at all
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Don't get too excited when you turn 18.

Then you have to deal with the "21+" shows. LAME!
I know most places in Melbourne don't let you in with a parent, but they're fairly light with making sure everyone is 18, if you look old enough and act natural as you walk in, the dudes will be cool, as Asthetics said, a lot of minors are total dicks, so if you act nice and don't draw attention to yourself you'll be fine....

And do what I did, grow a beard, worked like... 3/4 times so far.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Deether

exactly
this is even worse

i wouldn't even try getting drunk at a bar if i was there to see the band!
its as easy as marking my hands with X's
Quote by Deether

There is 21+ shows?

Ive never heard of them in Aus?

Quote by Jesstaa
I know most places in Melbourne don't let you in with a parent, but they're fairly light with making sure everyone is 18, if you look old enough and act natural as you walk in, the dudes will be cool, as Asthetics said, a lot of minors are total dicks, so if you act nice and don't draw attention to yourself you'll be fine....

And do what I did, grow a beard, worked like... 3/4 times so far.

I cant grow a beard, im not a very hairy guy :/ And the guy up a bit said security is tight.

Id wanna take my girlfriend too who probably loves them more than me, cause she got me into them, and shes 17 and looks younger than me, check my display pic on my profile and if i hadnt told you my age, or her age, judge me and tell me?
Last edited by maiden03 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by maiden03
There is 21+ shows?

No there's not. With any luck that prick won't be overly successful with having the drinking age changed. The name escapes me though...

Edit: She'd get in you wouldn't in all likelihood.
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by maiden03
There is 21+ shows?

I cant grow a beard, im not a very hairy guy :/ And the guy up a bit said security is tight.

Id wanna take my girlfriend too who probably loves them more than me, cause she got me into them, and shes 17 and looks younger than me, check my display pic on my profile and if i hadnt told you my age, or her age, judge me and tell me?

Hmm, depending on what clothes you wear and how you act, you might be able to get in, lemme find the pic of me from when I got into a bar, when like 10 people infront of me got asked for ID

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4818/lcb5db4c1618e57546c403f.jpg Dorky, but I don't look very old (I was 13 at the time). So give it a shot
And if you can't grow a beard, just glue pubes to your face or something. Lol
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Jesstaa
Hmm, depending on what clothes you wear and how you act, you might be able to get in, lemme find the pic of me from when I got into a bar, when like 10 people infront of me got asked for ID

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4818/lcb5db4c1618e57546c403f.jpg Dorky, but I don't look very old (I was 13 at the time). So give it a shot
And if you can't grow a beard, just glue pubes to your face or something. Lol

You really did look pretty old...
Last edited by maiden03 at Nov 11, 2009,
im missing opeth coz im not old enough , but hopefully BTBAM will be all ages at the corner
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
I read the title and was all set to complain about lack of nudity
"I don't claim you'll have a better time with Colt 45...but why take chances" - Billy Dee Williams
Quote by GArrigan
im missing opeth coz im not old enough , but hopefully BTBAM will be all ages at the corner

Weird, im seeing Opeth in about a week, but cant see BTBAM?

Quote by J.Rodier
I read the title and was all set to complain about lack of nudity

Awww, why dont you post some yourself?
Quote by maiden03
Weird, im seeing Opeth in about a week, but cant see BTBAM?

Awww, why dont you post some yourself?

I'll be at Opeth too. You must be absolutely kicking yourself about screamfest aye?
I am me. Live with it.
mainly cause of it being smaller venues it will be 18+ i know King tuts is usually 18+ but tbh thats rarely enforced from what i heard just act mature as your goin in the door and dont draw attention if you look old enough you will pull it off with ease.

Or pull the good old i live 30miles away and i forgot my id and ryhme of a birthdate from pre November 1991 :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
If your in australia,call up the venue,and let the owner know your coming with a legal gaurdian (doesn't have to be a parent!).
And I love to go to gigs with my dad.Last gig I went to with my dad,I was hanging out with the band and eating free of the ryder within 3 minutes of enterting the bar.And,yes,refraining from being a tosser helps.Tossers ruin it for everyone.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i went to several 16+ and 18+ shows when i was younger, i've never been asked for ID or to prove my age, just don't act like a **** and you'll be fine
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by chaoticfables

hey man I saw the Mars Volta with my dad.

and @ TS stop bitchin' because I can't go to Opeth because of the Palace's liquor licensing laws. Same with Porcupine Tree and I don't make a thread about it.

I'm 17.
Last edited by Hendrix_fan_14 at Nov 11, 2009,
18+ shows are quite rare in england, well the ones i look at anyway

EDIT: in fact the only one i can recall was skindred and i wasnt too bothered about seeing them anyway just thought it would be a laugh

and wont matter to me after today anymore!!!!! 18 tomorowwwwww
excited but off topic i apologise

Last edited by metal_al73 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Deether

not in australia you dont
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
hey man I saw the Mars Volta with my dad.

and @ TS stop bitchin' because I can't go to Opeth because of the Palace's liquor licensing laws. Same with Porcupine Tree and I don't make a thread about it.

I'm 17.

Sydney show FTW!
We're the only date out of the 3 that isn't 18+
I wasn't happy that Amon Amarth was 18+ though. Still, its more than understandable
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Dude, grow tits it works, i got kicked out of a show where my mates were playing because I got there before the bouncers were on the door but a guy came round and asked loads of people if they had ID, which I didn't.
However he skipped all the girls and just asked me and my mate. Bloody annoying.
We have 19+ here and that's it, but I think it's a good thing in a way. In terms of metal shows or whatever, you don't have the retarded 14 year old kids trying to mosh and just elbowing people in the face. For acoustic/folk shows or whatever, people just chill out and relax without having to put up with annoying kids yelling shit like "PLAY FREEBIRD" or showing off how cool they are by lighting up a joint. I'm 16 and I say 19+ ftw. Still sucks how many shows I've missed though.
Man, there aren't any places small enough around me to have 18+ shows. Everything is an arena or stadium, so so usually it's all ages.

And yeah, you don't look 18. Fake ID might work, though. When I say you don't look 18, I mean at first glance you aren't obviously old or anything.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by Ian hawkins
If your in australia,call up the venue,and let the owner know your coming with a legal gaurdian (doesn't have to be a parent!).

This does not, I repeat, NOT work. Venues will not just let you in because you have a parent. You obviously got amazingly lucky if that really worked.
Quote by maiden03

More importantly:

You're in Australia. So am I. Listen to my words, mate.

The reasoning behind 18+ shows is because it's risky, expensive and just plain not worth it 9 times out of 10 to make a show AA. The licencing commission has to sign off on it, which means the promoters and the venue have to prove they're putting more security on, containing the drinking areas and putting more money into the insurance. It costs a ton to bring bands out to tour and in the cases of a lot of metal, they can't risk making a show AA, in case they don't make their money back. There are other factors involved. Some venues plain out don't have the licence to make a show AA (in the case of most of the larger venues). And no. There is no way around it except for a fake ID and the security have gotten ridiculously good at picking them out of a crowd now, so I wouldn't bother.

Unfortunately, your options include: Going interstate to one of the AA shows (I believe Melbourne might be AA) and not going at all.

Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, when I was under 18, I missed a ridiculous large list of bands, and I only turned 18 this year so...
Not to be a jerk, but you probs should have gone to see them in Jan this year with Bleeding Through.
it has nothing to do with the band.

generally it is based on

i) the licence that the venue has; they may not be allowed to have under 18s
ii) the way the venue works financially; they may rely on people buying drinks. kids don't buy drinks
iii) their own preference; it is a hassle having under 18s and over the 18s, because you have to control who has alcohol and who doesn't
iv) kids can be a complete nuisance, and can ruin the experience for the other customers
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Page 1 of 2