These are the guitars I'm looking at. Keep in mind this is AUSTRALIAN we're talking about. Prices are very different.

Gibson LP Studio:
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=GILPSTUDEB

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Flame:
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=EPLPCSBFL

ESP EC 1000 (ESP is more suited for metal though, right? Read below.)
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=ESPLEC1000ASB

The price of the studio is the absolute max I can afford. Going back to school next year and by my calculations I'll have about $2500 in the bank. I do have a life outside of guitar so that extra $500 is a must for me so $2000 price limit!

I need a fairly versitile guitar. From clean-ish to hard rock and all things in between. THe problem my other guitar has is that it can do metal fairly well and cleans fairly well but nothing in between so this guitar is for everything in the middle.

Any other guitars you guys think I should try out?
Quote by Kyle1029384756
These are the guitars I'm looking at. Keep in mind this is AUSTRALIAN we're talking about. Prices are very different.

Gibson LP Studio:
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=GILPSTUDEB

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Flame:

ESP EC 1000 (ESP is more suited for metal though, right? Read below.)
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=ESPLEC1000ASB

The price of the studio is the absolute max I can afford. Going back to school next year and by my calculations I'll have about $2500 in the bank. I do have a life outside of guitar so that extra $500 is a must for me so $2000 price limit!

I need a fairly versitile guitar. From clean-ish to hard rock and all things in between. THe problem my other guitar has is that it can do metal fairly well and cleans fairly well but nothing in between so this guitar is for everything in the middle.

Any other guitars you guys think I should try out?

EC-1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Drapte
EC-1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Aren't ESP known for their metal guitars though? i'll give it a try but I don't want anything that's geared towards metal.
Quote by Kyle1029384756
Aren't ESP known for their metal guitars though? i'll give it a try but I don't want anything that's geared towards metal.

The Ec-1000 has a model with SD JB/59 pups in it. Perfect for what you want.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by Kyle1029384756

Well they have a huge fan base with regards to the metal crowd but obviously their guitars can pretty much do anything granted your rig can allow for it. That and it's all in the guitarist.

Anyway that LTD would do everything you want but if you want the thick LP tone you're better off getting a LP.
Well you can't try out a custom build but that needn't be a problem. Tim at TC Ellis Guitars can build what you want around his basic Series 2 Les Paul. He's done one for Phil of Motorhead who loves it so much it is now his first choice stage guitar and he's commissioned a Strat to match. In fact, Tim has a batch of Les Pauls in production that have Maple necks and Rosewood boards. The prototype was fitted with BKP Abraxas pups which might suit your 'in-between' sounds very nicely.
Quality wise, a friend of mine recently bought a sort of PRS type hollow body from him and had SD JB/59 pups in it. Here's his youtube demo so its not a pro job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNVdj-StWC0&feature=player_embedded
Would you believe that in a £320 guitar? I'm having a Les Paul in the new year and guess who is making it. Mine's having some very special details and will be around £650, so that's still well within your price even with shipping.

Or you could compromise with a cheapo Gibson or Epiphone.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Well the LP tone is really what I'm after.
would I be better off getting the nice epiphone (The 'best' Epi LP available to me) or the Gibson Studio (The 'best' Gibson available to me)

Obviously with the Gibson you get the "It's a fu*king Gibson " factor but the Epi is cheaper and will probably do waht I need anyway. I'll have to try them but what do you guys think?

To the guy above: I can't buy online.
perhaps you'd be inclined to look into Tokai or even Agile. I hear pretty good things about them, maybe you could go used?? I remember seeing a Lawsuit Tokai on Gumtree.com, would've grabbed it myself but I'm strapped for cash.

good luck!
DUDE.....Les Pauls are seriously over priced down here.

You can get a Ormsby Guitar fro just a little over 2200

If u have ever seen The Twins on GB&C they both sold for $2300 at Mega Music in Perth and they sound absolutely amazing through a big ol' tube amp

Plus aboot a hundred or so for freight u can get handmade guitar for just a little over ur budget. Trust me its worth it compared to those shitty new gibsons or an epiphone
Quote by TheBackHouse
DUDE.....Les Pauls are seriously over priced down here.

You can get a Ormsby Guitar fro just a little over 2200

If u have ever seen The Twins on GB&C they both sold for $2300 at Mega Music in Perth and they sound absolutely amazing through a big ol' tube amp

Plus aboot a hundred or so for freight u can get handmade guitar for just a little over ur budget. Trust me its worth it compared to those shitty new gibsons or an epiphone

DUDE, I never thought of Ormsby!

EDIT: About $2400 for the cheapest possible custom Ormsby LP

EDIT2: Simply too expensive... I'll have to save a bit more.
Last edited by Kyle1029384756 at Nov 11, 2009,
Since you live in australia have you considered a maton ms2000.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Kyle1029384756
DUDE, I never thought of Ormsby!

EDIT: About $2400 for the cheapest possible custom Ormsby LP

EDIT2: Simply too expensive... I'll have to save a bit more.

You checked out any Japanese Tokai's? Concept music have a model on their site so that might be worth it too follow up and see what they play like compared to the real thing.
get the EC-1000. this model is versatile because it got the seymour duncan jb/59. dont get the other ESPs with EMGS cuz they're not versatile.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Mate, try a Les Paul Special (Faded) with humbuckers.
Has the same 490R/498T pickups as the Les Paul Standard & custom. Difference being it's mahogany body but no maple top or binding.
I got mine on sale from Billy Hydes on sale for $1700 brand new. Any Gibson stockist in Oz can order one. I even saw one on ebay this week.
The difference in tone between mine & my bandmates LP Custom is minimal. Crank the gain on the Marshall and the difference is even less. The other difference is it has the slimmer 60's neck as opposed to the fatter 50's neck on the Studio. I have an ESP & a Gibson Flying V as well. The Les Paul shites on the ESP, but the Flying V is actually the pick of all of them.

Hope that helps mate.
Perhaps an Epiphone Elitist/Elite model? USA parts and specs, higher quality wood, and supposedly fantastic build quality to rival Gibby Standards, and besting Studios
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I think I'll look at the higher end epiphones then. Gibson and Ormsby are just too expensive with buying the girlfriend a chrissy present and all that stuff. Plus I wouldn't mind looking into some recording stuff too with the money I save.

These two caught my interest.
The custom flame:

And the Ultra2
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=EPLPUIIMIDEB
Last edited by Kyle1029384756 at Nov 12, 2009,
Ultra II!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones