So I have a 1986 Jcm 800 4210 50 watt combo 1x12. Great condition and an amazing amp. I love its response and i get some great sounds out of it. But im in search of the ultimate tone and don't believe I am there yet. I want longer sustain and more smooth searing distortion, but I want it to be fat and have more bottom end. I know cab and speakers make a difference. But what about pedals or mods? I play it through a Gibson Explorer. Here is a sound i want. Mix Paul Rogers (bad company) with Warren Haynes. And I want some real creamy fuzz, and my BIg Muff is a little too muddy. A fuzz pedal recommendation also? I just think mine is lacking sustain and bottom end right now. Throw me some ideas, sound clips, pedals, mods. Jam on brothas {and sisters if you can help }
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210
Next up: a fully customized Warmoth
is it a russian big muff? from my experiences, the russian big muff really lacks balls. I liked some of the tones, but it didn't have enough punch for my tastes. The danelectro cool cat fuzz is really good. I was really surprised when I got it. Lots and lots of bottom end (which of course you can dial out if you want), sustain and it cuts really well. It's also dirt cheap. I also run a fulltone OCD in front of it and it sounds great for leads. it sounds like you could use some sort of overdrive with extra mids to fatten up your fuzz and/or distortion sound.

another point I want to make is that you might be missing a lot of bottom end because of the fact that you are playing through a 1x12 combo. Try and borrow someone's cab to see how your amp sounds.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
get a compression/sustain pedal, can grab them for around $120 these days, maybe look into getting a zakk wylde overdrive too, they seem to have GREAT sustain
" I want longer sustain and more smooth searing distortion, but I want it to be fat and have more bottom end."

Sounds like you want an ENGL
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Replace V1B's cathode with a 820R resistor and a 330mF electrolytic cap (same as V1A's cathode). Then replace the 0.002mF coupling cap coming off V1B's plate with a 0.022mF cap.

Try that for starters...
how much will mods like that run me? and i have a boss super overdrive right now and i find it to be very muddy. ill check out the ocd's but is a keeley mod on my pedal a better bet ive heard good things.
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210
end citizen is see your from oklahoma, if your ever in Boulder, CO help me do this mod!
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210
I'm not planning on taking a trip any time soon, but I would be glad to otherwise.

It's not that complicated to do, actually. You're just changing 5 parts. The grand total should not be any more than $20 including shipping.

The hard part (if you're not familiar with amp circuits) is locating the parts. If you can replace parts in a pedal, you can do it in an amp. You just have to be smart about it and take your time.

If you're seriously considering this, let me know. I'll try to safely help you through it.

If you have no soldering experience, though--Get some! before you attempt to modify this amp.
i have some soldering experience and live in a house with two electrical engineers. (we all go to CU) so hopefully they could help me. Anticipate a message form me I'm going to look into this. What sonic changes will this give to the amp?
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210
i don't have a low only a single input. But if it is is adding more bass and more gain it sounds like what I'm looking for. Tube recommendations? I swapped the El34s for some Kt88's just to switch it up but i think i'm going back.
Gibson Explorer

Steve Vai Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Super Overdrive
Big Muff (american)
Small Clone
Super Octave
Sonic Stomp

1986 Jcm-800 4210