Well been looking at updating my amp to something more powerful and i think i can push my parents budget to maybe £500 as i have been dropping hints that i might need a gigging rig in the future and that it would be a good investment also my dads pretty keen on the idea of me giggin and i have been running things past him with technical lingo and he suddenly gets impressed LMAO

Anyway looking at an Ashdown MAG300 head and a Laney 4x10 cab (8ohm) anyone got any clues i know both make great quality gear and i know i could try this rig out on literally the drop of a hat this weekend if things all are over by friday (family problem).

the MAG
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=05110915342328

the laney 4x10
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=06020811585519

the speakers as custom celestion and its got a switchable horn and im pretty sure celestion's are darker speakers and i mainl play rock so it would be cool to have a darker sound.

I know the guys in guitarguitar will help me out on the other various things like the cables for the head to the cab etc.

Anyone think this could be a good combo i know i will not pull as much power from the head but its a good start tho.

Also thanks for all the help in advance. i know this is my 2nd topic bout this stuff but since this is a half stack i wanna make double sure what im getting myself into.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
As you probably get, it ain't the top of the line gear, but it will do the job. I personly dont like the MAG, but you can get some nice tones out of it. this rig will be good enough for your first gigs n stuff!
Quote by SoulSlaughter
As you probably get, it ain't the top of the line gear, but it will do the job. I personly dont like the MAG, but you can get some nice tones out of it. this rig will be good enough for your first gigs n stuff!

still good quality gear, i know Mark from Ash had this amp when i seen em live. but it was all Ashdown in the gear sense.I want the Laney cab cause it effectively gives me my 2 fav amp brands in a way xD

If i could i would buy an Ampeg SVT and fridge in a hearbeat
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
From what i know, the laney RB series are supposed to be if poor build quality, but i haven't tried them personally, so im not too sure.

I would also drop a little bit more money on the head, to get a more powerful one, and then get a cab that will handle the wattage, and upgrade to something better when you get the chance.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
From what i know, the laney RB series are supposed to be if poor build quality, but i haven't tried them personally, so im not too sure.

I would also drop a little bit more money on the head, to get a more powerful one, and then get a cab that will handle the wattage, and upgrade to something better when you get the chance.

nah i have the RB1 and the build quality is like a tank good plywood chassis with carpet covering, and metal grill and a 10" speaker (im sure) and its good quality speaker aswell imo never ever had a problem with it which is why it kinda made me look into the RB cab.As if im buying an amp im wanting it there so i can go over it all im not keen on buying things from an internet store.

And the ashdown head i just love for its design and simplicity also mainly cause it will get me much closer to my desired tone.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by nesveikuolis
Why don't you want to get the Ashdown 4x10" ? I have the MAG300 and the MAG410 and it's incredible

i could see the store but i might go with thomann if i do that only downer is i have a really bad problem i get really well paranoid whenever i buy anything from the net and waiting on delivery and the way things are right now its not a good idea to get things delivered as theres no-one in all the time nand both our neighbours are nosey bastards and would open the packaging

im toying between this and a new bass right now aswell.And MAG410 speakers tend to be a fair bit more expensive in these parts

besides on specs checks the ashdown cabs are 8ohm aswell.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Last edited by Razgriz_101 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Razgriz_101
i could see the store but i might go with thomann if i do that only downer is i have a really bad problem i get really well paranoid whenever i buy anything from the net and waiting on delivery and the way things are right now its not a good idea to get things delivered as theres no-one in all the time nand both our neighbours are nosey bastards and would open the packaging

im toying between this and a new bass right now aswell.And MAG410 speakers tend to be a fair bit more expensive in these parts

besides on specs checks the ashdown cabs are 8ohm aswell.

Well... When I bought my rig, I was torn between a Laney 4x10 and an Ashdown 2x10 cab, just because I lacked money at the time, but I managed to save 100eu extra cash, and decided to go with the ashdown 4x10
Quote by nesveikuolis
Well... When I bought my rig, I was torn between a Laney 4x10 and an Ashdown 2x10 cab, just because I lacked money at the time, but I managed to save 100eu extra cash, and decided to go with the ashdown 4x10

its more the fact its for my christmas i cant stretch the set out budget or my mum and dad will flip cause i only get the amp and thats it bugger all else.Even tho they are now saying oh maybe now meaning i will need to look for a combos with the same power under £300 as my dads now not getting over time and works kinda dried up
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
its more the fact its for my christmas i cant stretch the set out budget or my mum and dad will flip cause i only get the amp and thats it bugger all else.Even tho they are now saying oh maybe now meaning i will need to look for a combos with the same power under £300 as my dads now not getting over time and works kinda dried up

Understandable I was just inquiring Oh and by the way, better get a 2x10" with the tone you love, rather than a 4x10" that you don't love as much IMHO.
Quote by nesveikuolis
Understandable I was just inquiring Oh and by the way, better get a 2x10" with the tone you love, rather than a 4x10" that you don't love as much IMHO.

i was talkin to a guy on my college course on MSN who says he thinks a guy he knows is selling a 2x10 combo he thinks its an Ashdown one he said he would enquire and i think i could easily talk my parents into it hopefully even tho they are like OMG why are you going used i just say saves monies and hopefully it shuts em up
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear

DON'T DIS THE LANEY'S , ESPECIALLY AS "YOU'VE NOT TRIED THEM" ..?FROM MY EXPERIENCE THERE'S NO BETTER ALL ROUND BASS AMPS. I WORE OUT A LOT OF SHOE LEATHER COMPARING THEM ALL. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. BUT, FOR GOD'S SAKE, TRY ONE.
TONE DEFFMAN
Their both good. You can get an ashdown mag evo1 600 of soundslive.co.uk for 229. Which is dirt cheap.
Also the ashdown 300 and 4x10 bundle on thomann is less then 500 so easily accessible if your budget is firm.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h_bundle.htm
Its easier to stick brands a lot of the time, Ashdown make a good solid reliable amp, so i would go with that if you wanted and add a 2x10 or another 4x10 when ever you might need it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul