i JUST replaced tubes in my peavey xxx a few days ago and this is where shit hits the fan.

i go up to my friends house which is roughly an hour away to play..and i brought everything but my head to speaker cable so i consider using the instrument cable which I know is wrong it just looks wrong anyway.. my friend says do it so my sheep ass does it and i turn the volume up and i play for a few moments and boom it dies. it doesn't even light up when i switch it on.... is it gone? I'm so ****ing sick of dealing with this amp haha.
If you used instrument cable that could have done it...but I doubt it since you only did it once. But using an instrument cable can kill your output transformer.

So when you say 'it doesn't light up'....do you mean the tubes don't light up, or the amp doesn't even come on? (i.e. the status light on the front doesn't come on). If this is the case...it sounds like a fuse.

EDIT: did you rebias when you put the new tubes in?
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 11, 2009,
Replace the fuse. Did you put el34 or 6l6 tubes in?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Lmfao, f---ing hilarious.

BTW, don't blame [ab]user error for the amps failure.
Last edited by Thurisaz at Nov 12, 2009,
Replace the fuse with it plugged in and turned on to make sure you get the right fuse replaced...
If the fuse has blown that usually means there is a problem with the power tubes. So replace the fuse and hope it doesn't blow again, if it does you probably have a bigger problem.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Thurisaz
Replace the fuse with it plugged in and turned on to make sure you get the right fuse replaced...

not sure if you're being serious or not, but messing with electronics with it plugged in, power switch on is generally a bad idea. If it does have more than one fuse, it only takes a couple seconds to swap it out, then plug it in and see if it fixed it. if not put original back in and swap the other one(s) until you either find the culprit, or eliminate the fuse as the problem. I'm pretty sure my amp has only one fuse, and I believe most are made this way as well, but I could be wrong on that.

not biasing your tubes (if your amp is not fixed bias) would make it sound bad, but it's highly unlikely that it would kill the head... again, not my area of expertise, as my amp is fixed, so maybe your amp has a "meltdown" setting on the bias adjustment.

If a fuse swap doesn't fix it, maybe check all your tubes one at a time against a known good tube... if that doesn't do the trick I would venture to say that a trip to an amp tech is in your near future.

EDIT: didn't see your question about how to change the fuse...

most amps that are fused will have a small plastic "knob" looking deal on the back, probably near the power cord, and there will usually be white lettering encircling it describing the type of fuse you need. (might say something like "20a slo blow") If my memory serves me, you just remove that plastic piece, and the fuse will be held inside. I would suggest consulting the manual if you have it. I'm sure peavey has it in .pdf form on their website if you don't.

hope this helps.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Nov 12, 2009,
It isn't the bias, Peavey biases cold as can be. They do that for this reason lol
Check fuses.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
a little more info on the fuse for you....

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/03587590_8035.pdf

that's a link to peavey's manual page... it's a different amp, but i think the panel layout is the same, and the fuse replacement instructions will be the same. page 7 shows the panel and location of the fuse, etc.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
you probably blew a fuse, just hope you didn't fry the tubes or the transformer before the fuse went, the fuse is supposed to burn out before anything else can get damaged, but it doesn't always work out that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Its prolly just a fuse, but in may be an internal fuse, instead of the power input fuse which is tipically found on the outside near the power plug.

I've used a instrument cable with my valveking 112 head, and all it did was damage the soder points in the tips of the instrument cable. But I was dumb, and it was a high quality 18 ft cable. Still works, but I'm afraid of losing the tip inside of my jacks. lol

I doubt you fried your output transformer, those things are pertty hard to kill. Just check over all your fuses and mabey your resistors, those fry if your amp cant get the load out well enough say through a crappy instrumnet cable.