I sit there with an idea for a song, start to write a few lines, then end up throwing it away due to not liking what I write, and because I lose faith in the idea to begin with... Then I come up with another one and keep repeating the same cycle.

It just feels really gay to sit there writting lyrics/poems. I have no problem making up the music component, and I am even starting to write the music down/record it... But I just can not seem to get past the beginning stages of writting the lyrics, especially if they are about touchy feely stuff.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can over come this so I can get something on paper I am actually proud of someday before I am dead?

Thank you for your time.
It's not how you pick your nose ... It's where you put the booger!

Frog...
Don't second guess yourself, just keep writing and dont give a shit about what you are writing until after you think it's done. Then you can decide if it's good enough or not, and if it's not, stick it in a folder somewhere labeled "lyrics". That way you'll have it for reference later on, or you may even change your thoughts about it. Songwriting isnt always about pleasing other people, if that's what your problem is. Write something you truly like, without worrying about what other people think.

If that doesn't float your boat, there's always instrumental music...
Original post from Shea Butta:Don't second guess yourself, just keep writing and dont give a shit about what you are writing until after you think it's done. Then you can decide if it's good enough or not, and if it's not, stick it in a folder somewhere labeled "lyrics".

don't just throw it away. songwriting comes with practice, as do lyric writing. so practice until you drop
Keep a book, your judging yourself 2hard, if you keep a book and go back over stuff you might copy and paste stuff here and there, its hard to sit down and write lyrics for a song straight off, you need to leave it and come back some bits will be good and worth keeping other bit worth forgetting and prob even hiding from the public,

the orginal version of 'stairway' prob wasn't written in one go and i'm sure it has a few verses that were chopped out cause they were rubbish,

best of luck with the writing
I don't have a special idea or advice on how to overcome that,but I'll tell u what I do and how I manage to write lyrics. First of all, I take my guitar and play the chords of my "new song" and then I try to hum at the rhythm of the melody. Then,eventually,some words just pop out of my mouth,so I write them down and try to build on from there. So far this really got me writing some pretty good stuff,and people seem to like it, too! Hope this "method" helps,cheers!
Keep writing. We don't always write the best stuff all the time, but don't ever throw anything out you've written. You may come back to it in a week and come up with the coolest idea.

Try to focus your writing on the story. Figure out what the title and the main idead of your track is going to be. Explain why what you title means to you and write it down.

No write out what you are going to need to portray in your verses to bring you to your chorus. What emotions should you be conveying, what plot needs to develop.

Then once you have that figured out, go back and try to write the lyrics. It's easier when you have a plan in front of you.
This belongs in the Techniques sub-forum, not here. I'll move this there, but please read the rules so that you know what goes where in the future.

Thanks.

EDIT: moved.
Your first draft is always going to be garbage. That's why you keep what you've written so that you can go back and completely change it later. Nothing wrong with throwing a piece out, but you can't do it all the time.

If the problem comes when you write about touchy/feely stuff, then write about something else. Just because you have a lot of good ideas, it doesn't mean you have a lot of good ideas that you can write about. You need to find the ones that are both good, and can make it to paper. The better you get as a writer, the wider range of things you'll be able to write about. Most people discovering their own writing style, write about the same topic for a dozen songs or so before they've learned enough to move into something else.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 11, 2009,