Page 1 of 2
So, been reading over random threads about "your top 10 for 200_" and thinking about all the stuff that has influenced metal on the years. Good albums that brought bands out, terrible albums that ruined bands, members joining, leaving, it all forms into opinions about various bands, scenes and music.

If anyone understands what I mean, please follow along.

So, I'm asking for your opinions. What events happened that influenced your opinions. Albums, shows, movements, members, whatever.

2008:
Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King. I think we can all agree that this pretty much ruined Cryptopsy's reputation in the metal scene. Their latest tours have all been with mostly other deathcore bands and on most of the tours, they're playing underneath said deathcore bands. No matter how many fans they hoped to win with that album, they lost their core support.

The Faceless - Planetary Duality. This pretty much made The Faceless explode in the metal scene. They crossed the breakdown encrusted thin x'd up line and made it into "real" metal. The influence of band's such as Cynic and Meshuggah, adding a spacey, alien feel to an album that was centred around things spacey and alien. They started playing much more tours with higher up bands, and are now at a level where they are co-heading an entire tour with Dying Fetus. This band built their foundation in the core scene and then made the clean jump over with one album.

I think you guys can see where I'm going with this
Anyone else got opinions on this shit?
Like...

Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor
I fell in love with many parts of this album even though it reflects very little of their "prime." I think it's distancing from their old fans, but I myself don't care. I think it has great material in it, albeit laced with moments of silliness. I think it shows that black metal doesn't have to be this gimmicky, grim, and srs music. I'm still a fan because KPN = KPN and still know how to write good songs that aren't pure black metal with guitar solos.

tl;dr Peste Noire is still awesome
Philosophy > Life
Hmm. I predict a load of people sticking a load of really obscure stuff which slightly changed a movement that no-one's ever heard of. Let's all agree not to do that, methinks.

I'll keep it seriously obvious.

2001 - Opeth releases Blackwater Park

Though I'm not much of a fan of the band these days, this was massive when it came out, and people immediately latched on and started listening to the previous albums if they hadn't heard them before. Turned Opeth into one of the biggest bands in metal.

2002 - Meshuggah releases Nothing

Groundbreaking; though the 'shuggah had played around with polymetrics long before, this was when the 8 strings kicked in, the tempos slowed down, and they really found their feet. It's defined their career from that point on, and it was something truly original and new.

*rant on how almost every band that declare Meshuggah as a big influence is shit*

2005 - JFAC releases Doom

Though I could well be wrong, I always thought this was the moment deathcore really started to make it big; massively popular, and depending on who you talk to, massively shit, but either way massively influential.

As I said... very very obvious stuff.
I'll go out on a limb and say that Opeth's Watershed has made a splash. It didn't leave anyone without an opinion, or no one that I know anyway.

Vitek's passing and the fact that Decapitated are still a band would probably be worth a mention.

webbtje has a good list, fair suggestions.

I think 2009 is a notable year for having so much good material from new and established bands. It feels like the genre revitalised itself somewhat.

I'm finding it hard to think of members joining/leaving that really influenced anything for me, but that's because it's bloody late. Good thread though, I'll be back to it later.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I think the fact that Meshuggah's "Catch 33" has pretty much created the entire generation of Djent is a significant fact, as terrible as that fact is.
2001 - Chuck Schuldiner's passing

Another tragic moment in death metal history..A shame someone who's been in death metal for that long, dies. I don't really care for people who like to degrade Chuck because they don't like his music, show some respect. Without him, there would be 7 great albums missing from our collections...and one Control Denied album.

2004 - Dimebag Darrel ceases to breathe

I started getting into Pantera after his death, but I didn't find out he had even died until after I already listened to Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power...terrible thing to happen such a great spirit. I know people look down on him, but he was a great guitarist, and will always be one of my idols.

2006 - Jon Nodtvoidt's Suicide

I hated to hear that it happened, but it's how things happen in the MLO. Truly tragic, but he did what he came to do on earth, so I still find him to be an idol as well. Storm of the Light's Bane, The Somberlain, even Reinkaos was great.

2008-Acid Witch - Witchtanic Hellucinations

Now, this album was truly the epitome of a death/down-tempo/doomy album, with some damn trippy reverb thrown in there. This is frankly one of my favourite albums from 2008 by far, it was really a great year in metal, and this album made me love this band.

2009 - Manitou breaking up

It was really tragic to hear of such a sweet band to break up. That's really about it, I wish it didn't happen. I would have loved to see them live.
1999- Necrophagist releases Onset of Putrefaction

Well, this basically started the whole tech-death movement. It had existed before, but with few bands. Now hearing about a new techdeath band is daily business, and most of them take a huge influence from Necrophagist (ie they are wank). Not my type of music, and I find this album to be incredibly boring, but it's no doubt one of the most influential albums of all time, influencing Death Metal, Progressive Metal, and Deathcore alike.
Quote by severed-metal

2006 - Jon Nodtvoidt's Suicide

I hated to hear that it happened, but it's how things happen in the MLO. Truly tragic, but he did what he came to do on earth, so I still find him to be an idol as well. Storm of the Light's Bane, The Somberlain, even Reinkaos was great.

I remember reading this on UG and going through and reading all about him because I was never a fan of Dissection. Was really moved by his whole approach to life.
Well, he was a good figure in metal to look up to. He gets a lot of flack for the murder...but, he really shouldn't. I think that shouldn't be his crowning achievement, and what he's remembered for...despite him only assisting anyways.
Megadeth releases "The System Has Failed"
I wasn't into Megadeth at the time of this release. And Mustaine did plan to make it a solo realease. And all the members 'cept Mustaine aren't credited on the next Megadeth release. But I still think it's a remarkable return for such an influential musician, who was told and feared he never could play guitar again.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
^ It was only a matter of time...

Now where's the Metallicer fanboys and St. Anger rants?
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
^ It was only a matter of time...

Now where's the Metallicer fanboys and St. Anger rants?

Because some people constantly associate the two bands, does that mean they never should be mentioned outside their own threads?
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Senor Kristian
Because some people constantly associate the two bands, does that mean they never should be mentioned outside their own threads?

Not at all.

I just find it humorous that I foresaw that album being reviewed here shortly.

Next will be some Metallica ones, then Slayer's WPB...
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
Not at all.

I just find it humorous that I foresaw that album being reviewed here shortly.

Next will be some Metallica ones, then Slayer's WPB...

Fair enough. But while being a member on UG I haven't seen the album mentioned once (not that I was looking very well) so I thought why not? :P

It was now my intention to get back on topic, but since I only could think of obvious releases/events, I'll leave that to the elites

EDIT: OH! Got one!

Devin Townsend disbands Strapping Young Lad

- Self-explanatory
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at Nov 11, 2009,
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
I am in no mood to write a review right now as I am completely drained after doing an hour of poetry. So, I will only say that this album was awesome. Maiden ****ing own.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Damn, St. Anger is so heavy.. I can't listen to it for more than five minutes, that's how heavy it is.
ooh another one

Rob Halford rejoins Priest - 2004
'nuff said.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Cynic reunite and release Traced in Air

We all know Cynic's history, about how they released a groundbreaking album in Focus and then just disbanded, leaving a short but powerful mark on the metal genre. For a band like this to reunite and release an album over a decade later wouldn't really mean much, except that the album was really, really good. They more or less picked up right where they left off with Focus, and even better is that they plan to release more material.
Can't come up with anything that hasn't already been said, though there is one thing:

2000:
Iron Maiden releases Brave New World
Reunited with their "true" singer it really was a comeback album, and made them "big" again.
Death release Scream Bloody Gore in 1987

This album pretty much inspired what mixing death metal and thrash elements can do. Argued by many to be the first TRUE Death Metal album, Death basically made a landmark by helping to invent this genre and with the release of this album, it influenced many and it saw the first real form of "Brutality" really displayed in the music.

EDIT: Damn it... I'll write something on 2009 when I get home, my bad.
I drink your milkshake.
Last edited by SeveredSurvival at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by MoogleRancha
Like...

Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor
I fell in love with many parts of this album even though it reflects very little of their "prime." I think it's distancing from their old fans, but I myself don't care. I think it has great material in it, albeit laced with moments of silliness. I think it shows that black metal doesn't have to be this gimmicky, grim, and srs music. I'm still a fan because KPN = KPN and still know how to write good songs that aren't pure black metal with guitar solos.

tl;dr Peste Noire is still awesome

That was the first album I've heard from them, so I don't give a shit about how good their other stuff is, and it is honestly the worst album I've ever heard.
Pretty sure it was last year or 07, when Cynic, Atheist, Carcass, At the Gates, and Pestilence all reunited to tour, granted I didn't get to see any of them I still thought it was a landmark in metal to have all of this highly influential bands coming together again.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Wintersun 2004 - Wintersun

Jari release the greatest album to ever grace the world of metal
and redefines melodic death metal
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
2006 - Dragonforce released Inhuman Rampage.
It brought power metal to the mainstream
Quote by surya22
2006 - Dragonforce released Inhuman Rampage.
It brought power metal to the mainstream

That just happened because of guitar hero.
Quote by Psychopathology
That was the first album I've heard from them, so I don't give a shit about how good their other stuff is, and it is honestly the worst album I've ever heard.

rofl
Philosophy > Life
Maggie, I thought it was really funny how you said Cryptopsy lost all their core fans lololol.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by KreatorRage
That just happened because of guitar hero.

Nah, they were already getting pretty big.
Up The Boro!
In the nerd circles, Dragonforce was HUGE before Guitar Hero.

Trust me, I was one of 'em...

:|
Philosophy > Life
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Maggie, I thought it was really funny how you said Cryptopsy lost all their core fans lololol.

lolololol I wasn't the only one who saw that

2008: At the Gates played their final reunion tour

EDIT:
Quote by MoogleRancha
In the nerd circles, Dragonforce was HUGE before Guitar Hero.

Trust me, I was one of 'em...

:|

I can relate to that :|
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Oddsbodkins
Nah, they were already getting pretty big.

This.

Right around the time Inhuman Rampage was released, Herman Li was getting resounding praise from tons of people on the internet. He was kind of like the "underground technical master" at that time.

Then Guitar Hero III featured TTFAF, and the band blew up. Suddenly everyone hates the band, and crack countless jokes.

I still enjoy Dragonforce, to be honest, but I'll admit that the overhype of tose guys is pretty bad.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
This.

Right around the time Inhuman Rampage was released, Herman Li was getting resounding praise from tons of people on the internet. He was kind of like the "underground technical master" at that time.

Then Guitar Hero III featured TTFAF, and the band blew up. Suddenly everyone hates the band, and crack countless jokes.

I still enjoy Dragonforce, to be honest, but I'll admit that the overhype of tose guys is pretty bad.

Ah, I remember the good old days when I first heard of DragonForce from a fellow nerd... Far before GH3...
Same here. A "Magic the Gathering" player showed it to me.

We were playing Diablo II (I was an awful nerd back in the day), and he started playing it while leveling. I asked him what it was, and the rest was history...
Philosophy > Life
How is Diablo II in any way, shape, or form, nerdy?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
It just is.

DragonForce + Diablo II + "Magic the Gathering" crap everywhere + a LAN party planned for Unreal Tournament later + drinking Moutain Dew with a cherry in it, out of bendy straws + not having taken a shower in weeks + my "OS Wars" shirt + running on Linux and having rousing OS conversations = NERDY
Philosophy > Life
I just lost so much respect for you moogle
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Wow...now thats nerdiness reinvented and defined at its best.

Huge Diablo fan here though.
Quote by romencer17
I just lost so much respect for you moogle

hahahahahahahahahaha
Philosophy > Life
Page 1 of 2