The following is one way to play the opening notes to the Stones Sympathy for the Devil solo:

|-----------12------------------------|
|--------------15p12----------------|
|----------------------14Brp12------|
|--------------------------------14~~|
|---------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------|

When I play it, my timing is way off, and it sounds sort of like the riff if you listen really, really hard and use your imagination. Obviously, I'd like to play it better than that, so I'm wondering if part of the problem is if I'm fingering this inefficiently.

Would you bar the e and B strings at the 12th fret to start this riff off or would you typically move your first finger to the 12th fret one note at a time?

I have tried it both ways and have found each approach has it's advantages and drawbacks. Is there any universal preference when encountering licks structured like this?
I play it by barring the e and b strings, then using my third finger on the b string 15th fret, then my middle finger on the bend, first finger on the g string 12th fret, then middle finger on the last note. Hope that helps
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Quote by ironmaiden_98
I play it by barring the e and b strings, then using my third finger on the b string 15th fret, then my middle finger on the bend, first finger on the g string 12th fret, then middle finger on the last note. Hope that helps

Same here. I think it's all about preference though, just play it however feels the most comfortable.
I'd use my pointerfinger for all the 12's, not barring though. Then using my pinky for the 15th, and my ringfinger for the other frets
Edit: Sorry, barring the e and b string
Last edited by eiirish at Nov 11, 2009,
Ahh, the good old roll. It's disappointing how often I forget to use the rolling technique. I'll try that method as well since barres on single note runs tend to lock up the flow for me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions :-)
I would not bar the e and b string.

Move the finger when needed for a note. Only time I bar 2 strings is if I am sweeping and it calls for same fret on adjacent strings.

All in all, just do what is best and most efficient for you. Either way will yield basically the same results.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ