The strings always get out of tune really fast. I have an Epiphone SG-400 so... idk what is it? The strings? How do I get the strings to not be so loose? I have some Drop G songs I wanna play too and that's incredibly low, so how do you get the strings to sound as full as they do in Drop D or C?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR TIPS!!
If you're going to be in Drop G you need a baritone guitar. Even Drop A#, I've used .13's on my Dean V. You'll need a setup, maybe new pickups so your sound isn't too muddy and there is good string definition, and you need to dial almost all your lows out of your amp or else you'll just hear sludge.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
thick mother****ing strings
you might need to adjust your intonation though
You either need a baritone or a 7-string guitar. Or maybe you should stop playing that nu-metal cr@p...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
its goint to be a pretty big hassle to downtune that low. you need very thick strings, adjust the truss rod to compensate, adjust the action and intonation too. might as well get a guitar made for that sort of thing.
Baritone guitar, seven string guitar or buy a bass if you're that fixated on pointlessly low tunings...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thicker strings, setup and a re-EQ of your sound. It is entirely possible to get your current guitar into that tuning and sounding good.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Locking nut.

what...

Thicker Strings TS.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by yoyodunno
its goint to be a pretty big hassle to downtune that low. you need very thick strings, adjust the truss rod to compensate, adjust the action and intonation too. might as well get a guitar made for that sort of thing.

The strings will be thicker, but the tension won't be that big, when I switched from 9's to 13's with drop b, i didn't need any truss rod adjustments
Hmmm..... You're going to need strings as thick as your cable, raise the action a little bit, lower the distortion a tad bit, and just crank the mids. It's still going to sound pretty muddy though
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by tickler444
You either need a baritone or a 7-string guitar. Or maybe you should stop playing that nu-metal cr@p...

lol well it's mainly breaking benjamin and bring me the horizon songs.
Problem your gonna run into is if you set this guitar up to tune that low your not gonna be able to switch tunings easy. If you set it up for drop g then your gonna want to keep it there or close. The tension change from drop g to drop d w .13s would be pretty drastic.
okay well what's the EASIEST thing to do? i don't wanna change guitars. i don't wanna get new pickups.

will ONLY thicker strings do the trick? i prolly won't do drop G just drop Bb.
^That's because your playing sucks.
/comeback

EDIT: Note: I haven't listened to your playing at all.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by tickler444

+1,000. On both parts.

Edit: see above post also.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
wow guys drop Bb isn't all i listen to. jesus christ. i have plenty of standard, Drop D and Drop C# and C songs. god is everybody a judgmental ****face these days?
That's UG for you.

I'll go with the thicker strings thing.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Its really hit or miss, Some guitars can play with lower tunings no problem, But just as many have issues holding tune, best bet is just getting thicker strings and intone the guitar, If your are still having issues get another guitar or not tune as low.
Quote by iamghost
wow guys drop Bb isn't all i listen to. jesus christ. i have plenty of standard, Drop D and Drop C# and C songs. god is everybody a judgmental ****face these days?

Ha yes people can't get over the fact that their is music (yes it's music it's not just an endless droning noise) outside of their usual range of music they would listen too. And honestly get a baritone imo it's more worth it if you prefer to play in lower tunings.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Thicker strings, setup and a re-EQ of your sound. It is entirely possible to get your current guitar into that tuning and sounding good.

+1

Everything in this post is win.

If you're willing to put more money in, new pickups would help a lot. The stock G400 pickups are pretty muddy as they are.
Quote by iamghost
lol well it's mainly breaking benjamin and bring me the horizon songs.

Throw some thicker strings on, adjust your settings acordingly and you should be alright

Although if you try to play bring me the horizon your hair will flop to one side covering either eye and you will only be able to scream like a cat being rubbed against a cheese grater or you'll sound as a low as a black kid that just hit puberty.

Best of luck
For tuning that low you will definitely need to do some EQing to suit it.
I have Ernie Ball Beefys (11-54 I think) and it does drop C- A# perfecty fine. The Drop A# is a TINY bit floppy. But not too bad
why would you bump this, i'm pretty sure, we've all established thicker strings are the solution.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Bb??? play a clarinet it is already tuned to Bb.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
A 30" scale 8-string.

/joke
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Bhaok
Bb??? play a clarinet it is already tuned to Bb.

Or a trumpet.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame