http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuee6blvj8&feature=related

i'm sure most of you have seen Ted Greene's Autumn Leaves improv,

Does anyone know how to get a tone close to this?

I'm not that good with finding /recreating certain tones, i have a digitech rp55 which helps in some situations i guess... but if anyone can figure out how to achieve that unbelievable tone, please fill me in
A Tele and a Fender Twin reverb maybe?

Very nice tone though, like butter!
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 11, 2009,
yeah he's certainly using a telecaster but my only electric is a epiphone les paul
Quote by Tempoe
A Tele and a Fender Twin reverb maybe?

Agreed.

It looks like he is using a Fender Telecaster straight into a Fender silverface Twin (or something along those lines of amplifier). His pickup selector seems to be in the center position, and the traditional Telecaster bridge saddles are a bit skewed, so they are probably compensated like the Joe Barden saddles. That, and he plays with his fingers instead of a pick. He's very good at it, too.
Quote by FatalGear41
Agreed.

It looks like he is using a Fender Telecaster straight into a Fender silverface Twin (or something along those lines of amplifier). His pickup selector seems to be in the center position, and the traditional Telecaster bridge saddles are a bit skewed, so they are probably compensated like the Joe Barden saddles. That, and he plays with his fingers instead of a pick. He's very good at it, too.

Yeah, but depending on if he's changed the switch, that's just the bright version of the neck pickup. If you get me. If you go onto Fenders website and look at the wiring for a 52 Tele, you'll see it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Yeah, but depending on if he's changed the switch, that's just the bright version of the neck pickup. If you get me. If you go onto Fenders website and look at the wiring for a 52 Tele, you'll see it.

Roger that. I put the capacitor in my '52 Reissue Telecaster to turn it into a traditional pickup arrangement. Fortunately, I found it stashed away in the case candy.
I imagine a strat could get close to this tone, I've always had a weird anti-Tele disposition. I love the tone and sound they make, but the body is just a turn off to me. Much rather get a strat.
That's the beauty of Fender amps ;_;

And CL/\SH, just because you don't like Tele's doesn't mean he doesn't. Though you may get a similar tone on a Strat, but it'd be a bit...thinner (?) from a strat. I much prefer strats over teles, but there's something about a Tele that you just can't pull out of a strat
You can get a great clean tone from pretty much any high-end Fender amp.
The same is true for some lower end models as well.
That's kind of what they're known for.
Quote by CL/\SH
I imagine a strat could get close to this tone, I've always had a weird anti-Tele disposition. I love the tone and sound they make, but the body is just a turn off to me. Much rather get a strat.

That's ironic in the fact that your username is "Clash", and Joe Strummer has/had a signature Tele.
I realise my post didn't give much help...

But the Fender Super Champ XD seems to be a great amp to get the sort of "imitation" high end tones if you're on a budget.

If you have the cash, go for the real deal.
I'm on a 0 dollar budget to be honest, I have an epiphone les paul standard, a "Kustom" amp, and a digitech rp55 pedal, maybe i can try to get a similar sound using the amp cabinet feature, we'll see : /