Hi all,

i currently have a cheap aria stb- bass 4 string, with a groove factory 300 watt 1 x 15 2 x 10 bass amp

i was looking around according to my budget for a 5 string as i play, rock, hard blues and some other various styles.

is this bass what im looking for ?

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_18&products_id=3567&zenid=356349f5729bb2280707bdeca65f5802

-155DX
* Bolt-On
* 34” Scale
* Basswood Body
* Flamed Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* 45mm Standard Nut
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* ESP Tuners
* ESP DB-5 Bridge
w/ String-Thru-Body
* ESP SB-5 (B&N) p.u.w/ ESP ABQ-3 3-Band Active EQ
* Finish: STB
I don't know what your budget is, but the ESP B-155 basses are popular choices. They are well-made, good-playing basses. You will likely enjoy it very much. Of course, if you can afford to spend more, then you can get more. Even if you can afford to spend more, you might decide that this is the bass for you. The best advice is to check one out at a music store or from someone who owns one.
Go play it and find out...

How do we know what you like?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Just a comment: You didn't mention metal in your styles, and ESP is probably (if not Ibanez) THE metal brand. Just a comment. Nice bass though.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
ESP isn't what I'd go with for what you want. it'll work, but it's not quite the perfect fit for blues.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ferguson911
I don't have acces to a music store....i live far..... how does this active''ness'' work?

There is an active EQ within the bass, normally this give it a more sterile sound. If I were you I'd look for a Squire VM for the Blues, it will work much better.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
There is an active EQ within the bass, normally this give it a more sterile sound. If I were you I'd look for a Squire VM for the Blues, it will work much better.

i play more rock, less blues.....
Quote by ferguson911
I don't have acces to a music store....i live far..... how does this active''ness'' work?

The B-155 has an active 3-band EQ: Bass, Mid and Treble. Each of those three knobs will move backwards and forwards from a center position. Move it forward from the center position and it boosts that area of the EQ. Move it back from the center position and it cuts it. It is much more versatile than a passive setup, but it does require a 9-volt battery to make it work.
Quote by ferguson911
i play more rock, less blues.....

ESP are metal basses, for rock I'd still go for a Squier

Squiers can play pretty much ANYTHING anyway.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by FatalGear41
The B-155 has an active 3-band EQ: Bass, Mid and Treble. Each of those three knobs will move backwards and forwards from a center position. Move it forward from the center position and it boosts that area of the EQ. Move it back from the center position and it cuts it. It is much more versatile than a passive setup, but it does require a 9-volt battery to make it work.

so it is a well rated bass?
3 guys said no and one guy said yes.

why did you even ask?

you'll be fine, I'm sure, a bass is a bass is a bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Look at the Ibanez ATK305, fits all styles and all players, best bass I've ever played that was <£1500. It might just fit your budget.

Overall rule: basses aren't guitars. They might look out of place but any bass can be used for any genre, it all boils down to preference.
Quote by the humanity
3 guys said no and one guy said yes.

why did you even ask?

you'll be fine, I'm sure, a bass is a bass is a bass.

This...

You seemed pretty set you were going to buy it so you pretty much ignored our advice... so why did you ask?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
This...

You seemed pretty set you were going to buy it so you pretty much ignored our advice... so why did you ask?

simple wondering about the quality, i had a budget amount and read the positives and negatives, i guessed it was the best after reading this

how does the bass wah work it doesnt seem to have a switch :S
Quote by ferguson911
simple wondering about the quality, i had a budget amount and read the positives and negatives, i guessed it was the best after reading this

3 people recommended not getting it...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
3 people recommended not getting it...

suggesting other brands

anyways how does the bass wah ''work'' where is the on switch
Quote by ferguson911

anyways how does the bass wah ''work'' where is the on switch

I think it is safe to assume it does work, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it. You'll find out when it arrives

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I think i should report this for being the biggest waste of time, i have yet seen.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul