What would I really gain from learning scales? Do they really help you in any way? Sorry for the dumb question but it's something that I've been thinking about today.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
Scales simply help for warming up, gaining speed and accuracy, and creating leads and solos. Beside that, they're pointless.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at Nov 11, 2009,
Yeah, in all honesty they do help. They haven't really helped me much making up riffs or anything, but with soloing it does help a lot
Quote by tickler444
Scales simply help for warming up, gaining speed and accuracy, and creating leads and solos. Beside that, they're pointless.

wtf? no no and a thousand times no!

Scales help you understand music...I can't think of anything more useful when learning to play a musical instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by tickler444
It simply helps for warming up, gaining speed and accuracy, and creating leads and solos. Beside that, it's pointless.

and its a major part of theory and can help with chord construction, there is no reason not to learn them.
all the above and besides it makes learning solos easier since you can "predict" what goes next.
for example if you know that a song uses the E minor pentatonic, you already know what notes being used, so it makes the learning process of a solo way easier.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by tickler444

^ yeah, that's not really true. Sure, scales ARE good for warming up, gaining speed, etc. and in guitar alone, yeah, it'll help with improvising and creating solos. Buuut, if you ever decide to take music more seriously than just guitar, knowing about scales is pretty huge. Helps with chord construction (as someone said), understanding arpeggios, and more or less just understanding how things work.

So, unless you plan on just sticking guitar and don't think you'll need it, it'd also be good to know some theory..

It really does make things a lot easier..

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard about guitar or music in general.

If you want everything you write and play to sound the same and want to limit yourself creatively then don't learn scales.

If you want to understand music and REALLY play guitar then consider scales to be VERY important.
First thanks for all the replys. I have been thinking of starting them. So I guess I'll start tonight. Thanks again
Start with the Major scale - you can derive pretty much any scale (or mode) you'll ever need from the Major scale, so get that down and you've done the hard bit. But don't just learn it in terms of the shapes it makes on the fretboard - learn how its constructed too, so you understand it in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes (eg C Maj = C D E F G A B) and intervals (Root, Maj 2nd, Maj 3rd, Perfect 4th etc), and know what it sounds like. It may seem like overkill at the moment, but it'll be worth it when you come to use it, or to learn other scales.
Where is the best place to get this from? Are there good sites online or should I just go and get a book ?
Quote by Dwhitt1981
Where is the best place to get this from? Are there good sites online or should I just go and get a book ?

www.all-guitar-chords.com and check for other stuff here on UG.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by tickler444

And that is why you fail at guitar, NOOB. Knowing scales helps you to improvise and make up your own songs. They also help to make a tasty shred solo.
Quote by 12thFretHurts
Hi. How do you interpret and apply that chart/diagram to your fret, with all those dots over there?

Those dots are the notes of the scale. The orange ones are the root note, and the yellow ones are all the other notes that fit in the scale.

To apply it to your guitar, the bottom string on the diagram is the top string on your guitar (same as all good tabs).
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by 12thFretHurts
Hi. How do you interpret and apply that chart/diagram to your fret, with all those dots over there?

Also, I'm not sure, but the only scale I know is something I got from this guy on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlA-ECvYX88

I wished he would go further than that, and teach all the scales.. I really am new to this. Lol..

That diagram is not really "the scale", it's just one place on your fretboard the notes of the scale appear. In other words it's not the whole picture, it's just part of the puzzle which is why it's condusing. All the diagram actually tells you is one place you can play the notes of the scale - it doesn't tell you the important things such as what the scale actually is, what notes and intervals it contains, how it works musically or how you can use it.

Start by learning the notes on the fretboard, then learn about intervals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Scales are devil spawn designed by big brother to make all our solos fit nicely into keys. They are controlling you, take the red pill.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Your ears are your guideline for improvising, not some gay patterns
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.