I've had my Seagull Coastline Cedar Grand for a few weeks now, and thought I'd do a review for those who might be interested in getting a parlor guitar. First off, I got it because a recent shoulder injury made playing my dread and sometimes even my grand concert painful. I noticed when playing a Larrivee parlor that it didn't hurt, and since I like Seagulls and also find them to be a good value, I decided to go for this one.

First off, the guitar has a solid cedar top, laminate wild cherry back and sides and a silverleaf maple neck - the same wood combination found in the S6. It's 14 frets above the body, 21 frets total, and it's scale is short, the same as my S6, which is 24.84 (thanks, otp). The nut is 1.72", and I admit I wish it was thicker - I love my S6 neck. Still, this one isn't too narrow, and doesn't bother me unless I play in the same position for an extended amount of time. Those who prefer narrower necks will like this one but I fingerpick on it with no real problem. The guitar has a semi-gloss finish, no high or sharp frets, and came with a Tusq nut.

My Coastline Grand arrived well set-up with pretty low action - lower than my S6 had. When I changed to lighter strings, it became extremely comfortable to play.

As with most parlors, this one took some getting used to to find a playing position. The smaller upper bout meant that when held in the same way as a larger guitar, the neck dropped downward, which was a pain. Again, I've had this problem with all parlors and within a day or two, found a number of playing positions that worked fine.

My guitar was a b-stock model, but the issues were all cosmetic and didn't affect the sound or build. While the guitar usually sells for $397, the one I got was $310

Now the sound. When the guitar arrived, it had 13's on it. The tone was too bright and a bit thin, and I found it unpleasant. I switched the wound strings to Martin Silk and Steels and the unwound strings to D'Addario phospor bronze and voila! The sound is now fuller, with mellow bass and beautiful highs. Keep in mind that this is a parlor, so it isn't as big a sound as a dread, but for fingerpicking or soft to medium strumming using fingers, the guitar sounds better than I thought a laminate back and sides parlor could sound. It's got a woody sound, and it's also very sensitive - more than any other laminate back/sides guitar I've played. I can hear subtle stuff I don't hear on other guitars in this price range, and bends take on a whole new range.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Seagull Coastline Cedar Grand. The sound, ease of playability before setup, feel, finish and build quality are all very good, as I have come to expect from Seagull. It sounds good stummed or plucked fingerstyle, although when strummed very hard it loses some tonal quality, but I don't play that hard. Support has gotten back to me quickly on a number of questions, which is nice. The guitar is also a good value. I definitely recommend this one for anyone looking for a parlor or a travel guitar!

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productcoastgrand.htm
Last edited by patticake at Nov 11, 2009,
i hadn't realized that as i never go to the other sections of the site. and having just looked around, i don't see a review forum - maybe lack of sleep. either way, i sorta feel this was for the acoustic section anyway. who else would want an acoustic parlor but an acoustic player?

the mods can move it to where they feel it works best if this isn't the place.

Quote by stephen_rettie
there's a dedicated review section on this site.
Last edited by patticake at Nov 11, 2009,
thanks for catching my typos - it isn't easy typing in your sleep! i was really enjoying playing my grand before i went to sleep and thought i'd really like to share about the guitar

Quote by obeythepenguin
^ I think he meant here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/
But don't worry about it; I think most of us read the forums more anyway.

Anyway, great review. I really liked the Coastline Grand I played, too. I might have to get one myself sometime, for a more Jethro Tull-type acoustic sound.

Couple minor things: I'm assuming you meant silverleaf maple, and 21 (not 12) frets. And I think the Seagull scale length is 24.84", not that I'm super-pedantic or anything...
i know that almost every review of the grand on every site says it's loud but it really isn't that loud. it's louder than i expected it to be, and it's loud enough to play along with other players if they're not playing too hard, but it's definitely not as loud as the s6.

Quote by obeythepenguin
By the way, how does the volume compare to the S6? I remember it being pretty loud, but never got a chance to compare side-by-side.