Alright, so I've gotten sweep picking down for the most part, and I've just about got it pretty well cleaned up. I've also learned how to do some sweep tapping, but the problem with that is it's not very clean at all. What should I do to make my sweep tapping sound a lot more clean? (i.e hand placement, finger positioning, etc...)
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by stephen_rettie
practice.
there is no secret, if you can sweep and you can tap combining them is a matter of practice.

Alright... well, now that I think of it, that's sort of how I improved my sweeping . But how should I go about practicing sweep tapping? Like, should I just do it really really slow and speed it up gradually?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Quote by simpleben09
Alright... well, now that I think of it, that's sort of how I improved my sweeping . But how should I go about practicing sweep tapping? Like, should I just do it really really slow and speed it up gradually?

yep, practice accuracy with your taps and use a metronome,
Quote by simpleben09

You can... if your a snail. Or you can go the shawn lane way about it and just keep playing fast until it clears up.

But seriously eitehr way is good method of practice.
-no sig-
Practise.
And don't practise without distortion.
Because you're practising on playing cleanly, so you should use distortion.
It might be a lot of noise, but then you can pick up mistakes and hear the improvement.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean
Practise.
And don't practise without distortion.
Because you're practising on playing cleanly, so you should use distortion.
It might be a lot of noise, but then you can pick up mistakes and hear the improvement.

I don't think he means cleanly like on a clean channel but clean as in each individual note is heard, and the playing itself isn't sloppy
but seriously, all you really need to do is practice
Quote by Rocks ur Life
I don't think he means cleanly like on a clean channel but clean as in each individual note is heard, and the playing itself isn't sloppy
but seriously, all you really need to do is practice

This. I'm always playing with distortion of some kind unless I'm playing a clean passage. And I'll take your adive ;-)
*advice
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

when you mean sweep tapping what exactly do you mean?

Like for example lets say you're sweeping an A minor arp and you tap the tonic A on the high e string??

or... are you not using a pick and doing everything legato?
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I say for sweep tapping move your hand a little closer to the strings and have your middle finger out and pointed towards the strings ,go really slowly and sweep down till you hit the high E string note ,as long as youve done it accuratly and muted well you shouldnt get any extra string noise ,then hammer on the next note ,say if your playing an A minor for example after youve picked to the 12th fret on the E string hammer on 17 and as your hammering on move your hand over and tap the 17th fret and pull off to 17 ,then move your hand back into place and pull off back to the 12th fret then sweep back up
Quote by Al4Project
You can... if your a snail. Or you can go the shawn lane way about it and just keep playing fast until it clears up.

But seriously eitehr way is good method of practice.

Except the latter. Shawn is recommending speed bursts as a specific tool in specific situations. You can't use a sledgehammer for all your standard DIY but it helps to have one when you've got a bigass wall to knockdown.

But MOST of the time, you need to take it slow and practice it perfectly, gradually building it up - which is what Shawn actually says in that vid.