I am a musician who has been playing for 23 years, so I should know more about this stuff. Having said that, let me dive in... I have relied on the 'less is more' priniciple (ie. using less expensive gear and letting tone come from my fingers vs relying on gear to do that for me), and it has worked well for me. I have played through a Hughes & Kettner Tour Reverb 1x12 for the better part of a decade (with only a delay pedal hidden behind the amp and a re-issued 808 Tube Screamer), and it has been the most responsive tone I have ever gotten.

Recently, I bought a Line 6/Bogner 2x12 to upgrade, and though I love the tone I have been able to create (mere tube versions of the tone I have come to rely on), I can't get the volume low enough to practice at home. I have looked into THD's "Hot Plate", but I'm trying to find smarter or cheaper options to get my volume down without paying an arm and a leg (I'm a parent of two, so guess where the money goes?). Any help? (And yes, I'm keeping the kids, so I have to come up with a cheaper option to fix my volume issues.) Thanks for reading this.

You can respond here, or just email my 'onevoiceinc' name at gmail. Thanks again.
Last edited by onevoiceinc at Nov 11, 2009,
Practise on the old amp and use the new one for live situations?
Honestly I don;t know.. I practise on my Fireball, and that volume goes low enough for me to practise on..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
RDSElite, i hate you!!! i want a fireball!!!!!!! |LOL

jk i dont hate you!!! lol
and letting tone come from my fingers vs relying on gear to do that for me

Apart from the tone from the fingers thing being a misunderstanding of what's generally meant by tone(or at least making "technique" a useless descriptor), cheaper gear isn't really going to help "tone" come from your "fingers". Most cheaper gear tends to be less responsive, depending. There are some exceptions, like the Vox AC4TV.
Build a sound isolation box and mic your cab, then listen to it on your studio monitors. Or buy a Super Champ XD.
Thanks, guys. I was going to sell my Hughes and Kett. Guess for now I will hang onto it. My top priority is taking care of my kids (of course), and along the way, I find ample time to play and share my music. I just wish there was a cheaper option. I hate flip-flopping back and forth between amps. [Insert me whining here. Heh heh.] But I guess it is what it is.. And Gurren, respectfully, I will have to agree to disagree with you on certain levels (and that is ok - there is no disrespect, only a difference in opinion). I define tone as what comes from the speaker to my ear, but that is shaped by the wood, the pickups, and the placement of my fingers (as well as adding extra notes or vibrato or volume knob swells or feedback, etc), which is why I include this in my definition of tone. To alter any of these will alter the overall tones that will be heard. And I also base this on the fact that most people who have used my exact amp do not get the same tone, even when at the same exact settings I get. So it has so much to do with the fingers in my experience. And to me and my experience in playing, I will always group the two as one in the same. It may not fall into someone else's definition, but I do not play for them anyway, lol. I play for the love of my craft and for the listeners who find a relation in it... and once again, though, I appreciate all your responses. Wow, you're quick to get back with an answer. Hopefully sometime I will be able to return the favor. You all (very much including Gurren) rock!! Thanks.
Oh, and about the Hughes & Kett Tour Reverb 1x12... I would agree with you Gurren on most cheaper gear. (I may have been misleading when I chose the words 'cheaper gear'. I just never pay retail. I get all my gear at at least 50% off, or I will haggle them 'til they give me the price that I will pay. To quote Dave Ramsey: "Never pay retail", lol. And with my H&K, I do run an old Zoom 508, which was only $120 new back in the day, but I have never found a cleaner delay ever since. I still keep that plastic pedal it in its original box, which is beat up, but still intact. Kinda, lol.) It took me forever to decide on even buying the Line 6. I am quirky as heck on my tone. I have heard most Line 6 gear, and ran from it. I am pretty pleased with the Bogner/Line 6, though... other than the 'hicup' when I change patches.

But getting back to the Hughes and Kett. I'd love for you (and every musician on the planet) to try one sometime. It is amazing! I have fooled more producers and other professionals with it. They assume it is a tube amp, because it thinks it is a tube amp. I was recording in Atlanta in '02, and the producer (who had worked with Sevendust, the Marvelous 3, and Ludacris) said, "This is a tube amp, right?" I told him no. He then went through the process of explaining to me that he was referring to vaccum tubes that were in the amp. I grinned and said, "No, I understand what tubes are. This is solid state." He gave me that look like I was crazy, and later when I was returning from a break, I caught him peeking in the back with a flashlight, looking for the tubes, lol. He was convinced it was tube. I have had countless Mesa Boogie and Marshall owners in many different bands asking how I get the sound I get out of it. It is a phenomenon. And I have never heard a Tour Reverb that sounds the same since. (A lot of guitarists in the area bought one after hearing mine. HUghes and Kettner oughtta be proud of their creation.) But any H&K Tour Reverb 1x12 has a lot of tone options. If you ever get the chance, you gotta check one out. They are fun.

When I play on it, I am quirky about where the amp has to be, the angle it has to be facing me (I use a small angled guitar stand to prop it), and lots of other factors. But because of that (and that sweet 808 Tube Screamer) I am able to get perfect harmonic feedback and this amazing tone that I have not been able to capture with other more expensive amps. I love that amp. It is inexpensive (and only available now by buying one from someone on eBay or something), but it is amazing! If Hughes and Ket ever needed a sales rep, they oughtta look right here. Maybe I'm in the wrong profession. Hm... (Maybe they owe me commission, lol.) Seriously, though, try one sometime.
Wooooah wall of text!

just a query... you got the Spider Valve right? If so, You might want to consider looking at the SVPre at some point... it really improves the tone significantly. Are you using your channel knob for your volume or the master knob?

You can use an attenuator like a THD Hotplate or a Weber Mass. An alternative is to reamp your guitar amp... not sure how well it works tho.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Wooooah wall of text!

You can use an attenuator like a THD Hotplate or a Weber Mass. An alternative is to reamp your guitar amp... not sure how well it works tho.

Yeah, sorry I'm too lazy to read it all. I've taught a lot of people here about re-amping to get major league wide open tone at ANY volume, but it costs a bit of dough. BUT-you can use it with almost any tube amp. THD Hot Plates are the most cost effective units (I use a Palmer PDI03 like EVH did, but also own a THD). I don't know if the Weber units have a guitar level line out like the THD & Palmer do. The line out is the key. You connect the attenuator or load box to the amp's speaker output in the normal fashion, but set the unit to "load" only, so the amp thinks there's a speaker there. Then run a guitar cable from the THD (or whatever) line out jack to any rack FX, then into the input of a separate power amp (a few of us use Crate Power Blocks, because they are dirt cheap). The power amp drives the cab & regulates overall volume. You crank the crap out of your main amp, because there's no speakers connected to it, only the load from the Hot Plate, but that full-on cranked tone runs through the line out, & gets amplified thru the power amp (power amp set as clean as can be, so you don't alter the cranked amp's signal. It sounds incredible from whisper volume to onslaught volume.
If you have any questions, pm me, & I'll try to help (although I'll be away from my from tomorrow afternoon til Sunday).

Edit: Many of the clips in my profile were done with a re-amped 50W Mojave Scorpion (a high-end plexi clone basically) through a Crate PB. Any of the clips that sound like VH ripoffs were done with that rig.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Nov 11, 2009,
Hey riff, weber's MASS line of attenuators have line outs so they're an even cheaper solution to the THD. +1 on the power block, same thing I'm using.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hey riff, weber's MASS line of attenuators have line outs so they're an even cheaper solution to the THD. +1 on the power block, same thing I'm using.

Thanks for the heads up, man. Haven't seen ya in a while. Hope all is well!

This may be a great solution for the TS. If the Weber is cheap, & we know the Power Blocks are cheap, then a nice re-amp setup isn't so expensive after all!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Weber MASS attenuators FTW.

Yeah, of course you get tone suck, but only at really, REALLY low volumes. Having the dial on about 9 o'clock will give you a tone very close to the original (in fact the tone suck actually smooths out the tone and helps take away any harshness in the treble) at less than half the original volume. In short, awesome.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The line 6 bogner sounds pretty nice at bedroom levels, don't know why you need to get it higher.

For cranked tones, I would just sell it anyway, as some guy before me said a superchamp would be better in all categories in terms of this unless you play stadiums all day.
TS, I hear kids go for a pretty good MIM strat... if you ever reconsider...