Here guys, Here is a new tune a wrote yesterday and today, let me know what your think, any critiques etc,

Many thanks

Dave

Its called

Lost as You

You are my,
Lost and Lonely Friend,
You live life to the end

And your dreams,
All lined in neon
But the meaning has all gone

And it always feels like you can't win,
Your not comfortable living in your skin
How will you find out what could have been,
When your living you life through a magazine

Lonely days of winter
Just need to see through
You tell me that your lost....
But honey, I'm as lost as you

Can't you that your lost my dear,
It takes more than the makeup to hide that fear
You can't believe that your nobody girl
Just a little lost child, in a little lost world

Lonely days of winter
Just need to see through
You tell me that your lost....
But honey, I'm as lost as you
Nice finger picking. I have to ask though, what microphone do you have and what kind of setup? The vocal sounds the same as your other track and it's almost as if there's some room ambience that sticks out. Interesting move to bring it down in intensity for the chorus.

This was a better mix although I think the drums sound a little "disjointed" (is that makes sense). And that timbre to the vocals make it sound as if they aren't really part of the track.

I'm guessing you're a ballad man, huh?
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
The Mic is a U-87 so I guess it must be the room, or maybe my Mic technique? Or is it just my mixing? Its just a home studio, with a small bit of treatment. Do you think it would be reflections?

I think for the drums I'm going to try and group them and re-amp them, just to give them real acoustic charecterists, as I'm using superior drummer (which is awesome by the way!)

Haha not too sure if I'm a ballad thing, its just that other song did my head in so I just wanted to get something down.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, appreciate it man!
The U87 is directional enough so that you shouldn't have to worry too much about treatment as long as you point it in the right direction. Hell, I use positively crappy mics by comparison, and my room has no treatment (in spite of my better judgment), and I never seem to get that kind of ambient feel. How does the signal chain, including plugins and bus effects, look for the vocal? Is it grouped with any other tracks? How far are you positioned from the mic?

Superior Drummer shouldn't need re-amping to sit well in a mix. Personally I think it's just a question of balance and carving out space for the various parts in the mix.

- Huey Lewis & the News
I suppose experience counts for everything! You get a great sound. I'm about 3 feet away from the mic, do you think I should come closer and turn the mic down? I might try my SM58 see if its my mic/mictechnique which is making it stand out too much. I dont Group the vocal track.

I have a UAD card so Signal chain is U-87 - Presonus Preamp - Cambridge EQ - Pultec EQ - 1176LN

Was it the drums as a whole or a specific part of the drums?

Thanks buddy
Nice song....I like the guitar work, clean finger picking on the arpeggios. The chord progression flows and matches the vocals really well.

Good job!
Quote by davilazita
I'm about 3 feet away from the mic, do you think I should come closer and turn the mic down?

Definitely. 3 feet is a looooong way when singing lead vocals in my experience. Since you're not putting any real power behind the vocals, it is a ballad after all, you have to turn up the gain and that will capture more of the room. Stepping too close to the mic might result in some proximity effect and although that can usually be dealt with by EQ I'd suggest shooting for about 6-12 inches away from the mic for this kind of vocal performance. Once you do that and eliminate the unwanted ambience you should be able to mix this a lot easier.

Quote by davilazita
Was it the drums as a whole or a specific part of the drums?

It's more how the drums sit in the mix. Can't really comment on the sound/production of the drums by themselves since they're not audible enough. Are you using your low cuts and cleaning up any frequencies that instruments "aren't using"?

- Huey Lewis & the News
^The recording sounds very passable to me, I don't think the lad needs that many pointers to be honest. The arrangement and balance of the tune is very good, works perfectly for a song like this. And its a good song, its got a very radio friendly qualitybut I think thats because the piano works so well rather than it being too cheesy.

Keep it up man, good work.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1228208

Abe
NICE stuff, really soothing things I heard on your profile,
I like your voice it has a sorta calm quality to it!
kudos!
Recording quality is really good, and as someone above mentioned, it's radio friendly,
whether you take that as a compliment or not, you decide
i mean it as a compliment

Check mine?
I'm going to experiement with the mic a bit. Someone else said they can hear the room in the vocals, I think I've definately had it too loud.

I use low cuts on nearly all my tracks, I might try being a bit braver with them though. I just need to experiement with my EQ a bit more I think. Do you use a Spectrum analyzer, is it worth getting?

Also checked a quite a few of your tunes, real eclectic mix good stuff

Thanks for the the Crits guys!
Quote by davilazita
Do you use a Spectrum analyzer, is it worth getting?

Never used one because I don't think it says much that's important. People these days get hung up on the visual aspect of plugins and start mixing with their eyes instead of their ears. You'd be much better off reading up a little on the frequency ranges of various instruments and just toying with your EQ to see what happens. The EQ plugins I use the most, Waves API series, don't have visual representation of the EQ curve and fixed ranges but they sound excellent if you need to add. For cuts just about anything will do and there I use the native plugins in ProTools for the most part (although they do have visual representation).

I'm also a big fan of compression, not necessarily to gain loudness but more as a way to impart character. I use a lot of bus compression where I basically mix stems (bass and drums get compressed together for instance) to a certain "cohesion" to the mix. But I'm no pro, I just do passable stuff for the most part.

- Huey Lewis & the News
I like this type of music. Nice song, great guitar, all the instruments were great actually. They all tied together well, and the vocal style definitely fit. There wasn't anything bad about the song, but I think it doesn't have a 'hook' which makes the listener remember anything from the song. I like the echo of "gone" in like the first verse! Peaceful nature of the song was cool, but your vocal melody could have more range to give the song a bit more dynamics.

C4C "The Sound of Hope" please. Thanks!
Last edited by Enertia at Nov 17, 2009,
ebon00 - Cheers mate, I'm always a little bit careful about using compression, cause I get told about the dangers of overcompression, so until I can use it properly and confidently I use it sparingly! Thanks for getting back to me

Enertia - Yeah I agree it could do with more of a hook, I'm going to re-do the vocals soon anyway, thanks for listening