playing improv on beat with a chord progression is easy enough, but when i need to play without a backing, i find it extremely difficult to stay on beat while playing anything remotely interesting, and i'll most likely end up losing where i am in the song as well. Is there anyone who can give advice on how to improve on this
i tap my foot when i play, i can keep a steady beat, but keeping track of what key im in while doing so is tough because i'll lose track of what beat i'm on
Quote by KoenDercksen
Try to work with your ears more then, and less from theory maybe?

That didn't even make sense.

Well, if you're playing your solo without any backing (as in, no music behind it at all), then yes, it is probably going to sound like it doesn't have any 'emotion', because the chords form a relationship with those notes you play, and without them, it's going to sound a little empty.

See, music theory right there.
Quote by Dregen
That didn't even make sense.

... I meant, he has to think too much when having to keep track of beats AND key. This could MAYBE be solved by just playing with the ear, not keeping track of key, and therefore making it less thinking and probably easier to stay in time?

You get what I'm saying?
Quote by KoenDercksen
... I meant, he has to think too much when having to keep track of beats AND key. This could MAYBE be solved by just playing with the ear, not keeping track of key, and therefore making it less thinking and probably easier to stay in time?

You get what I'm saying?

That's why you make sure you know the scale or scales before you play.

Besides, a solo isn't really meant to be exactly in times anyways, is it? I mean, weird phrasing is especially what makes solos interesting.
Quote by Dregen
That's why you make sure you know the scale or scales before you play.

Besides, a solo isn't really meant to be exactly in times anyways, is it? I mean, weird phrasing is especially what makes solos interesting.

not "meant" to be in time as in you don't need to land on each scale change on the exact beat?

although there is a difference between not playing, and playing the wrong key on a change
When you're not playing with a backing, and not practicing, why stay perfectly in time? When doing an unaccompanied solo, you have to lay the rubato on that bitch.