hi i wanted to ask which pickup would be better in the neck position the tone zone or the air norton? and especially has the tonezone a good clean sound?
im playing metal and alternative stuff and do a lot of speed picking...
i have the air norton in my neck position. It does sound good clean, but is also Extremely thick sounding, with lots of low end sound to it.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
And I must ask you, do you have a naturally bright guitar?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Air Norton
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
The Air Norton is a pretty balanced pick-up. It's not overly 'active' or too bright, it's perfectly warm and jazzy. It has solid note articulation so it's ideal for shred work.
I personally prefer it to the Tone Zone.

That said, the Tone Zone has more bite to it. It's a true humbucker, in sorts. Certainly less appropriate for jazz. Maybe more directed for hard-rock playing.

I think they're both equally great pickups with equally nice cleans, but I'd personally suggest the Air Norton for your requirements.
The tone zone is downright crap for cleans.

Get a Humbucker From Hell or a Breed depending on whether you want clarity and sparkle for for cleans or fatness and warmth for gutsy overdriven sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
those are exactly the two pickups i've wanted in my agile Septor 7 string. its made of basswood so it naturally has a pretty flat balanced sound. tone zone in the bridge and an air norton in the neck.

what i have right now is a Seymour duncan JB in the bridge and a stock pickup in the neck. it doesn't sound bad really, but i feel that the dimarzios would suit this particular guitar better, as well as suit my own playing style more so.

I'm playing mostly metal and what not as well. and have always had good results with the set up i have right now.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Actually, I'd suggest that the Air Norton would be overpoweringly thick in a mahogany body.
A PAF Pro is a fantastic neck pickup in any guitar, and in this case its clear treble will work a charm in a mahogany body. If you need more output try the Super 2, which again has the strong treble you'll want for your speed picking to cut through in a mahogany body.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Nov 11, 2009,
i really would like to have that michael romeo speed picking sound and i know that he is using a tonezone in his caparison... so i wanted to know if its good for cleans...
I suspect that he uses his Tone Zone in the bridge position though; it's far too powerful and bassy to be that articulate in the neck position.
Quote by Rock Pig
I suspect that he uses his Tone Zone in the bridge position though; it's far too powerful and bassy to be that articulate in the neck position.
That's true. Tone Zone's are generally used in the bridge position, IIRC.
yeah i know but he is using it in the neck i can show you
he is using a x2n in the bridge
Tone Zone isn't articulate enough for me.

Get a Paf Pro in the Bridge and an Air norton in the neck

It's godly.

Top it off with a true velvet in the middle if you have the cash.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
if i would change my pickups i really would use the x2n in the brigde is a great metal pickup the best that i ever heard... but im really not sure because of the question above... a freind has a air norton and it has a great clean tone, it also has a great sound for picking but its just too bity some times i think
I've got an Air Norton in the neck of my RG2EX1 and I really like it. I don't find it's any good for high gain rhythm work, but it's superb for just about anything else.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
An Air Norton is pretty good for a basswood guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Head.Banger
if i would change my pickups i really would use the x2n in the brigde is a great metal pickup the best that i ever heard... but im really not sure because of the question above... a freind has a air norton and it has a great clean tone, it also has a great sound for picking but its just too bity some times i think

Not so fast there - I have every respect for your own opinion but I'm not sure what it's based on; every time I've tried the X2N I've not liked it in the least. It's just sterile in the extreme, with no redeeming features. Avoid, I'd suggest.
If, however, you've tried it against other credible options and preferred it, go for it; it's your guitar!
In the bridge position, I think a Crunch Lab or a D-Sonic would do you well - both very tight, both full bodied and great for metal. The Crunch Lab has less ridiculous bass but it's got fat highs and superb string seperation. The D-Sonic (bar towards bridge) has monumental bass but it's also extremely clear and tight - great for drop tuning and low down riffing and chugging. With the bar towards the neck it's smoother and more vocal.
yeah i think most pickups will sound bad, if you are using a valveking... try an engl
not a personally thing...
Air Norton for neck position as mentioned multiple times before.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.