Okay so today I just learned tremolo picking, I used to try to do it with the sharp end of the pick and I wasn't too good at it, but what I tried was tilting the pick to the left a littleso the side of it was doing it instead of the point.

I was tremolo picking closest to where the N in MEIN is and right underneath it the 4 in 1994, tilting the point at the bottom to the left

Is this a bad way to tremolo pick? Should I just use the pointy end, or is it okay to use the side?
Last edited by dsan224 at Nov 11, 2009,
Nothing wrong with it at all. I'd imagine you find it easier to hold the pick that way because you'll achieve a better grip of the plectrum, with less slipping.
You mean the strings were hitting the pick about a 3rd of the way up?

You can do it that way if you want, but you'll be faster if you use just the tip and glide of the strings. And you'll break the strings less often too...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
whatever works i suppose, i spent about a minute trying to figure out why you started speaking german.
I use the sides and not the pointy side, due to a smaller picking motion I can get more speed out of my wrist. Another good thing about holding the pick this way, is it helps with pinch harmonics.

Last thing, there's not really a right way to play with a pick. Van Halen got speed from his fingers, Zakk Wylde from his wrist, Pat Metheny from his forearm, Wes Montgomery used only his thumb etc...
Quote by huevos
Mein Picks?

Lol I don't use them, I use Jazz III picks, I was on google images and I just chose that pic.

Kk so you guys think that I shouldn't try to learn tremolo picking with the point, and stick with using the side?
Last edited by dsan224 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Charlie4
I use the sides and not the pointy side, due to a smaller picking motion I can get more speed out of my wrist. Another good thing about holding the pick this way, is it helps with pinch harmonics.

Last thing, there's not really a right way to play with a pick. Van Halen got speed from his fingers, Zakk Wylde from his wrist, Pat Metheny from his forearm, Wes Montgomery used only his thumb etc...

Halen used a plectrum when picking fast.

Most people find using the point gives a smaller picking motion and faster wrist movement due to less pick touching the strings. Think about it. A tiny v shaped section of pick about 1mm high and wide hitting the string, as opposed to a very wide round section on the side.

But as always, it's what feels best for you. Using the side of a pick as opposed to the point might limit you further down the line, but if it doesn't now, go for it.
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Using the side of a pick as opposed to the point might limit you further down the line

What?! I don't want to be doing anything that is bad in the long run. How can it limit me in the long run?
Quote by Freepower
I don't think it's too big a deal, but I've got a quick Q for you - how hard is the pick you're using and what shape is it?

It's a Dunlop Jazz III stiffo, it's a small pick but it's 1.38 and it's very stiff.

(Invalid img)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLE_ClnHtO8
At 1:38 you can see it in action, and how small it is.
That's the exact same pick I use, and I always use the tip for practically all of my playing except for barre chords, in which case I tilt it to the side much like you do.
Well it depends what you mean by tilt the plectrum, and where the strings are hitting the it.

When you say tilt, do you literaly mean the point of the pick is still facing straight down into the guitar, but the pick isnt parrallel with the stings?

Or do you mean you've rotated the pick in your hand so that the point isnt pointing straight down into the guitar as you play, more upwards/backwards?

If it's the 1st one, and the strings are hitting the plectrum that high up (about a 3rd of the way up by what you described), that's going to limint your speed because of how far you're dug in: you want only about 1mm of the pick to actualy contact the strings
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Well it depends what you mean by tilt the plectrum, and where the strings are hitting the it.

When you say tilt, do you literaly mean the point of the pick is still facing straight down into the guitar, but the pick isnt parrallel with the stings?

Or do you mean you've rotated the pick in your hand so that the point isnt pointing straight down into the guitar as you play, more upwards/backwards?

If it's the 1st one, and the strings are hitting the plectrum that high up (about a 3rd of the way up by what you described), that's going to limint your speed because of how far you're dug in: you want only about 1mm of the pick to actualy contact the strings

No the pick is still parallel with the string, as in if you look down at the pick it's still flat if you know what I mean, I didn't twist it or anything. The pick is not facing straight down, the hand position of the pick is pretty much the same, but the point of the pick is pointing left, and I'm using the side to tremolo pick.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Halen used a plectrum when picking fast.

He was talking about circle picking...

Also, he seemed to be using his wrist.
Quote by dsan224
It's a Dunlop Jazz III stiffo, it's a small pick but it's 1.38 and it's very stiff.

(Invalid img)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLE_ClnHtO8
At 1:38 you can see it in action, and how small it is.

I can't see why you'd rather use the edge when the point will cut through the string more easily but if you really want to do it like that I guess the only problem will be you'll have to rotate your pick before you do any tremolo picking (which wouldn't be convenient).
I angle mine in a similar fashion to tremolo pick on the sixth string but for the others I use the tip. I find I retain more control this way, but the 6th string is so big I find it tough to tremolo pick properly with the tip (I use Beefy Slinky 11's so they're fairly large strings.)
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
I just feel that with the tip there is much less of the pick hitting the string so the chance of missing the string is greater than if you use the side, which for me always hits the string and I never stumble.
Quote by Freepower
Sure, but missing the string is much a problem with the workman than the tools - you only want to use a small amount of pick anyway if you're going to play fast.

Agree completely! If you miss with the tip, that's a problem with your accuracy