Hi,

This past weekend I got the new Marshall MG4 series MG15FX for a practice amp. Actually I traded in an old older MG15CDR to get something off towards the purchase. I got the MG4 Programmable Footswitch too!

I know many people rag on the old MG amps and rightly so in many respects. But this new MG4 series amp rocks! It's nothing like the old MG series. I can't believe how much better it sounds. My other practice amp (that was my main one before getting the MG15FX) is a Roland Cube 20X and I think it sounds better than that too.

I was wondering what any other Marshall MG4 series owners here think about their amp. The 4 default preset sounds are very nice right out of the box. Right now I have the amp out of programmed mode and into manual mode trying to develop my own sound. What EQ settings are other MG4 amp owners here using? Have you emulated you favorite guitarist tone?

Also, I should note when I first turned it on I heard a lot of hum. I found out it was from my Strat's single coil pickups. When I turned the guitar's tone knobs down the hum when away. This is probably my fault because I have yet to purchase a noise suppressor like the Boss NS2.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Quote by Kyose
one day people will learn

Agreed. The old ones are worse than the new, but the new MG's still suck.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Kyose
one day people will learn

Don't be like that, he said it's a practice amp. Nothing more, nothing else.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
its still an mg at heart...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
its still an mg at heart...

What's wrong with it for practice though? Sure it's not fantastic tone but for the price it's got a fair few features, sounds better than the spider IMO. It's a fairly decent practice amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I trust my ears so I'm saying it sounds better than my Cube 20X practice amp. I didn't intend this thread to be a debate with all the "uber tubers" out there.

I wanted feedback from other MG4 owners. It may be an "MG" but that's in name only. It's been redesigned from the ground up. It's not the same beast and I used to own one of the so-called crappy ones.

I was leary about getting this at first. Here is the "strange" YouTube video by Rob Chappers that helped convince me otherwise:

Marshall MG15FX - Prepare to be shocked \m/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
As a 15 watt its fine, but when you upgrade to a real amp, don't get the higher wattage mgs.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Yngwie#1
I trust my ears so I'm saying it sounds better than my Cube 20X practice amp. I didn't intend this thread to be a debate with all the "uber tubers" out there.

I wanted feedback from other MG4 owners. It may be an "MG" but that's in name only. It's been redesigned from the ground up. It's not the same beast and I used to own one of the so-called crappy ones.

I was leary about getting this at first. Here is the "strange" YouTube video by Rob Chappers that helped convince me otherwise:

Marshall MG15FX - Prepare to be shocked \m/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

i agree with you, actually, i hate my cube with a passion. i used to have a mg100dfx (bought by bandmates, i didn't even keep it when i left the band) and even though i didn't like it so much, it's got some fair cleans, the distortion's pretty bad, but i don't need that, and i hate the cube with a passion.
however, i doubt it's that different from the old mg, even if it's better, it's probably still going to sound roughly the same..
im not gonna lie
if you set a marshall mg right, they dont sound bad
if you run the head through a vintage marshall cab it sounds fine
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I'm in a unfortunate situation where I sorta have to stick with solid state, since tube amps are out of my price range and they'd be too loud for a row house like mine. I was interested in Marshall's new 5 watt tube amp but $400 is too expensive for a practice amp. I just like the general Marshall sound because all the hard rock bands I liked during in the 70's and 80's used them so that's what I expect to want to sound like and emulate their sounds.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Don't be like that, he said it's a practice amp. Nothing more, nothing else.

He said practise amp, but he's had 2 MG's and a roland cube. Maybe he could have saved his money and skipped the practise amp? There comes a time when one wonders why 3 practise amps later he doesn't have a "normal" amp yet?

This is gonna be a bloodbath.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

This is gonna be a bloodbath.

better bust out the lime, chlorine and garbage bags....
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i could give 2 shits what amp someone uses, as long as they dont push it on me, i have the mindset of an angry drunken irishman(60% yo!) so go for it, use your amp.

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
He said practise amp, but he's had 2 MG's and a roland cube. Maybe he could have saved his money and skipped the practise amp? There comes a time when one wonders why 3 practise amps later he doesn't have a "normal" amp yet?

Dude, I just play guitar around the house for fun as a hobby for the enjoyment. I don't need a big "normal" amp to prove anything to you or anyone else. I don't have amp envy to worry about, geeze.

Chris George demos the New Marshall MG Line of Amps at the 2009 NAMM convention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJTnIF_lMA
(He's not using any separate effects pedals. He's only foot switching between the MG amp models 4 channels and built-in programmable effects.)
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1
Dude, I just play guitar around the house for fun as a hobby for the enjoyment. I don't need a big "normal" amp to prove anything to you or anyone else. I don't have amp envy to worry about, geeze.

Chris George demos the New Marshall MG Line of Amps at the 2009 NAMM convention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJTnIF_lMA

Call me crazy but I just assumed that you would be in the pursuit of better tones

You can buy tube amps that will sound infinitely better for the same price or less than you have spent on "practise" amps up until now that won't blow down the house. I'm assuming you're a fan of higher gain styles so you'll be happy to hear that you don't need to crank your amp to 11 to get the sounds you want despite popular belief. I can get great tones from my 6505+ at 1.5

I don't mean to sound like as ass but you don't need to keep buying sub-par amps just because you don't think you can achieve any better...
I've not tried them, but from all the samples I've heard, they sound a lot better than the MGDFX series.

To all the people who are bashing SS amps and Marshall - you're wrong.

There ARE in fact good SS amps, and not all Marshalls are MG's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I've not tried them, but from all the samples I've heard, they sound a lot better than the MGDFX series.

To all the people who are bashing SS amps and Marshall - you're wrong.

There ARE in fact good SS amps, and not all Marshalls are MG's.

*jumps off bandwagon wileding flametorch*

my badd, kidding, theres just a bunch of people who are quick to jump the gun, marshall had a screw up, and theyre the almighty marshall god and shll not fail at anything.

every company has had its lemon, marshall just overpriced the bad lemon.

and your right ss arent all bad, its just the ones people decide to buy in this day and time(cheap affordable shit amps) and they end up with an untrained ear due to the practice with a digital sounding amp.

Marshalls are really nice amps if you actually spend some money to get the tone you want, but people expect marshall tones out of a cheap amp.

they really arent that bad anymore, i played through one at gc the other day, it wasnt the most pleasent musical tone, but it didnt make my eye balls flip and insides melt, it just sounded bland.

*steps off soapbox and walks away*

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Chasing that elusive better tone is fine and all and I know tube amps sound better but I can't afford them. I only paid $104 for the MG15FX through trade-in plus 15% off special at Guitar Center. I got the programmable footcontroller for it too. I think in total I only spent $145 for both so that was a good deal. I would liked to have something maybe like the Class 5 or the Haze would be even better, but just too much money to justify it to my wife why we're not spending it instead on house repairs, LOL.
Quote by Yngwie#1
Chasing that elusive better tone is fine and all and I know tube amps sound better but I can't afford them. I only paid $104 for the MG15FX through trade-in plus 15% off special at Guitar Center. I got the programmable footcontroller for it too. I think in total I only spent $145 for both so that was a good deal. I would liked to have something maybe like the Class 5 or the Haze would be even better, but just too much money to justify it to my wife why we're not spending it instead on house repairs, LOL.

hate to break it to ya but there are tube amps for about 150-200, vlave junior is great, so is the little giant, both 5 w class A tube heads, with matching cabs. haze is overpriced too lol.

well HNAD

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
This is cool guys debating which amp I should have gotten. My original goal starting this thread if you go back and look was to get opinions from any other MG4 owners out there. I knew the detractors already existed from the other threads and comments here. Now you've gone and scared them off, LOL
i think
it depend how much you pay for :

i got an old valvestate cab for 135 $ .. with 4x12 celestion 12 inch in it ... its perfect .

matching it with a cheap avt 150h is giving good result for around 350 can $ .

but if you spend 750- 1000+ dolalrs on a mg half stack or avt .. then your paying too much .

and if your playing beyond band practice and home .. forget solid state marshalls .

but im satisfied with mine . im a hobbyist and im happy with my sound .

in the end .. it whats matter .

on youtube.. theres people trying to find right setting for mesa boogie recto , mark and other 1000 + amp who still arent happy with their sound .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1
This is cool guys debating which amp I should have gotten. My original goal starting this thread if you go back and look was to get opinions from any other MG4 owners out there. I knew the detractors already existed from the other threads and comments here. Now you've gone and scared them off, LOL

The fact of the matter is you aren't gonna find many MG4 owners because they still remain overpriced for what they are. Yes they may be an improvement on the previous model, but it's still just a polished turd lol

Most people have figured that out by now
Well if I'm gonna have a turd it better be polished
^ that's the spirit mate

As a fellow guitarist any amp is better than no amp, but you can find good deals on used tube amps out there just keep positive
I'll keep looking. This won't be my last amp of any kind. I have 2 kids who share them too sometimes. If I ever get divorced then it will be time to replace her with a stacked amp, LOL.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^ that's the spirit mate

As a fellow guitarist any amp is better than no amp, but you can find good deals on used tube amps out there just keep positive

but tube are so ****ing loud .. i cranked a small 3 watts i had . and by the time the magic start .. i almost kicked out of my home . so basically if your not alone in the house and want to play when the kids sleeps or later in the evening ... than tube are worthless.

so solid state/modelling has its use .. headphone output , sound good at very low volume . etc.. .

seems like tube amp were built for people who has their closest neighbour at 350 meters .

some Dude make the AVT 150 sound very nice :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhnGVaDxko
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Skysc
but tube are so ****ing loud .. i cranked a small 3 watts i had . and by the time the magic start .. i almost kicked out of my home . so basically if your not alone in the house and want to play when the kids sleeps or later in the evening ... than tube are worthless.

so solid state/modelling has its use .. headphone output , sound good at very low volume . etc.. .

seems like tube amp were built for people who has their closest neighbour at 350 meters .

That's only if you play classic rock where you want nice tube saturation. If you play higher gain genres tube saturation = fail

As I stated in a previous post I get great tones out of my 6505+ at 1
Quote by Yngwie#1

Actually I don't think there are that many MG4 owners on here. It is still rather new.

You don't really have a NAD thread and you don't really have an Official MG4 thread either so I'd expect some crit if I were you.

I'm happy that you are happy

PS: Change your sig

I had a look at the MG4 amps and they weren't all that bad. Still MGs, but if I had nothing else to play then I'd use one.

People saying 'I hated the MGs so I'm off Marshall forever' are idiots. If someone offered you a Silver Jubilee for $100, you'd take it. Otherwise UG would destroy you.
Quote by Skysc

Depending on what you play. Metal + power tube saturation = not good.

Blues or classic rock where you want a creamy sound then yes, but does that mean its useless at low volumes? No, I can get much better classic rock tones from my XXX at a reasonable volume than an MG.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Actually I don't think there are that many MG4 owners on here. It is still rather new. You don't really have a NAD thread and you don't really have an Official MG4 thread either so I'd expect some crit if I were you.

PS: Change your sig

I guess my discussion thread title 'Marshall MG4 Series Amp Owners' wasn't clear enough without the word OFFICIAL in front of it? I'll remember next time. It's just common sense if you see a title like that it's not meant for the UG amp bashers to jump on in and nay-say. That's just common period. I wasn't asking your opinion of the new MG4 series was good or bad by your standards or that a tube amp is better.

I hear this talk about what tone is, like it's something your can actually quantify and measure. What a waste of time. You might think you know but your audience probably can't tell the differences between gear or EQ settings. It's a purely subjective thing up to each person's perception. You like what you like and I like what I like. To each his own I suppose!

I think the new MG4's sound great, especially the low wattage practice amp models. Compared to the older MG series they are not the same in any respect except being solid state. At least these use analog circuits and a better overall electronic design and power section. They are fine for what they are. They definitely should not be compared to tube amps in any respect and be put down because they are not up to par with what tube amps you use. That's apples to oranges. Now if I were playing for a living and doing shows I'd go with the Marshall tube amps, or some other amp brand of your liking.

Personally, being born in 1959, my teenage years were in the 70's and early adulthood in the 80's, so I tend to prefer the tones of classic rock , hard rock, and heavy metal from those decades. I think the nu-rock/grunge/nu-metal of the 90's and 2000's sounds like crap. That's half due to the equipment they use and how they play, or try to. Seeing them in the guitar mags giving lessons makes me sick. They should be talking lessons, not giving them. Maybe one day they'll learn how to solo. I don't think most guitarist born since the 90's have a clue what tone is anymore. They re-invented a nu-rock sound that must appeal to them but totally sux from the perspective of some of us that's lived through all the era's of rock since the 60's. Then they preach to the old school players what practice amp to get or not, or tube vs, solid state, more mids or cut mids, or one amp brand over another. Just trust your ears and use what suites your needs is what I say. I don't play guitar for your benefit. I do it to please myself.

And why should I change my sig? Am I supposed to be ashamed and lie about what I use? I wonder how many people are really posers and pretend to be something they are not.
I dont get why tube saturation is not good for metal? Does anyone even have a high-gain tube amp to compare it to? What do you think all of the major metal bands use? What are you basing this on? Dime? He used SS randalls and to me, atleast, its bad.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Last edited by OctoberWind at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1
I guess my discussion thread title 'Marshall MG4 Series Amp Owners' wasn't clear enough without the word OFFICIAL in front of it? I'll remember next time. It's just common sense if you see a title like that it's not meant for the UG amp bashers to jump on in and nay-say. That's just common period. I wasn't asking your opinion of the new MG4 series was good or bad by your standards or that a tube amp is better.

I hear this talk about what tone is, like it's something your can actually quantify and measure. What a waste of time. You might think you know but your audience probably can't tell the differences between gear or EQ settings. It's a purely subjective thing up to each person's perception. You like what you like and I like what I like. To each his own I suppose!

I think the new MG4's sound great, especially the low wattage practice amp models. Compared to the older MG series they are not the same in any respect except being solid state. At least these use analog circuits and a better overall electronic design and power section. They are fine for what they are. They definitely should not be compared to tube amps in any respect and be put down because they are not up to par with what tube amps you use. That's apples to oranges. Now if I were playing for a living and doing shows I'd go with the Marshall tube amps, or some other amp brand of your liking.

Personally, being born in 1959, my teenage years were in the 70's and early adulthood in the 80's, so I tend to prefer the tones of classic rock , hard rock, and heavy metal from those decades. I think the nu-rock/grunge/nu-metal of the 90's and 2000's sounds like crap. That's half due to the equipment they use and how they play, or try to. Seeing them in the guitar mags giving lessons makes me sick. They should be talking lessons, not giving them. Maybe one day they'll learn how to solo. I don't think most guitarist born since the 90's have a clue what tone is anymore. They re-invented a nu-rock sound that must appeal to them but totally sux from the perspective of some of us that's lived through all the era's of rock since the 60's. Then they preach to the old school players what practice amp to get or not, or tube vs, solid state, more mids or cut mids, or one amp brand over another. Just trust your ears and use what suites your needs is what I say. I don't play guitar for your benefit. I do it to please myself.

And why should I change my sig? Am I supposed to be ashamed and lie about what I use? I wonder how many people are really posers and pretend to be something they are not.

Wow... Biggest wall of text I've seen in a long time...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by OctoberWind
I dont get why tube saturation is not good for metal? Does anyone even have a high-gain tube amp to compare it to? What do you think all of the major metal bands use? What are you basing this on? Dime? He used SS randalls and to me, atleast, its bad.

Preamp tube saturation is good, but not power tube, makes it flabby imo. This is why most high gain metal amps, are high wattage like 120 watts for headroom so the power tubes don't break up as easy when using high volumes. Most metal musicians use mesa dual recto's, 6505's etc.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ